PDA

View Full Version : Meguiar's M788 Deep Crystal Ceramic Paint Coating Kit

Nick Winn
Oct 30th, 2019, 12:55 PM
Meguiar's M788 Deep Crystal Ceramic Paint Coating Kit

http://archive.meguiarsonline.com/forums/photopost/data/2691/M78802_DeepCrystalCeramicCoating_Box_pres_final_Custom_.png

Update on M788 10/15/2020:

As many of your know we have been working to launch Meguiar's M78802 Deep Crystal Ceramic Paint Coating Kit since November 2019. Unfortunately the COVID situation and other challenges such as component constraints/sourcing has compounded delays. As a result, Meguiar's has decided to not move forward with launching M78802 Deep Crystal Ceramic Paint Coating Kit in the US.

We apologize for any inconvenience.

True Ceramic Sio2 Coating
Tuned for incredible ease of application that eliminates chances for high spots
Easy to perform future spot repairs - can be easily serviced and re-coated
Provides extreme water beading & self cleaning properties
Available online from detail supply sites & Meguiar's Professional Distributors (No Certification Required) for US
Will be available globally, same formula
50 State VOC/OSHA Federal, State, & Local Government Compliant Formula, REACH Compliant
Recommended 2 Coats

Meguiar's M788 Deep Crystal Ceramic Coating Kit
Product Number: M78802 (kit)
Includes:

1 EA 50mL of M788 Deep Crystal Ceramic Coating
1 EA Meguiar's Tri-Layer No Scratch Applicator Pad
1 EA M122 Surface Prep 6oz Spray Bottle
1 Pair Branded Meguiar's Gloves

MSRP US: $79.99

smack
Nov 5th, 2019, 09:06 AM
Great to see this product made it stateside. Even better no Certification required to purchase.

Nice work Meguiar's

Nick Winn
Nov 5th, 2019, 09:10 AM
Great to see this product made it stateside. Even better no Certification required to purchase.

Nice work Meguiar's

Completely different product than our coating available internationally, just similar branding.

The Guz
Nov 5th, 2019, 09:38 AM
It took awhile but it is good to have another coating option. A good price as well for a 50ml bottle of coating.

dadams2169
Nov 5th, 2019, 12:45 PM
How does the coating compare to the pro sealant? Durability? What best to maintain with booster or new ceramic detailer or liquid ceramic wax. Fortunately I've still got time outgassing paint and not sure how soon these will become available. But maintaining 6 vehicle with different needs got to start asking now and planning ahead.

OhioCarBuff
Nov 5th, 2019, 01:28 PM
What's different about this sealant then the new M27 sealant?

davey g-force
Nov 5th, 2019, 02:10 PM
Yess! We've been waiting a while for this! :db:

Nick Winn
Nov 5th, 2019, 02:57 PM
How does the coating compare to the pro sealant? Durability? What best to maintain with booster or new ceramic detailer or liquid ceramic wax. Fortunately I've still got time outgassing paint and not sure how soon these will become available. But maintaining 6 vehicle with different needs got to start asking now and planning ahead.

Durability for Meguiar's M788 Deep Crystal Ceramic Paint Coating is around 1 year. We wanted to offer a coating in the US which offered the benefits associated with true Ceramic Coatings like great durability, self cleaning, extreme water beading, gloss, slickness, but we wanted it to be able to be used by a wide variety of our pro customers like pro enthusiasts, pro detailers, detail centers at car washes, dealerships, etc. M788 has extremely ease of use while still delivering true ceramic coating qualities.

M27 PRO Hybrid Ceramic Sealant is now our most premium liquid sealant in our professional line, offering in general 6 month durability, along with Ceramic/SiO2 benefits, so M27 does not reach the longevity of M788. M788 is a true coating.

The new Pro products (excluding the RTU Detailer products) will be available sometime in Q1 2020.

Best maintenance for M788 is weekly washing & the new M799 PRO Hybrid Ceramic Bead Booster.

What's different about this sealant then the new M27 sealant?

