PDA

View Full Version : Engine Compartment Clean & Shine

gratzz00
Nov 10th, 2005, 06:58 PM
Hi,

Can anyone recommend me which Meguiar's consumer product good for cleaning and shining the engine compartment?

Thanks.

travisdecpn
Nov 10th, 2005, 07:35 PM
I don't know if there is a perfect method or prescription for cleaning and dressing an engine bay, just what works for you. Personally, I really like super degreaser if the engine is very dirty. If the engine is somewhat well maintained, APC is a great cleaner, especially if you use the foaming sprayer. To dress the plastic I like either #40 or Natural Shine. Hyper Dressing can be used as well, but I haven't had the chance to use any yet. #40 and Natural Shine both provide a great look and hold up rather well under the hood. If you are going to import something from the US you may want to try APC and #40 or Hyper Dressing since they have multiple uses making them cost effective.

Superior Shine
Nov 10th, 2005, 07:45 PM
Here is super degreaser follwed with #40.

BEFORE -
http://archive.meguiarsonline.com/gallery/data/500/184e1.jpg

http://archive.meguiarsonline.com/gallery/data/500/184e2.jpg

AFTER -
http://archive.meguiarsonline.com/gallery/data/500/184e3.jpg

http://archive.meguiarsonline.com/gallery/data/500/184e4.jpg

kpagel
Nov 10th, 2005, 08:24 PM
Originally posted by Superior Shine
Here is super degreaser follwed with #40.

BEFORE -
http://archive.meguiarsonline.com/gallery/data/500/184e1.jpg

http://archive.meguiarsonline.com/gallery/data/500/184e2.jpg

AFTER -
http://archive.meguiarsonline.com/gallery/data/500/184e3.jpg

http://archive.meguiarsonline.com/gallery/data/500/184e4.jpg
Looks awesome! How does #40 do with dust? I tried Hyper Dressing diluted about 3:1 and it attracts dust more than I'd prefer.

travisdecpn
Nov 10th, 2005, 09:34 PM
Natural Shine and #40 are pretty good about minimizing the amount of dust that usually builds up on the surface. The real key is that when applying any dressing, be sure to remove any excess liquid with a microfiber towel. Dust won't stick if there isn't anything to stick to.

Hannibal
Nov 21st, 2005, 03:16 AM
I wonder what that engine bay will look like in a week? A month? I tried CD2 engine detailer and it looks like the day I use it even after a month or two~! It dries to a satin or semigloss finish. It repels dust very well, so I use it in the wheel wells.

MattN03
Nov 21st, 2005, 04:28 AM
Originally posted by Hannibal
I wonder what that engine bay will look like in a week? A month? I tried CD2 engine detailer and it looks like the day I use it even after a month or two~! It dries to a satin or semigloss finish. It repels dust very well, so I use it in the wheel wells.

What is CD2 and where can it be found?

gb387
Nov 21st, 2005, 12:21 PM
Originally posted by MattN03
What is CD2 and where can it be found?

Last can I bought was at Advance Auto. Might try calling around first it was a little hard to find.

Shiny Lil Detlr
Nov 21st, 2005, 01:10 PM
I've used a product from S100 that worked quite well, called "Engine Brightener" -- it was in an aerosol can that I got from the local Harley dealer. A bit expensive, but its great stuff.

Another alternative if you can still find it is Engine Kote; I just got a gallon of that in, too.

MattN03
Nov 21st, 2005, 02:14 PM
Originally posted by gb387
Last can I bought was at Advance Auto. Might try calling around first it was a little hard to find.

So is it a product similiar to #40 or Hyperdressing?

gb387
Nov 21st, 2005, 02:23 PM
So is it a product similiar to #40 or Hyperdressing?

Well... no not really. You spray it on and let it set the can says it cleans and shines and protects in one step. I would clean the engine prior to the products use.

The solvents evaporate and you end up with a coating. The can says "let it sit for 20 to allow product to penetrate and solvents evaporate."

I used it once, I really like the finish left behind by the product looks great but.... here is what I think.... I didn't like the application method(spray on). I would rather wipe on where I want it. Also, the solvents worry me a little being sprayed on everything under the hood just don't want to damage anything.

That is just my .02. :xyxthumbs

MattN03
Nov 21st, 2005, 02:33 PM
Originally posted by gb387
Well... no not really. You spray it on and let it set the can says it cleans and shines and protects in one step. I would clean the engine prior to the products use.

The solvents evaporate and you end up with a coating. The can says "let it sit for 20 to allow product to penetrate and solvents evaporate."

I used it once, I really like the finish left behind by the product looks great but.... here is what I think.... I didn't like the application method(spray on). I would rather wipe on where I want it. Also, the solvents worry me a little being sprayed on everything under the hood just don't want to damage anything.

That is just my .02. :xyxthumbs

I'd rather have more control over application myself, so I'll probably give Hyperdressing a shot. I've got plenty of #40 already, but I thought it was really for interior use only.

gb387
Nov 21st, 2005, 03:18 PM
I'd rather have more control over application myself, so I'll probably give Hyperdressing a shot. I've got plenty of #40 already, but I thought it was really for interior use only.

I have yet to use HD but everything said about it is good! Worth a shot!

