PDA

View Full Version : ? on #16.

kellyinkc
Sep 23rd, 2005, 02:45 PM
OK guy's scored some #16:xyxthumbs .
Now being a NOOB is this a "pure" carnuaba? I have not used this product. Going to use DC2 then this on black. Was'nt sure if this was a blend or pure. Thanks for a great forum!!

Kelly

Ranger72
Sep 23rd, 2005, 02:46 PM
Blend... Meanign that it contains pure carnuba amonst other things.

Mike Phillips
Sep 24th, 2005, 05:35 AM
It's a blended in wax in that it contains more ingredients for protection and beauty than the single ingredient Carnauba.

Do a search and use the words blended Carnauba, this should pull up some information already typed up.

M16 is a Pure wax in that it contains no ingredients with the intended purpose of cleaning the finish. It must be, and should only be applied to finishes in excellent condition, that mean clean and smooth.

Please, only apply a very thin coat as this is a true hard wax and if you apply a thick coat you will have the opportunity to test your wax removing skill to their utmost limit.

:D :D :D

Have fun with it...

rusty bumper
Sep 24th, 2005, 06:07 AM
Pure carnauba by itself would not work too well would it?

kellyinkc
Sep 24th, 2005, 08:33 AM
Thanks!! This ought to be fun. I am going to fully prep the paint first.

1. Wash with GC shampoo
2. Quik Clay
3. DC1
4. DC2

Going to remember to make sure the metal is COOLbefore i begin.

Kelly

Accumulator
Sep 24th, 2005, 11:27 AM
Noting that this is posted in the G-100 Forum, I hope you try applying it with the machine (use a finishing pad). I use speed 4 or so and I let the machine "work" the product, spreading it out over an ever-increasing area. It's pretty incredible how far a little of this wax will go. The random orbits of the machine make for nice, complete (and uniform) coverage.

I first prime the pad with wax by rubbing it *gently* against the wax, and then I scrape as much wax as I can back *out* of the pad. Try to get a fairly uniform coating of wax on the pad and then try to scrape even more out. I use a plastic razor blade or a rubber squeegee (sp?), which I'll also use to add more wax to the pad as needed. Always try to remove excess wax from the pad after you apply any to it.

You can get tight spots by pulling the pad off the machine.

When your'e finished there should *not* be a whole bunch of wax still in the pad, though there will be some. I use hot water and Dawn (or an all purpose cleanser) to clean the pad out. Don't worry about a little wax residue remaining, it won't hurt anything next time.

Note that a can of #16 should last many years.

MB///HRV
Sep 24th, 2005, 02:37 PM
Originally posted by Rusty Bumper
Pure carnauba by itself would not work too well would it?

Nope. Carnauba wax comes from a palm tree. Pure carnauba is very hard and must have something added to it before it can be used on cars.

TKDDAD
Sep 26th, 2005, 08:28 AM
Originally posted by kellyinkc
Thanks!! This ought to be fun. I am going to fully prep the paint first.

1. Wash with GC shampoo
2. Quik Clay
3. DC1
4. DC2

Going to remember to make sure the metal is COOLbefore i begin.

Kelly

SO.....how did the detail job come out ??:confused:

And where did you "score" the #16 ?....would love to get some to try it....

kellyinkc
Sep 26th, 2005, 12:49 PM
Did not have time this weekend. Ran into probs on installing brakes. Rotors were rusted on to the hubs.:wall: :wall: :wall:
After some pesuasion and a torch they came off. Then Murphy showed up again and check engine light came on, car missing badly:mad:

I scored the #16 at O'reill'ys. Maybe that was my secret:D
They had one in the warehouse. Might check a local one if they are in your area. I think Des Moines, Iowa warehouse has 8!!!

Buellwinkle
Sep 26th, 2005, 05:57 PM
I bought a few cans not that long ago from WestMarine.com and they still show it in stock. Great wax, too bad it took discontinuing it for me to notice it. As Mike mentioned, apply it very thin which is very easy to do as it goes on so quick and easy. Don't know the purpose of using the G-100 as it has no cleaning ability so all you can do with it is put in on as quickly and evenly as possible and then remove. I can understand using the G-100 with NXT because of the cleaners. For me, I applied it over NXT which made it last longer and shined even more than NXT alone (who knew that was possible).

Accumulator
Sep 27th, 2005, 06:38 AM
Originally posted by Buellwinkle
Don't know the purpose of using the G-100 as it has no cleaning ability so all you can do with it is put in on as quickly and evenly as possible and then remove...