M27 PRO Hybrid Ceramic Sealant is now our most premium liquid sealant in our professional line, offering in general 6 month durability, along with Ceramic/SiO2 benefits, so M27 does not reach the longevity of M788. M788 is a true coating.

dadams2169
Nov 5th, 2019, 03:18 PM
thanks exactly info i was looking for, m788 kit i assume thats gonna do one vehicle with 2 coats or will it do more than one? heck probably gonna end up with both anyways and one vehicle the liquid wax too. so many new products and updated products santa needs to bring cash or gift certificates hahahaha.

Brian Hann
Nov 5th, 2019, 04:31 PM
The kit should include enough product to do the recommend 2 coats twice (4 coats). Typically that would mean 2 coats on two separate occasions with a good amount of time in between.

OhioCarBuff
Nov 7th, 2019, 06:50 PM
Being this is a true coating, are there any special procedures to remove it before putting new coating on? Say, we apply a fresh coating, then a year or more goes by and ready to put all new coat on, what needs to be done to remove what is left of the existing coat so a fresh coating will bond properly?

The Guz
Nov 7th, 2019, 09:20 PM
Being this is a true coating, are there any special procedures to remove it before putting new coating on? Say, we apply a fresh coating, then a year or more goes by and ready to put all new coat on, what needs to be done to remove what is left of the existing coat so a fresh coating will bond properly?

Like most coatings a decontamination (chemical & mechanical), polish, prep wipe and recoat.

OhioCarBuff
Nov 8th, 2019, 11:13 AM
Like most coatings a decontamination (chemical & mechanical), polish, prep wipe and recoat.

Yeah I figured after a year or more, when re coating at least going over the paint with a clay bar and either polish or compound or both depending on the swirls and overall condition, but curious if you need to go to a higher level then this to remove the remaining coating, like is it tough enough that even a product like M105 isn't strong enough to remove it?

mobiledetail1
Nov 8th, 2019, 03:44 PM
When and where will this be available? Thx

The Guz
Nov 8th, 2019, 08:52 PM
Yeah I figured after a year or more, when re coating at least going over the paint with a clay bar and either polish or compound or both depending on the swirls and overall condition, but curious if you need to go to a higher level then this to remove the remaining coating, like is it tough enough that even a product like M105 isn't strong enough to remove it?

Most coatings form a thin layer than a polish is often enough to remove them. Coatings are not as thick as one thinks. I have played around with many coatings and all are easily removed with a medium cut polish. It is even easier as the coating ages.

Nick Winn
Nov 11th, 2019, 09:59 AM

Actually, M788 Deep Crystal Ceramic Paint Coating does not require a lot of special preparation for a re-application. If the vehicle needs to be clayed, then yes, it should be. If the vehicle needs to be decontamined with a product like our D1801 Iron Decon, yes, it should be & will help with performance of any protection product applied. Compound if needed yes. Application of a finishing polish at minimum like our M210 Ultra Pro Finishing Polish will significantly help with performance of the coating. Other than that, simply an application of the included M122 Surface Prep Spray is required. This was part of the strategy; the ability to do easy touch ups/re-coats. However, after a period of time 6 months, 1 year, etc. the chances that there is some contamination on the vehicle which should be addressed is moderate/high for most daily drivers, unless the vehicle is being cared for at a high level. If the vehicle needs to be clayed, it still should be.

Nick Winn
Nov 11th, 2019, 10:13 AM
When and where will this be available? Thx

Sometime in the first quarter of next year, 2020. On-line & through standard PRO channel distribution like detailing supply stores, automotive paint supply stores, etc.

pcfxer
Nov 25th, 2019, 05:33 AM
AWESOME. FINALLY. YES. SUPERB. A ceramic sealant, just like OptiSeal...yussss. Time to find excuses to wax things with my #16 tins around the house so I can rationalize spending a lot of money in 2020 lol.

Nick Winn
Nov 25th, 2019, 06:34 AM
AWESOME. FINALLY. YES. SUPERB. A ceramic sealant, just like OptiSeal...yussss. Time to find excuses to wax things with my #16 tins around the house so I can rationalize spending a lot of money in 2020 lol.

