PDA

View Full Version : How to repair cracked leather...

spotdog14
Nov 1st, 2005, 10:26 AM
Ok, so i just got done with a weeked detail of my girlfriends 1995 Ford Explorer Limited. It has 150,000 miles on this beast and still runs great, and even gets 17 mpg in the city. (yes its a 4x4)

Ok, so when i was cleaning the interior i noticed that her drivers seat, and some of the passenger seat are starting to crack.

I know how to prevent this, i just dont knwo how to repair it once it has happened. I have all the leather care products from meguiars, and i have tried the aloe cleaner, and the conditioner, and the Classic Gold leather care. I know they are not ment to repair cracks but the seats needed a good cleaning anyways.

So what can i do? I will take some pictures for yah and show you what i mean..

Thanks!

Murr1525
Nov 1st, 2005, 10:53 AM
I think the most honest answer is you cant do much. Only keep it from getting worse.

Snowman
Nov 1st, 2005, 11:10 AM
i do believe that MURR is correct on this one that you really can't do much with them once they have appeared, but you can prevent from happening again. I wish there was some way though because I have a few in my drivers seat.

Larry A
Nov 1st, 2005, 11:42 AM
Their are companys that repair leather seats for car dealers. They can patch holes and fill cracks, and then redye everthing so the color matches. A friend of mine had a 1989 Caddy that the whole front seat was all cracked up. They filled the cracks, repaired a hole , repaired the arm rests, and redid the steering wheel , and redyed the front seat to match . It looked very good and only cost him $200.00. Check with new car dealers in your area and see where they get that kind of work done.

Electric Shepherd
Nov 1st, 2005, 12:03 PM
Assuming you've got nowhere with the Megs products there's a couple of options I might suggest.

I know some guys on the UK TT forum who've used Swissol leather healer with good results on scuffs/scratches and it claims to do a good job on cracked leather.

Another product that I use is Liquid Leather cleaner and conditioner. In the UK they also have something called 'Scuff Master' which may do what you're after:

http://www.liquidleather.com/images/coloursm.jpg
Taken from their site.

Liquid Leather is a Gliptone product but I couldn't see 'Scuff Master' on the US site so not sure if you guys get it or not.