PDA

View Full Version : snow removal

SBrown
Feb 8th, 2020, 05:25 PM
Is there a preferred method for clearing snow off of the car other than the brushes sold at the local walmart or parts store? Is there a risk of them damaging paint. I haven't noticed damage so far but thought I would ask to see if I need to change my practice.

wifpd4
Feb 10th, 2020, 08:40 PM
Park indoors? Yeah, I know not possible. I don’t have fancy, special use items. I don’t fully touch the paint surface, glance over it leaving a snow film to melt or blow off. If not icy, I use a gloved hand. Obviously, the goal is to not touch the paint. Never jump in a car covered in 4-6” of snow and take off. That snow will blind you flying into your windshield and the snow on your roof will blow off onto a car behind you.

keeping car clean and was waxed with a long life sealant at the start of winter helps having a slick surface helps a little bit to get snow to slide off.

I keep a bottle of ice remover in the trunk, but using it on ice likely removes wax too.

mrgrtt123
Feb 10th, 2020, 10:04 PM
Getting rid of snow on a car is pretty hard that is why I have to move to a new house with a garage. No matter how hard I tried, I tend to leave a scratch on my car.

Murr1525
Feb 11th, 2020, 06:44 AM
Yeah, I tend to try to leave as thin a layer of snow as possible, just missing the paint.

Sleper
Feb 12th, 2020, 05:49 AM
If it is a light now you could use a leaf blower. otherwise use a brush with soft bristles. A good coat of wax helps.

SBrown
Feb 12th, 2020, 07:21 PM
Thanks, sounds like keep doing what I am doing. I appreciate the feedback and definitely try not to touch the paint.