Glad to hear you are excited. Also, we would put this in the "coating" category. "Sealant" is more commonly referred to liquid or paste products, like our new M27 PRO Hybrid Ceramic Sealant.

pcfxer
Dec 19th, 2019, 07:10 AM
Whoops, got my tabs mixed up. Stoked for this whole new line-up. I've been waxing everything in my house that I can :-)

packfan
Dec 26th, 2019, 07:51 AM
What is the SiO2 content? An approximation will do if you can't give away a trade-secret. FYI, Carpro UK3.0 advertises 70% SiO2 at 99.9% purity and claimed to be the highest concentration of Si02 available in a ceramic coating (when it was released a couple years ago).

Lynn Matthews
Jan 31st, 2020, 08:15 AM
Hey Nick!

Could you post the instillation instructions for this? I get the basics and that the M122 needs to be used first but the actual directions that come with it would be great! ;)

Nick Winn
Jan 31st, 2020, 09:00 AM
Hey Nick!

Could you post the instillation instructions for this? I get the basics and that the M122 needs to be used first but the actual directions that come with it would be great! ;)

Hello! I will absolutely do that but they are not quite out yet! I will have a big article on all recommended situations for application & application instructions. For example, details like dry time, working area, time in between coats, amount of coats & benefits, amount of product, these are almost ready to go. The product will be available for purchase in about one month.

Lynn Matthews
Jan 31st, 2020, 10:05 AM
Perfect, thank you Nick, I have a client that is bringing it in per my recommendation. I am sure it will do great and I look forward to detailed instructions!

Austin Mandingo
Feb 7th, 2020, 01:54 PM
Is there an official release date for this? I can't wait to get my hands on this.

Nick Winn
Feb 13th, 2020, 02:02 PM
Is there an official release date for this? I can't wait to get my hands on this.

The latest I have heard is that it will be in our Distribution Center ready to ship to distributors on the 27th of this month. So most likely available to purchase within the first couple weeks of March.

White_Turbo
Feb 15th, 2020, 09:04 PM
This may or may not be a good time to see this. In the process of a two step polish, was just going to go with a couple coat of wax, but now I am not sure. I assume this should go on before any wax or sealant?

The Guz
Feb 17th, 2020, 12:10 AM
I assume this should go on before any wax or sealant?

That is correct.

Nick Winn
Feb 17th, 2020, 09:23 AM
This may or may not be a good time to see this. In the process of a two step polish, was just going to go with a couple coat of wax, but now I am not sure. I assume this should go on before any wax or sealant?

We would recommend using this in place of a wax/sealant, then maintaining with a spray sealant like our M799 PRO Hybrid Ceramic Bead Booster. This will be your main source of protection, and then you can maintain the hydrophobic portion of the product with our M799.

White_Turbo
Feb 20th, 2020, 05:37 PM
We would recommend using this in place of a wax/sealant, then maintaining with a spray sealant like our M799 PRO Hybrid Ceramic Bead Booster. This will be your main source of protection, and then you can maintain the hydrophobic portion of the product with our M799.

Hmmm.......might as well I guess...yikesyikes

I assume it would also still be ok to put a coat of wax on top of this coating, correct? Just bought a box of new wax, so don't want it go to waste....lol

The Guz
Feb 21st, 2020, 12:19 AM
Hmmm.......might as well I guess...yikesyikes

I assume it would also still be ok to put a coat of wax on top of this coating, correct? Just bought a box of new wax, so don't want it go to waste....lol

You could but you will end up masking the properties of the coating by applying a wax over it.

pcfxer
Feb 24th, 2020, 07:11 AM
So now that Meguiar's has a coating maybe I can get an actual response since Megoo's knows about professionals. If a bodyshop were to spray over a coating that wasn't sufficiently removed, what would happen? What is the least destructive method and test to indicate that a coating is removed?

Nick Winn
Feb 24th, 2020, 08:22 AM
So now that Meguiar's has a coating maybe I can get an actual response since Megoo's knows about professionals. If a bodyshop were to spray over a coating that wasn't sufficiently removed, what would happen? What is the least destructive method and test to indicate that a coating is removed?

There are various methods to work towards "removing a coating". Of course different coatings can be more resilient to removal processes than others & different coatings can be removed with different methods, i.e., chemically, abrasive polish or compound, sanding, however, there is no test to determine whether a coating has been fully removed.

