PDA

View Full Version : what pad and speed to use with rubbing compound?

dc11r
Sep 17th, 2005, 01:07 AM
Hi,

This is my first post, but i've been browsing the forums for the longest time.

I noticed on the sticky thread with the pad/speed/product recommendations, compounds were listed with a rotary only... thing is, with my paint, i have some imperfections/cracks on my clear (or i hope its the clear and not under it). I've tried M80 and M83 with no success, and I dont want to go rotary just yet. I have a Megs cutting pad (the brown/red color pad) thats sitting around in its unopened plastic... so i just use that with rubbing compound? if so, what speed should i use? I have a lot of other megs pads as well....

any help would be great.

Thanks

Mike Phillips
Sep 17th, 2005, 01:18 AM
Hi dc11r,

Welcome to Meguiar's Online! :wavey

Meguiar's doesn't recommend using either of their compounds or the W-7006 foam cutting pad with the dual action polisher and if M83 with a W-8006 foam polishing pad when used with the dual action polisher isn't' aggressive enough then it's time to break out the rotary buffer or take it to a Professional.

Read through this thread...

http://meguiarsonline.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=3056

Accumulator
Sep 17th, 2005, 06:24 AM
Trying to do "rotary work with the PC" can be a lot riskier than just using the rotary.

Note that "rubbing compound" covers a lot of different products, gotta be careful as some will work fine by PC/hand but many will not.

And if the clear's really *cracked* there's nothing you can do to fix it.

Gee, that's a bummer of a reply, huh? :o

Edit: maybe the newly reformulated #2 Fine Cut Cleaner would be something to consider.