PDA

View Full Version : Bugs Bugs and more Bugs

00GREENMACHINE
Aug 22nd, 2005, 01:43 PM
Bugs Bugs and more Bugs (http://meguiarsonline.com/forums/showthread.php?t=7932)

I need to know what everyone uses to break up the dried on bugs. I have tried several things nevthing ever seems to break up the bugs and I end up with a sore arm.

Anything that helps.

LMK

rusty bumper
Aug 22nd, 2005, 02:21 PM
Originally posted by 00GREENMACHINE
I need to know what everyone uses to break up the dried on bugs. I have tried several things nevthing ever seems to break up the bugs and I end up with a sore arm.

Anything that helps.

LMK

Have you tried soaking the bugs when you wash your car?

They tend to come off easier after the water & soap has had a chance to penetrate them.

Mike Phillips
Aug 22nd, 2005, 02:36 PM
One of the people that attended a detailing class a while back recommended placing a wet wash rag on a dried bug and letting it soak for a while, if your car's body style lends itself to this kind of thing you could take this though one step further and saturate a bath towel and place it on the front of your car and then while washing the rest of the car periodically re-wet the towel to enable water to continually be in contact with the dried bugs. After you finish washing all of the rest of the car, remove the wet towel and wash the front of the car, hopefully by then the bug splatter will have softened enough to enable you to wash and loosen them from the finish.

rusty bumper
Aug 22nd, 2005, 03:08 PM
Originally posted by Mike Phillips
One of the people that attended a detailing class a while back recommended placing a wet wash rag on a dried bug and letting it soak for a while, if your car's body style lends itself to this kind of thing you could take this though one step further and saturate a bath towel and place it on the front of your car and then while washing the rest of the car periodically re-wet the towel to enable water to continually be in contact with the dried bugs. After you finish washing all of the rest of the car, remove the wet towel and wash the front of the car, hopefully by then the bug splatter will have softened enough to enable you to wash and loosen them from the finish.
Sounds like a great idea.

I've seen the time when I wanted to remove a few tough bugs from the windshield without getting the car wet in the process.

Looks like a person could soak a sponge and place it over the bug/glass without wetting the car.

00GREENMACHINE
Aug 22nd, 2005, 04:05 PM
Originally posted by Rusty Bumper
Have you tried soaking the bugs when you wash your car?

They tend to come off easier after the water & soap has had a chance to penetrate them.

how do you soak them when they are on a vertical surface?

rusty bumper
Aug 22nd, 2005, 04:44 PM
Read Mike's suggestion above and see if that might be feasible.

05PhillyStang
Aug 22nd, 2005, 05:06 PM

A little QD on a MF towel then hold it there for a few seconds. they come right off. That's the process I use when I'm walking back to the car and notice a bug splatter, but the car is not in need of a wash. I suppose water can be used in this scenario as well. The QD is probably only saturating the bug at this point, so water will probably do the same. If you are in process of washing, soapy water couldn't hurt

Bama
Aug 23rd, 2005, 03:51 AM
I too have a problem with bugs this time of year.

I recommend the following:

1. a good coat of wax (makes removal easier)

2. a good instant detailer, like Quik Detailer

I remove the bugs atleast every two days with the detailer and a 100% deep pile terry towel. A microfiber just doesn't have enough bite to remove bugs, imo. Spray the QD and let in penetrate for a minute. Then spray the QD again and remove. Then repeat process if necessary. Then buff with a clean towel. This proactive approach will keep your vehicle looking good and make washing a lot easier. It only takes a few minutes to use this process.

Some insects if not removed fairly quickly will bond with the paint and etch your surface. It is easier to spend 10 minutes a couple of times a week rather than later having to repaint your vehicle or having to bring out the power equipment to try to fix the surface defects.

evo77
Aug 23rd, 2005, 05:02 AM
These tips might work well on a recently waxed surface but what about a neglected one?

Bug splatters will stick much harder to a wax-less surface and will always be more difficult to remove.

Is there a product from the Meguiars lineup that can be applied directly to the trouble spots to rub away the bug guts? Maybe a bug and tar remover or something?

evo77
Aug 23rd, 2005, 05:05 AM
Ah-ha, just found these. :xyxthumbs

http://store1.yimg.com/I/classic-motoring_1860_2769830

gb387
Aug 23rd, 2005, 05:43 AM
One thing that I do... if I have been on a long buggy trip or I have tons of baked on bugs I will stop at the coin op wand wash first thing and rinse the bugs off then take my truck home and finish up with a hand wash.