Hannibal
Nov 21st, 2005, 07:34 PM
CD2 is NOT a cleaner (although it does make it look "cleaner"). It recommends you clean your engine with your choice of degreaser. I use simple green 1:2 and soak for 10 minutes, then rinse. Let dry (warm up engine to speed up drying). Then you spray the CD2 over engine, fender wells, hoses, etc. let sit 20 minutes with hood up. THEN you start engine and let warm up to operating temp. This dries the product and sort of bakes it on. Do not worry if the term "bakes on" bothers you, this stuff still comes off with a mild solution of simple green or APC very easily.

When it warms up it spreds evenly and looks like it was hand wiped!! I buy it at autozone for $5.99 a can. Its great stuff and not too well known. It works wonders inside your fender wells too, giving that detailed look for weeks because it repels dirt, etc.

I love the anti-static properties of this stuff. I think thats what makes it look good for weeks and weeks. my engine still looks very nice after 2 months. My girlfreind was impressed too after I used it on her 140,00 mile subaru. She was like wow!! It looks new!!:bow :xyxthumbs

thetwins2003
May 4th, 2006, 03:10 AM
I have used the CD2 Engine detailer spray also used it on my wheel wells as well, cleaned my engine with a little simple green and water and it turned out great seems to hold up well too. Finding it was difficult though here in Michigan I went to just about every major auto chain around, Murrays, Autozone etc and no one had it they had the CD2 engine cleaner but not the CD2 engine detailer. I ended up buying it online a midway auto supply for about 5 bucks a can was well worth it started out with two cans to see how I would like it needless to say I have a case on the way.

jmitch8011
May 15th, 2006, 09:50 PM
sounds like some really good stuff. I used simple green before and really liked it. Then I found this stuff called purple power that works great. YOu just have to make sure the engine is cool before you use it. I want to try some of these engin bay products.

promitch
May 15th, 2006, 10:42 PM
When i first got my car i gradually got the engine to where it is at the momment (needs a touch up soon....weekend approaching). I used a steam cleaner and degreaser and then meguiars metal polish.

TallPaul1
Nov 29th, 2009, 07:38 AM
I'm doing my wife's car right now. I am going with simple green and finish with CD2. I was reading on this forum that a lot of people like CD2. Picked up a can for $4.99. I am trying on my wife's 2005 car before I do my2008 TrailBlazer.:D

Wife's car Before.
http://i34.photobucket.com/albums/d112/TallPaul8/Car%20Detailing/HPIM5077.jpg
http://i34.photobucket.com/albums/d112/TallPaul8/Car%20Detailing/HPIM5082.jpg
Washed with simple green, let soaked, rinsed off.
http://i34.photobucket.com/albums/d112/TallPaul8/Car%20Detailing/HPIM5084.jpg

.I liked the way the engine came out. Look close and you can see grime came off around Valve cover....

Need pics. after dressing...

ziggo99
Nov 29th, 2009, 10:53 AM
Um, this thread is over 3 years old. I think the OP has cleaned his engine by now.

TallPaul1
Nov 29th, 2009, 11:57 AM
Sorry ziggo, I am new here and wanted to post some pictures. Well it came out so nice I am got to use the CD-2 on my TrailBlazer. ...LOL
Ziggo, is that a rule that I can't add to an old Post?

cnfowler
Nov 29th, 2009, 03:27 PM
...Ziggo, is that a rule that I can't add to an old Post?

No, but in your case since you weren't commenting or replying to the OP's post, it is best to start a new thread.

Colin

TallPaul1
Nov 30th, 2009, 07:30 PM
Okay, My Bad....

ravneetg
Sep 28th, 2010, 05:41 PM
What do you use on the hoses? I used a degreaser in the engine bay and now my hoses are stained white...

KIA HYBRID
May 24th, 2014, 09:00 PM
maybe old to many but new to some like me

Top Gear
May 25th, 2014, 08:26 AM
An old thread, but these things haven't changed :)

I've learned over many cars and motorcycles there's a big difference between cleaning a gunky, trashed, leaky engine and maintaining a clean one in perfect working order. I like Gunk Engine Brite or Purple Power or Armor All Wheel Cleaner or Tire Foam for various levels of deep "emulsifying" cleaning, but not Simple Green or some others because they are too chemically harsh and can stain and ruin bits you do not expect. Use a pressure washer as well for the worst of it. After that, you're into detailing and maintaining rather than deep cleaning.

In the case of my daily driver Coupe, bought new, I just don't let it get dirty in the first place, but it also has a full-size underside cover, which helps a LOT. I'll rinse the engine bay, say every other wash, and even wash it all with the same sudsy shampoo and mitt, using the leaf blower to dry and prevent spotting (all with an overnight cold engine). I use Ultimate Black and Ultimate Protectant to treat and boost all the plastic and rubber. Over two years on, it still looks brand new.

However, if you don't have an underside cover, or if you have an oil leak or something, you're almost wasting your time trying to keep an engine looking (or smelling) nice. If you still need deep cleaning on a regular basis, consider the obvious. First fix the leak or whatever is needed to stop the cause of the gunge. I once had a car with a huge power steering leak, and there was just no hope of cleaning all that junk off the entire underside until that hose was fixed. If you do not have a cover underneath, don't drive on a dirt road for example, or in heavy rain, etc.

Jarhead0754
May 25th, 2014, 06:30 PM
An old thread but I like the to throw in that the Daytona speed master brush would bva good engine cleaning brush. Also autoality had an engine cleaning brush that is long and help get into those deep dirty places with ease. Looking fwd to getting one to help out.