PDA

View Full Version : Problems with NXT Tech Protectant and 350Z interior :-(

imoz
Jun 23rd, 2005, 02:56 PM
I tried Tech Protectant once before and swore I would never touch the stuff again. But I decided to give it another try. This stuff isn't working for my applicatioin! I cannot seem to get it to make my door panels look good. They look all splotchy and I can't get rid of the splotches!

I applied the product with a cotton terry cloth towel, spraying the product on the towel and then wiping on the panels. I tried to apply it to the center console without touching the radio, but got a little on the edges of the radio and it appears to have ruined the finish.

Very frustrated!

Mad iX
Jun 23rd, 2005, 04:31 PM
Might be an obvious question, but did you shake the bottle really well before use?
Also, where do you store it? Is it kept at room temperature?

imoz
Jun 23rd, 2005, 05:11 PM
Yes, I shook the bottle. I store it in my garage at room temperature with all of my other supplies, none of the others have any problems.

I need to figure out how to get this product off of my interior parts.

Superior Shine
Jun 23rd, 2005, 06:26 PM
I need to figure out how to get this crappy product off of my interior parts.

:db: I bet gasoline and matches will work! :db:

travisdecpn
Jun 23rd, 2005, 06:30 PM
Try some woolite and water mixed at about 6 parts water, 1 part woolite. With a protectant like NXT, less is more lightly mist your terry towel and gently wipe the surface. Let it sit for about a minute then come back with a different towel and buff off any excess produce. The staining you are seeing is actually the protectant darkening the interior, you could go over the surface with more product and balance the look out.

Pats300zx
Jun 24th, 2005, 01:51 AM
I have a 350Z and NXT Tech Protectorant on the door panels is a big no no. Trust me..been there done that.

I love it in the rest of my interior but not the panels. They tend to smear and blotch with any protectorant I use

I now maintain them with Woolite and Water or Megs Interior Detailer.

Mike Phillips
Jun 24th, 2005, 03:53 AM
Originally posted by imoz
Very frustrated!

Hi imoz,

This product has been out for over a year and used by thousands of people, if not hundreds of thousands of people with nothing but excellent results. It sounds like it may be a problem specific to the material used on this particular model. As such, your feedback is very important. I'm going to pass your e-mail address on to Tom McDonald and he's going to be contacting you to help you resolve the problem.

Thank you for bringing this to our attention on this public forum, I did edit out a few of you words just to keep it family friendly. ;)

Mike Pennington
Jun 24th, 2005, 05:34 AM
Hi imoz,

We appreciate your comments on Tech Protectant. We have not heard of this issue, so thanks for bringing this to our attention.

When our Quality Assurance Manager, Tom MacDonald, returns on Monday, I can assure you he will be in touch with you regarding your concern.

Thanks again for the heads up.

Mike

imoz
Jun 25th, 2005, 06:22 AM
I'm going to head over to the Z day at Raceway park and will snap a few pics of the interior panels in question while I have my digicam out.

On a positive note, the rest of the NXT line has been fantastic on the exterior. I used the show car glaze topped with NXT tech wax and it looks amazing.

Also, now that it has setup for a few days the dashboard and center console look very good. It is just the friggin door panels.

Mike Phillips
Jun 25th, 2005, 06:51 AM
Hi imoz,

Have fun at the Raceway, just to let you know, I didn't know Tom was off when I posted he would be in contact with you until Monday, but I guarantee you when he is back in the office, he will help to resolve this as best and fast as humanly possible.

Pats300zx
Jun 26th, 2005, 11:14 AM
Here is a pic of my black 350Z with 2 coats of NXT. Took second place in the 350Z mod class.

http://archive.meguiarsonline.com/gallery/data/500/2zdayz2005resized1.jpg

(Edit: I resized your photo to 700 pixels -Mike)

I have no problems with the NXT Tech Protectorant on the interior of my 350Z. Several owners have complained about the texture of the door panels. Just maintain them with Interior Detailer or Woolite and Water and you should be fine.

You might also want to try some Aerospace 303 on them. I have heard of no issues with "blotching" with that product.

imoz
Jun 26th, 2005, 11:30 AM
LOL, I think I took some pics of your Z! Did you see the Skyline that a girl showed up with at the end of the day?

There was a Z there that had the whole NXT line sitting in front of the car, I suppose they are sponsored by Meguair's. Anyway, the door panels on that Z also exhibited the same splotchiness.

Maybe it is just the way the light falls on the door panel texture?

Mike Phillips
Jun 26th, 2005, 08:50 PM
Originally posted by Pats300zx
Here is a pic of my black 350Z with 2 coats of NXT. Took second place in the 350Z mod class.

Congratulations! :xyxthumbs :xyxthumbs :xyxthumbs

Pats300zx
Jun 26th, 2005, 11:44 PM

There was a Z there that had the whole NXT line sitting in front of the car, I suppose they are sponsored by Meguair's. Anyway, the door panels on that Z also exhibited the same splotchiness.

Maybe it is just the way the light falls on the door panel texture?

Yeah that Roadster was parked next to me. It was funny. The guy was sponsored by Meguairs but was wiping his car down with a tshirt. Needless to say I gave him a lesson in micro fiber...:xyxthumbs

Tom MacDonald
Jun 27th, 2005, 06:03 AM
Hi,

I have read the thread regarding the problem you have experience with Tech Protectant. Is there any chance you could e-mail me some pictures to look at? That would help me to evaluate the problem more accurately. I recommend that you first wipe down all the problem areas with a warm MOIST towel, followed by a dry towel. After I have a better idea of the interior make-up I will give you a product recommendation to correct and use in the future.