I like the soak with a towel idea. :xyxthumbs

Mike Phillips
Aug 23rd, 2005, 05:48 AM

You don't, the technique is limited to where a wash rag or towel will lay without falling off. It's not a perfect solution, just an idea. I'm getting ready to wash our Pilot and I just inspected it for bug splatter and didn't find any. I will however mock up a photo to show the technique.

Bama
Aug 23rd, 2005, 07:51 AM
Gold Class Bug and Tar Remover works well also, but it remove the wax. So, you will need to rewax.

Mike Phillips
Aug 23rd, 2005, 10:16 AM
This tip was given to me by a forum member who attended one of our Saturday Detailing classes, I can't remember his name but I think he's a friend of Buellwinkle?

If you have dried on bug splatter, typically on the front of your car where they impact, and you want to loosen and remove the splatter without having to scrub the area with force as so not to instill any scratches into your finish, what you need to do is to soften or re-liquefy the dried bug guts.

Here is the sugggestion...

Take a wash rag and saturate it with water or your car wash solution.

http://archive.meguiarsonline.com/gallery/data/500/2WetWashRag.jpg

Place the wet wash rag on top of the dried bug splatter and allow it to sit for a few minutes. A variation of this would be to use warm/hot water.

http://archive.meguiarsonline.com/gallery/data/500/2WetWashRag2.jpg

To speed up the process, apply some gentle pressure while drinking a cold soft drink and if need be, hum or whistle a little diddy.

http://archive.meguiarsonline.com/gallery/data/500/2WetWashRag3.jpg

Another variation of this would be to apply some Meguiar's Bug and Tar Remover to the wet wash rag before applying it to the dried bug splatter.

http://archive.meguiarsonline.com/gallery/data/500/2BugTarRemover.jpg

After a few minutes have passed give the area a gentle wipe-off and the bug splatter should remove easily. Then either wash the car as normal or wipe the area down with a quick detailer.

Mike Phillips
Aug 23rd, 2005, 10:19 AM
A variation of the above but for a larger area would be to use a larger cloth such as a bath towel. Saturate a clean, soft 100% cotton towel with water and place it over the affected area.

http://archive.meguiarsonline.com/gallery/data/500/2WetTowel1.jpg

http://archive.meguiarsonline.com/gallery/data/500/2WetTowel2.jpg

Allow the wet towel to sit for a short period of time and then remove the towel and wash as normal or wipe the area down with a quick detailer.

Buellwinkle
Aug 23rd, 2005, 01:52 PM
There is an altenative, Prowax makes a product called Bug Guard that you spray on and it dries as a coating that bugs stick to protecting the paint. Then you hose off the coating and the bugs, bird poo, small animals just rinse off. I don't live in an area with bugs but I mentioned it to my Florida friend and he loved it.

prowax.com

Jbirk
Aug 25th, 2005, 05:40 PM
I would soak them and then try to remove them by washing.

when that doesn't work, soak again with bug and tar remover.

That will work if you are patient enough.

As for protection, I have found Wax to suffice. Nxt offers the greatest protection; I think.

I have found that even a month after waxing with Nxt Liquid, bugs don't stick. Tar doesn't either.

Everything washes off. I even waxed my wheels to prevent break dust from sticking.

Buellwinkle
Aug 25th, 2005, 06:46 PM
I agree, NXT works great at keeping bugs from sticking in So Cal, but go to a place like Florida and you've never seen so many bugs. My cousin picked me up at the airport in Orlando. He just washed his white car and the 40 minute drive to the airport turned the front of his car black with bugs.

Tim Lingor
Aug 25th, 2005, 07:11 PM
Hey,

Being that I live in BC, I know bugs during the summer! :( I make sure to keep a good coat of sealant on the vehicle at all times. I then use a pressure washer to wash the bugs off. The bugs usually come right off with little trouble. On my last camping trip, knowing I was heading into the remote mountains, I applied Meg's Last Touch to the front of the truck and travel trailer. This seemed to really help to prevent the bugs from sticking. A simple wash took them right off! :)

Tim

BlkBear
Aug 25th, 2005, 07:42 PM
Originally posted by Mike Phillips

Mike this is exactly what many people did (and I'll assume still do) in Florida during "Love Bug Season", those soft bodied bags of flying bug guts, will cake up a car going the speed limit like it's your birthday!

