PDA

View Full Version : carpet sand n dirt removal ?

WhiteCamaro88
Oct 3rd, 2005, 09:53 AM
i have a 94 z28 camaro preety well neglected interior wise , so its 11 years sand build up anyways i vacumn the carpet which is preety thick and it looks clean not a spec of dirt but if i take a brush and apply pressure back and forth there sand flying all over the sand is caked in horribly but the due to the thickness of the carpet the shop vac wont pick up all the sand

any ideas on gettin the caked in stuff out

George Wax
Oct 3rd, 2005, 09:58 AM
I would try a combination of a powerfull extractor hot tank machine, and a air compressor to blowout sand dirt etc, there is no easy way out to your situation.

Murr1525
Oct 3rd, 2005, 10:01 AM
Yeah, sounds like some sort of liquid may be neeeded with an extractor to really lift it out.

gb387
Oct 3rd, 2005, 11:36 AM
Do you have a small vacuum with a "beater brush". That may also help loosen the sand... something more than just suction (shop-vac).

Teak
Oct 3rd, 2005, 02:27 PM
Is this your Camaro?

If the camaro is yours I suggest the following:
Vacuum with high power vacuum
High power hot water extractor (as suggested already)
Vacuum with agitation (as suggested already)
Take the carpet out of the car and pressure wash. Use shop vac or extractor to remove some water after PW.
Vacuum with high power vacuum or hot water extractor.
Replace the carpet

Eric

Shiny Lil Detlr
Oct 3rd, 2005, 03:25 PM
An extractor would be the ideal solution, but failing that I'd invest in an agitating brush like one of the Black and Decker power scrub brushes. Just go over the carpet with the shopvac, use the brush, and go at it again. Repeat until there isn't much **** comming up out of the carpets.

I'm currently working on a '99 Z28 interior that has been rather neglected; I'm finding that the above procedure is the best route to take. Without a GOOD extractor, wetness only turns the dirt and sand into sludge which is almost worse to try removing.

HOWEVER, I've also found that once you've got the worst of it out, using a steamer and shopvac can prove beneficial at removing stains and stubborn road salt/etc.

WhiteCamaro88
Oct 4th, 2005, 05:01 AM
yea i the car is my own and i only have access to a shop vac as far as vacumn but i have a air compressor it helps but there is alot of sand caked in i was thinking of oxy clean with hot water its worth a shot i guess with 11 years of dirt accumulated
will oxy clean change the color of carpet or anything ?
how does it work i dilute the silute with water and pour on let it soak and then vacumn ?

Blue Thunder
Oct 5th, 2005, 03:34 AM
Why don't you go completley old school and take the carpet out and beat it from behind with a tennis racket or something like that. People cleaned carpets like that for 100's of years. Let gravity be your friend.

Paulvr4
Oct 11th, 2005, 09:45 AM
I went silly and used the pressure washer to do quick blips of water to loosen the dirt - then sucked it up w/ the shopvac.