Here is my e-mail and number at the office for future contact.

tmacdonald@meguiars.com
#800-854-8073 ext. 117

I look forward to helping you,

Kindest regards,

Tom Mac Donald
Manager- Quality Assurance/ Customer Retention
Meguiar's Inc

Bama
Jun 27th, 2005, 07:08 AM
:bow Pat sweet Z. The mods look great on that car. The finish looks great. :xyxthumbs

imoz
Jul 2nd, 2005, 08:16 AM
Hi Tom,

Thank you for the reply, and I apologize for not checking back sooner. I am going to take a bunch of pics today and send them over to you this weekend. If we can find a solution to this I am sure I'm not the only Z owner who would be very pleased.

Thanks,
Joe

Mike Phillips
Jul 2nd, 2005, 09:43 AM
Hi Joe,

Just a note that most Meguiar's employees are off until Tuesday.

imoz
Jul 10th, 2005, 01:03 PM
I finally got a chance to take a bunch of digital pics today. Sorry for the delay. The pics are big high resolution photos and should clearly illustrate the problem. I am going to email them off now, and will work on figuring out how to host and post a couple.

For the record, the rest of the NXT line has been excellent, the exterior looks like liquid, and I get a lot of positive comments from random people on the street and at work.

I have also found that the NXT interior detailer works great on tires.

Mike Phillips
Jul 10th, 2005, 01:15 PM
I finally got a chance to take a bunch of digital pics today. Sorry for the delay. The pics are big high resolution photos and should clearly illustrate the problem. I am going to email them off now, and will work on figuring out how to host and post a couple.

We have a photo gallery, here's a link to a thread that explains how what to do...

How to put pictures into your posts (http://www.meguiarsonline.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=3188)

Please resize your photos a maximum of 700 pixels wide and 600 is best.

Thanks!

Mike

imoz
Jul 10th, 2005, 01:28 PM
Ok, I was able to upload the photos to my photo gallery. Here's one of the drivers door panel and one of the passenger door panel:

Driver's Door Panel:
http://archive.meguiarsonline.com/gallery/data/500/2613350zleftdoorpanel_700px-med.jpg

Passenger's Door Panel:
http://archive.meguiarsonline.com/gallery/data/500/2613350zpassengerdoorpanel2_700px-med.jpg

adreed24
Jul 26th, 2005, 07:18 PM
imoz,

Did you ever get an explanation from Meguiar's, about what happened to your Z door panels?

I would like to use the NXT Protectant, but I would like to know if it will create any problems.

Thanks in advance!

Mike Phillips
Jul 26th, 2005, 07:33 PM
I know Tom McDonald is actively working on this.

harddisk
Jul 27th, 2005, 04:45 PM
I have been using NXT Tech Protectant on my dash and door panels and seals without any probs. I suspect your problem could be the result of something else that might have been applied on your door panels prior to you using NXT Tech Protectant on them. Might be an incompatibility issue. Just my 2 cents worth.

romulus
Jul 28th, 2005, 04:30 AM
I was thinking the same. Perhaps something that the dealer or even the supplier of the panel have applied. I think a vinyl cleaner like #39 should clean the NXT protectant and any other products that were applied. Once cleaned apply the NXT protectant to see if you get the blotches. Just make sure to test it in a small hidden area to see.
http://archive.meguiarsonline.com/gallery/data/500/100839_Heavy_Duty_Vinyl_Cleaner.jpg

Tom MacDonald
Jul 30th, 2005, 08:05 AM
I have been looking into this door panel issue with Nissan and have not got much help from them!!:wall: I have visited 3 dealerships and called tech support. Here is what I found from speaking with a 350z owner. These door panels are an unusual material that is pourus. Nissan is changing the inside door panel material next year. Good chance it was due to conerns like this. Using M39 on a moist towel would be my recommendation for cleaning this surface. Because it is pourus I would not recommend spraying directly on the surface. M40 Vinyl and Rubber Cleaner/ Conditioner is a good low gloss product that
would be less likely to turn blochy on the panel, or use QID again spraying on a towel and applying to the door surface.

Hope this information is helpful to you.

Tom

adreed24
Jul 30th, 2005, 05:11 PM
Mr. MacDonald,

Thanks for checking into this NXT/door panel issue.

I have a 2003 Honda Element that has a great deal of interior plastic. This plastic seems to be sensitive to chemicals. The owner's manual even warns you about the use of interior car air fresheners, because the chemicals in some of them, can do permanent damage to the plastic.

I wanted to use the NXT Tech Protectant on the inside of the Element, because of the UV sun protection. I'm still reluctant, because I don't know how the plastic will react to the NXT.

Do you have any suggestions about which product I could use that would give me good UV protection, but not be as questionable to use, like the NXT Tech Protectant?

Thanks in advance!

BTW- Is your avatar a Woodie station wagon that you are restoring? My uncle has 3 of them, in various stages of restoration. It is his favorite classic car.

romulus
Jul 31st, 2005, 05:01 AM
Yes, that is Tom's woodie.

Tom's Woodie (http://meguiarsonline.com/forums/showthread.php?threadid=6633)

adreed24
Jul 31st, 2005, 05:10 PM
That's a great looking Woodie station wagon. It looks like it is fresh from the Ford showroom... 1951. :xyxthumbs

Tom MacDonald
Aug 1st, 2005, 05:30 AM
Thanks. The outside wood is now done and I am waiting on the inside panels to install hopefully this week!!

As for your question regarding NXT on inside plastic. Because of the warning the Honda has for this piece of plastic I would be careful. It sounds like this is a highly sensitve plastic that may just need QID used on it.

Regards,

Tom

GTP-40ANNIV
Aug 1st, 2005, 12:18 PM
A product is only as good as it's customer service !
Thats why I only use Meguiars - and this thread only proves it. :xyxthumbs