If a body-shop sprays paint over a panel which has a coating which was not sufficiently removed, the paint would likely not adhere properly.

pcfxer
Feb 25th, 2020, 05:30 AM
There are various methods to work towards "removing a coating". Of course different coatings can be more resilient to removal processes than others & different coatings can be removed with different methods, i.e., chemically, abrasive polish or compound, sanding, however, there is no test to determine whether a coating has been fully removed.

If a body-shop sprays paint over a panel which has a coating which was not sufficiently removed, the paint would likely not adhere properly.

Thank you for replying. A lot of other coating companies wouldn't admit to my concerns as you have. I think this leaves the industry wide open unless the coating won't let paint adhere AT ALL and noticeably too, then it becomes painfully obvious that there is an issue and more prep work is needed.

How is gloss with M788 compared with ULCW/ULW? Coatings tend to give up that final few points of ultimate gloss for dependability. What's interesting to me there, is that I've always been impressed with how long ULW lasts through Canadian winters. I'm currently going through my stash of #16 and so far that plan isn't working out because with a UQW application every month, the protection is still excellent.

Edturner3
Mar 26th, 2020, 07:20 AM
When will this new for 2020 product be available?

Nick Winn
Mar 26th, 2020, 07:49 AM
When will this new for 2020 product be available?

Unfortunately it may be another month or so before it is in the hands of a distributor ready for user purchase.

hestes
Apr 30th, 2020, 03:17 AM
Unfortunately it may be another month or so before it is in the hands of a distributor ready for user purchase.

I am so excited about the M788! I've been debating putting a ceramic coat on my vehicle and when I saw Meguiars was coming out with one, that sealed the deal. Is there any update on the expected availability date?

Nick Winn
May 6th, 2020, 11:56 AM
Just wanted to update, we are expecting mid June for this kit to be in your favorites retailers hands ready to sell.

Edturner3
May 7th, 2020, 05:25 AM
Almost a 2021 New Product :laughing

pcfxer
Jul 9th, 2020, 01:49 PM
Almost a 2021 New Product :laughing

Looks like a July 24th ship date...

chuck58
Aug 9th, 2020, 03:37 PM
We all understand the delays, across all facets of industry, due to Covid. But...any update on availability? I can’t find meguiars m788 ceramic coating at the usual places. Many thanks!

chuck58
Aug 9th, 2020, 07:19 PM

Nick Winn
Aug 17th, 2020, 11:18 AM
We do not have an update at this time. Apologies for inconvenience. We will provide an update in this thread when we have more information.

pcfxer
Sep 10th, 2020, 02:42 AM
We do not have an update at this time. Apologies for inconvenience. We will provide an update in this thread when we have more information.

Fingers crossed. I

Nick Winn
Oct 15th, 2020, 12:19 PM
Update on M788:

As many of your know we have been working to launch Meguiar's M78802 Deep Crystal Ceramic Paint Coating Kit since November 2019. Unfortunately the COVID situation and other challenges such as component constraints/sourcing has compounded delays. As a result, Meguiar's has decided to not move forward with launching M78802 Deep Crystal Ceramic Paint Coating Kit in the US.

During the time, however, our team in the lab has not stopped working on new chemistries & technologies.

pcfxer
Oct 15th, 2020, 12:39 PM
Update on M788:

During the time, however, our team in the lab has not stopped working on new chemistries & technologies.

By US, you mean North America?

Nick Winn
Oct 15th, 2020, 02:36 PM
By US, you mean North America?

I am told we are still working on the details for outside of US availability. For most accurate estimate if you are outside the US would recommend reaching out to your favorite Meguiar's Pro Products Distributor in your area.

Jeepster04
Jan 25th, 2021, 07:17 AM
Do you know if Megs ever plans on trying to launch it or did they just give up?

Nick Winn
Jan 25th, 2021, 08:03 AM
Do you know if Megs ever plans on trying to launch it or did they just give up?

Update on M788:

M788 Deep Crystal Paint Coating Kit will not be brought to market in the US. Please reference above comments for further details.

We encourage you to try our new Meguiar's Hybrid Paint Coating (https://meguiarsonline.com/forums/showthread.php?69965-Meguiar-s-Hybrid-Paint-Coating), as of today, 1/25/2021, it is our most advanced protection option available in the US.