PDA

View Full Version : Final Wiping Techniques

Mike Phillips
Aug 17th, 2005, 05:47 AM
Final Wiping Techniques (http://meguiarsonline.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=7820)

Final Wiping Techniques
One mention about your final wiping technique. (Not initial removal of product, but after the most of a product has been removed and now you're just giving the finish a final wipe).

Often times we'll witness people wiping the wax off their car, or giving their car's paint a final wipe using fast, spastic wiping motions. Instead, try this, take your wiping cloth, whether microfiber or cotton, be sure it is large enough to fold it 4 ways to give you plenty of cushion to distribute your hand/finger pressure more evenly over the surface of the side of the cloth in contact with the paint, and then wipe the finish slooooowly, not quickly like you're trying to put a fire out.

Wipe the finish slowly. Give the substance on the surface enough time to transfer to the fibers of the wiping cloth. Think about it... if you move your wiping cloth quickly over the surface, you're only allowing nano-seconds for any small amount of wax/polymer residue to transfer from the paint to the cloth.

If you slow down the rate of travel of the cloth over the finish, you improve the chance for whatever it is you're trying to remove to successfully transfer to the fibers of your wiping cloth.

If you follow all of the above, always using clean, dedicated applicator pads to apply your products, then removing them using clean wiping cloths, your finish should look clear, glossy and rich in color.

"Slow down to speed up"

:)

akimel
Jan 13th, 2009, 09:55 AM
I really like the Ultimate Wipe cloths (http://www.meguiarsdirect.com/product_detail.asp?T1=MEG+M9910) for the final wipe. At least for me, they work very well.

Fischer
Jan 13th, 2009, 09:59 AM
I might have to try that some time. I just lightly mist a microfiber towel with some QD and run it over real quick. Thanks for the tip!

Dibbuz
Jan 13th, 2009, 01:16 PM
Great tip, I have to admit I do it rather quickly as well but I will try this next time!
Is it me or is it strange that the first reply is 3.5 years later than it was posted?

Tuck91
Jan 13th, 2009, 01:34 PM
Great tip, I have to admit I do it rather quickly as well but I will try this next time!
Is it me or is it strange that the first reply is 3.5 years later than it was posted?
yea, that is a long time

akimel
Jan 13th, 2009, 02:02 PM
Yes, it seemed like too long a time to me, too, so I thought I would bump it up for the benefit of all who have not seen this tip. :)

Wilco
Jan 19th, 2009, 06:43 PM
yet, when mol was on the old forum engine, i remember this thread, and mike's invaluable tips stuck to me instantly. i used to be one those fire outage wax removal techniques but not after this thread!

Holden_Caulfield04
Jan 19th, 2009, 08:44 PM
(http://meguiarsonline.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=7820)"Slow down to speed up"

That's a great way to put it. :xyxthumbs

Ganesa
Mar 13th, 2009, 07:32 PM
i love doing this technique.. been doing this everytime.. afraid that any leftover residue might leave a swirl...

To be named later
Mar 13th, 2009, 07:52 PM
RUBBISH!!

The faster I give it the final wipe, the sooner I can stand back and admire my work, and get in and go for a drive!

Oh.....okay, I guess you got a good point there.

Batmobile
Jul 10th, 2010, 10:01 PM
So how should I use the supreme shine microfiber for using Last Touch or buffing paint cleaners or dried wax?

Are they correct?
1. I sprayed Last touch in a panel, spread it using a circular motion with folded by 4 Supreme Shine Microfiber. Then Turn the towel, use a slow circular motion to to the final wipe?

2. I buff dried wax / wet paint cleaners with S Pattern, and then turn the towel an use circular motion to do the final wipe?

3. Should I use Wash mitt it circular or S pattern during washing?

Murr1525
Jul 10th, 2010, 10:18 PM
1. With quick detailer type sprays, you have options. You can spray the cloth, or spray the panel, or do a bit of both. Usually depends on how bit of a problem overspray would be.

