PDA

View Full Version : Glaze #7 vs #5

spriro
Apr 26th, 2004, 07:23 AM
I've used #7 and love it. But like others probably experienced it's probably not the easiest products to remove especially in humid condition.

I attended a seminar by Rod Kraft earlier this month, he pointed out that #5 New car glaze will probably a better choice of products for humid ares. We did not have any demonstration comparing the 2 products side by side.

Thats why I'm curious. Has anyone used both products and could you give the review in terms of the result. Is it a similar wet look and paint darkening effect like the #7?

I hope Mike Phillips will chime in on this one.

Thanks,
-S-

Mike Phillips
Apr 26th, 2004, 07:43 AM
Originally posted by spriro
I've used #7 and love it. But like others probably experienced it's probably not the easiest products to remove especially in humid condition.

I attended a seminar by Rod Kraft earlier this month, he pointed out that #5 New car glaze will probably a better choice of products for humid areas. We did not have any demonstration comparing the 2 products side by side.

That’s why I'm curious. Has anyone used both products and could you give the review in terms of the result. Is it a similar wet look and paint darkening effect like the #7?

I hope Mike Phillips will chime in on this one.

Thanks,
-S-

Hi spriro,

Rod is correct in that #5 New Car Glaze will be easier to remove, especially in humid climates, but it also dries very white and leaves a lot of white powder residue. This product came out in the 1950's for Acrylic Lacquer paints.

If you like #7 Show Car Glaze but want something that is easier to remove from a clear coat finish, pick up a bottle of
M-81 Hand Polish (http://www.meguiars.com/store_meguiars/product_detail.cfm?sku=M-81).

Same excellent, deep gloss results, easier to work with on modern clear coat finishes. While this product is recommend to be applied by hand, it applies excellent using a PC also.

Mike

Tim Lingor
Apr 26th, 2004, 11:57 AM
Hey,

I would strongly second Mike's suggestion for the #81 Hand Polish!! You will love the look it will give to your paint! :)

Tim

spriro
Apr 26th, 2004, 12:20 PM
I'll definetly try that after I used up my #7.

BTW Which pad would you use to apply Glaze with DA Polisher?

Mike Phillips
Apr 26th, 2004, 12:22 PM
Either the W-8006 foam polishing pad (http://www.meguiars.com/store_meguiars/product_detail.cfm?sku=W-80), or the Meguiar's W-9006 foam finishing pad (http://www.meguiars.com/store_meguiars/product_detail.cfm?sku=W-90).

On the 2-4 setting.

Mike

spriro
Apr 26th, 2004, 12:27 PM
If I used my polishing pad for #9 and use it for #7 after hand wash and air dry it, Am I compromising the result?

I only have one for now.

rusty bumper
Apr 26th, 2004, 09:27 PM
Originally posted by spriro
If I used my polishing pad for #9 and use it for #7 after hand wash and air dry it, Am I compromising the result?

I only have one for now.

I don't see where it would hurt anything myself, but #7 can be applied by hand also....Just be sure to use a Hi-Tech foam pad.

RamAirV1
Apr 27th, 2004, 05:22 PM
You will find that it takes awhile for the pads to air dry, maybe even a few days. You are better off having a pad for each product. The pads do clean up nice though as Tim suggested. Soak them in Dawn for a few hours rinse them out well and let them air dry.

I third the suggestion of using #81. And use a Ultimate Wipe microfiber towel for the final wipe off. If you use a PC to apply #81 (which works great BTW) use an Ultimate Bonnet for removal. IMHO the Utlimate Bonnets are a must-have for anyone who owns a PC!

If you can't find the #81 you can try the Deep Crystal Polish (Step 2) which does a nice job too.

RamAirV1