Just soap up the towel and lay it on the car after rinsing as much bug gunk off the paint, as will come off. Warm (NOT HOT), water helps if you can keep the car/towel wet so it does not dry out at all.

I always use a bucket of warm, soapy wash water just for the front bumper and hood and several towels, turning them over when checking the removal process, because not only will there be bugs, but any thing from the air and road that stuck to their pulpy mess, will also be stuck on the paint. So you don't want to do any rubbing with wash or soaking towels, until you have 99% visible the crude off.

Mike Phillips
Jan 23rd, 2007, 03:22 PM
Moving to Hot Topics because it's become a Hot Topic

:dp: :dp: :dp: :dp: :dp: :dp: :dp: :dp: :dp:

RZ Autodetailing
Jan 23rd, 2007, 09:51 PM
Poorboys , bugsquash,its some really good stuff, spray on prewash, let dwell for a few minutes then start your wash and bugs should wipe right off.I also use on very dirty and tar riden lower panels and it really loosens up hard to remove debris.

J. A. Michaels
Jan 24th, 2007, 03:50 AM
:confused: Hi everyone, last summer this question came up about the Fl love bugs. If I remember correctly the most notable suggestion was as follows. Take a fabric softener sheet, wet it and wipe off the bug splatter. I mentioned this to a neighbor after he came home one night. The next morning he went out there and all of the bugs came off. I could'nt see any scratches inflicted by this process.

jfelbab
Jan 24th, 2007, 06:19 AM
I love using ine of the Versa-Angle Body Brushes for this. First wet down the bugs to soften them up then using sudsy water lightly agitate with the body brush and they easily come off. The brush doesn't scratch so it's very safe.

http://meguiars.com/estore/products/product_X1030.jpg http://meguiars.com/estore/products/product_X1040.jpg

Mike Phillips
Feb 16th, 2008, 04:59 PM
***Bump***

Detailer420
Mar 1st, 2008, 08:00 PM
i use a bug pad then some old claybar

jfelbab
Mar 5th, 2008, 12:25 PM
I might also recommend regular (read daily) use of UQD to the front area of the car. This is quite slippery stuff and the bugs hardly stick to the paint after an application of UQD. Those that do stick wash off much more easily.

I applied NXT 2.0 a couple months back and have been using UQD before I hit the freeway and I am very impressed at the difference.

Big j
Mar 5th, 2008, 07:59 PM
What is UQD? Thanks I am an amateur!!

jfelbab
Mar 6th, 2008, 05:45 AM
What is UQD? Thanks I am an amateur!!

Ultimate Quik Detailer. You can read about it here: http://www.meguiars.com/?car-maintenance/Ultimate-Quik-Detailer

Very slippery stuff.

And welcome to the Mequiar's on-line forum. You will find lots of great information here as well as the friendliest people and mods. Glad you found the forum.

roadhog
Mar 19th, 2008, 09:46 AM
I wash the vehicle first. Then I apply Turtle Wax Bug, Tar & Tree Sap Remover. This stuff works great, and a little bit goes a long way. I have been using the same can for around 15 years and I still have at least a third of it left.
Roadhog

Tillmanator
Mar 19th, 2008, 02:01 PM
I believe it was my question last summer. And if I recall correctly the title was the same also, only I capitalized the last BUGS!

I used the fabric softener sheet and it worked beautifully. I keep some in my detailing bag all the time now... just in case.

:confused: Hi everyone, last summer this question came up about the Fl love bugs. If I remember correctly the most notable suggestion was as follows. Take a fabric softener sheet, wet it and wipe off the bug splatter. I mentioned this to a neighbor after he came home one night. The next morning he went out there and all of the bugs came off. I could'nt see any scratches inflicted by this process.

mongo
Jun 24th, 2008, 09:53 AM
Wet a sheet of fabric softener then go over the area before washing that should help.

Or user a Grout Sponge I have found it works great on cutting these off the paint.

People are using these for wahing the paint but I don't like them for rhat they marr but for bugs its Great.:xyxthumbs

buddy89
May 21st, 2009, 02:34 AM
Hey everyone, i hope everyone one is well....

I know this is an old thread, but everyone struggles with bugs sometimes...

I dont know if this is frowned upon amongst the clan but for bugs, especially dried on ones, i use APC diluted 4:1... works a treat everytime... I simply spray on to affected areas of vehicle and allow to soak for a few minutes then hose off with steady stream of water... Of course you will have to rewax the area but it pull everything off...

Hope it helps