2. Wont matter.... Whatever fits the panel you are working on.

3. Wont matter.... Whatever fits the panel you are working on.

Fly Bye
Jul 11th, 2010, 12:14 AM
Depending upon the type of chemical I am using, the ambient temperature and a few other variables, dictates the speed of my buffing/wiping MF. When using a certain instant detailer, depending on how it is acting, I may speed up my hand motion, as to remove residual chemical before it bonds to the finish.

If you think about it, if you move the MF at twice the speed, the MF is in contact with the finish for a lesser duration per wipe, but...there are more wipes per a given time frame, therefore, balances out. Now this theory may be right, or may be wrong, (I stand by what I wrote in my 1st paragraph) but ultimately, it is of high precedence not to instill swirls back into the paint. Yes, you can instill swirls with an MF if you're not careful.

When I am removing wax from a paint finish, I don't see a need to move the MF more quickly.

Ultraman
Aug 22nd, 2010, 04:59 AM
I've been doing the swift, several passes of final wipe for years. I guess I should try this slow wipe technique.

BigBadnBlackSS
Feb 4th, 2011, 06:47 AM
So in other words "Slow down to speed up" = "Slow & Glow" :lolol:

yfwong
Apr 24th, 2013, 12:55 AM
"Slow down to speed up" <---I like this

oaker55
Jul 29th, 2013, 01:43 PM
OK, newb here so be gentle. I've never used QD as a final wipe. I always assumed (I hate that word) that may undermine the fresh wax. So this bears the question, do you use it when you begin to wipe the product off, or after the majority of the product is off and just as the final wipe (with a fresh MF of course)? Another question, I have yet to use UW but that is my next project. Is it important to use UQD with UW or can you use the regular QD with the UW? Thanks guys!

Detailing by M
Jul 29th, 2013, 05:31 PM
Welcome to MOL!!!
I don't understand your first queston so re-ask it differently.
Any detailer spray will work with any wax.

oaker55
Jul 29th, 2013, 05:36 PM
Welcome to MOL!!!
I don't understand your first queston so re-ask it differently.
Any detailer spray will work with any wax.

OK, let me try this differently. After the applied product dries, should the QD be used before removing any of the dried product or should most of the dried product be wiped off with a dry towel before using the QD as a final-final wipe?

Detailing by M
Jul 29th, 2013, 05:42 PM
What "product" are you talking about? That's what I'm not understanding.
Your letting the QD dry? Don't do that it's not a wax.
Spay QD, wipe immediately until it's gone. Also use as little as needed.

oaker55
Jul 29th, 2013, 05:48 PM
What "product" are you talking about? That's what I'm not understanding.
Your letting the QD dry? Don't do that it's not a wax.
Spay QD, wipe immediately until it's gone. Also use as little as needed.

The wax, whatever that may be. I know you don't let the QD dry.

Detailing by M
Jul 29th, 2013, 05:52 PM
oooooooooooooo
ok.

wipe wax off by itself. If you put just enough wax it shouldn't be a problem to take it off with a genital wipe.

Now if you have put the wax on to thick and it's just a pain to remove then yes you can use a QD to help loosen it up.

davey g-force
Jul 29th, 2013, 06:20 PM
take it off with a genital wipe.

:hm1 :lolol:

jw9304
Aug 22nd, 2013, 05:24 PM
im still a noob at all this waxing and detailing, guess I learned something new :angel

Stephan
Sep 8th, 2013, 10:05 AM
PWMD: take it off with a genital wipe.
:hm1 :lolol:

Now I know the difference between an ULTIMATE wipe and Supreme wipe...

STRIFE
Sep 8th, 2013, 10:54 AM
PWMD....just what kind of detailing are you into?? :hide1

HK Blackbird
Oct 28th, 2013, 12:36 AM
If you put just enough wax it shouldn't be a problem to take it off with a genital wipe.

That's counter-intuitive. Doesn't the lube smear?