You know how the "trick" to using #16 is to "turn it liquid"? This is much more easily accomplished by machine, at least IMO.

Djmigs
Sep 27th, 2005, 11:33 AM
Thank You!!!!!!!

Buellwinkle :xyxthumbs

for informing me were to get a can of #16
i had to try it atleast once in my lifetime..lol

:bounce

TKDDAD
Sep 28th, 2005, 06:06 AM
I bought a few cans not that long ago from WestMarine.com and they still show it in stock. Great wax, too bad it took discontinuing it for me to notice it. As Mike mentioned, apply it very thin which is very easy to do as it goes on so quick and easy. Don't know the purpose of using the G-100 as it has no cleaning ability so all you can do with it is put in on as quickly and evenly as possible and then remove. I can understand using the G-100 with NXT because of the cleaners. For me, I applied it over NXT which made it last longer and shined even more than NXT alone (who knew that was possible).

Thanks SO much for the heads up Buellwinkle !!...I was able to get a can online @ West Marine !!....should be here in a couple of days and then I can try it this weekend !!...

TKDDAD
Sep 30th, 2005, 07:25 AM
MY can of #16 showed up today !!!!...:db: :bounce :db:

Just in time to use it on my in-laws badly neglected black buick century...I'll post befores and afters on Monday....should be fun as it's supposed to be a BEAUTIFUL weekend here....thanks again Buellwinkle for the lead to WestMarine....I really appreciate it!!

TKDDAD
Oct 6th, 2005, 01:24 PM

I'm going to try that next when I do my car...NXT then #16...can't wait to try this wax as I've read so much about it....thanks for the tip !:xyxthumbs

TKDDAD
Oct 6th, 2005, 01:25 PM
Originally posted by TKDDAD
MY can of #16 showed up today !!!!...:db: :bounce :db:

Just in time to use it on my in-laws badly neglected black buick century...I'll post befores and afters on Monday....should be fun as it's supposed to be a BEAUTIFUL weekend here....thanks again Buellwinkle for the lead to WestMarine....I really appreciate it!!

Well actually never used #16 on the in-laws car since I didn't have any time left in the day before the car left...

Djmigs
Oct 6th, 2005, 03:34 PM
Hi TKDDAD,

Did you finally use the m16?

i received my order the same day as you from the same place, i just didnt have time since i been putting in long hours, i bought three cans of m16....just wanted to see how easy it is to apply and remove with machine if not the by hand ..

i probably wont use it till next week or so....

Let us Know how it turns out....:xyxthumbs

Accumulator
Oct 7th, 2005, 05:09 AM
Originally posted by Djmigs
i had to try it atleast once in my lifetime..

...i bought three cans of m16....

Heh heh, if you apply it as thinly as you oughta, those three cans will probably last you the rest of your life ;)

Any way to *further* stress how you folks need to *not* put it on thick? I'd rather be a broken record about this than have somebody struggle with a too-thick application that dried like cement.

If there's a lot of #16 left in your pad at the end of the job, well, that's a clue to use a lot less next time.

Mike Phillips
Oct 7th, 2005, 05:13 AM
Originally posted by Accumulator
Any way to *further* stress how you folks need to *not* put it on thick? I'd rather be a broken record about this than have somebody struggle with a too-thick application that dried like cement.

I agree very strongly with this statement. I've seen people put toweling scratches into their car's paint from pushing too hard and struggling to remove too thick of a coat of M16.

TKDDAD
Oct 7th, 2005, 10:00 AM
Hi TKDDAD,

Did you finally use the m16?

i received my order the same day as you from the same place, i just didnt have time since i been putting in long hours, i bought three cans of m16....just wanted to see how easy it is to apply and remove with machine if not the by hand ..

i probably wont use it till next week or so....

Let us Know how it turns out....:xyxthumbs

Hi Djmigs....you must be the one that bought out what they had because they don't list it any more on their site...I agree, 3 cans will last forever....I haven't used it yet but maybe this weekend if weather cooperates...gonna clay, NXT, and then #16...I'll post when I'm done...

Buellwinkle
Oct 14th, 2005, 08:16 PM
My wife got a new car this past weekend so we had to sell her '97 silver Honda CR-V. I wax it with #16, put #38 on the black bumpers/trim, sprayed tire shine stuff on the tires and detailed the interior with the new interior detailing spray and the car looked and smelled fantastic. Took it to the car sale at the local college and people couldn't stay away, sold in 10 minutes with 2 offers. Mike was right, detailing the engine with Hyperdressing gave them the impression that I must be doing my oil changes every 2K miles for it to look like that good. :db: