PDA

View Full Version : Can I use m105? I have M49 but might need something stronger

SX4DUDE2013
Apr 1st, 2020, 11:58 AM
So i plan to polish and restore my boat this weekend. I have the meguairs marine kit that includes M49 oxidation remover. I have a feeling some spots will need something stronger. Can I use M105 if needed? I tried to order M91 but it wont be here in time so I didnt order. Can I use 105 on a wool pad with a orbital polisher? I also have 205 and UC but dont know how those compare to the marine line.
Thanks!

Nick Winn
Apr 1st, 2020, 12:06 PM
So i plan to polish and restore my boat this weekend. I have the meguairs marine kit that includes M49 oxidation remover. I have a feeling some spots will need something stronger. Can I use M105 if needed? I tried to order M91 but it wont be here in time so I didnt order. Can I use 105 on a wool pad with a orbital polisher? I also have 205 and UC but dont know how those compare to the marine line.
Thanks!

Hi SX4DUDE2013,

Yes, you can use M105 Ultra Cut Compound on a fiberglass/gel boat boat surface, however, it technically is designed for automotive paint, so it may not be the best experience. I am not that concerned of you having a bad experience for removing water spots, but if you were trying to remove oxidation, that may be a different story as M105 can gum up trying to remove oxdiation from a boat. Another option if you had to use an automotive compound would be M100 Pro Speed Compound. This product tends to do much better for boats.

Our M67 Marine/RV One Step Compound is a great product also & my favorite for oxidation on boats even over M91, again for oxidation.

This thread is a good reference also in case you have not seen:

Pictures from Meguiar's May 12th, 2018 Marine/RV Care 101 Class (https://meguiarsonline.com/forums/showthread.php?66606-Pictures-from-Meguiar-s-May-12th-2018-Marine-RV-Care-101-Class)

SX4DUDE2013
Apr 1st, 2020, 05:37 PM
Hi SX4DUDE2013,

Yes, you can use M105 Ultra Cut Compound on a fiberglass/gel boat boat surface, however, it technically is designed for automotive paint, so it may not be the best experience. I am not that concerned of you having a bad experience for removing water spots, but if you were trying to remove oxidation, that may be a different story as M105 can gum up trying to remove oxdiation from a boat. Another option if you had to use an automotive compound would be M100 Pro Speed Compound. This product tends to do much better for boats.

Our M67 Marine/RV One Step Compound is a great product also & my favorite for oxidation on boats even over M91, again for oxidation.

This thread is a good reference also in case you have not seen:

Pictures from Meguiar's May 12th, 2018 Marine/RV Care 101 Class (https://meguiarsonline.com/forums/showthread.php?66606-Pictures-from-Meguiar-s-May-12th-2018-Marine-RV-Care-101-Class)

Awesome! Thanks! I was able to get a bottle of m67. Should arrive Sat :)
How much more agressive is it over M49?

Nick Winn
Apr 2nd, 2020, 06:59 AM

It is significantly more aggressive. It is also heavy in polishing oils; a compound & polish in one product.

Nick Winn
Apr 2nd, 2020, 06:59 AM

It is significantly more aggressive. It is also heavy in polishing oils; a compound & polish in one product.

SX4DUDE2013
Apr 2nd, 2020, 07:14 AM

Perfect!
Thats what I need then!
I used M49 last season that came with the kit and it worked okay to polish up where i had some old decals but def didnt have the cut I wanted.
So im hoping it will take care of what I need :)

Can i go directly from M67 to a wax? Or should I go M67 to M49 then wax? Or M67 to the ploish included in the kit and then wax?

Nick Winn
Apr 2nd, 2020, 07:49 AM
Perfect!
Thats what I need then!
I used M49 last season that came with the kit and it worked okay to polish up where i had some old decals but def didnt have the cut I wanted.
So im hoping it will take care of what I need :)

Can i go directly from M67 to a wax? Or should I go M67 to M49 then wax? Or M67 to the ploish included in the kit and then wax?

Old decal fading can stain quite deeply. It's a possibility it may be a more effective approach to sand the area, say try a 3000 grit, like our S6F3000 w/ S6FIS.

We typcially go straight from M67 to a wax like our Flagship Premium Marine Wax. The only time I would see myself doing more than that is if the boat is a dark color or I am trying to get super high end results. You can always test & see if you notice a difference.

SX4DUDE2013
Apr 2nd, 2020, 09:27 AM
Old decal fading can stain quite deeply. It's a possibility it may be a more effective approach to sand the area, say try a 3000 grit, like our S6F3000 w/ S6FIS.

We typcially go straight from M67 to a wax like our Flagship Premium Marine Wax. The only time I would see myself doing more than that is if the boat is a dark color or I am trying to get super high end results. You can always test & see if you notice a difference.

Awesome!
Yes the boat is dark grey and the top is black!
Thanks again for your help!

Nick Winn
Apr 3rd, 2020, 09:40 AM
Awesome!
Yes the boat is dark grey and the top is black!
Thanks again for your help!

Anytime! Feel free to keep us in touch & share before/after pictures if you would like.