• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What to cover

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What to cover

this is my friends engine and i was going to help him clean it, but first i wanted to know waht u guys would cover up

its a Trans Am
    Attached Files

another pic

Comment

For hosing down, basically you would need to cover up the alternator and the air intake/filter (if it's exposed). I've washed my previous car's engine bay all the time and just covered up those two components. I just used sealed triple plastic bags. Also be sure the battery terminals are closed/capped.

Comment

to be honest, I have never covered anything up. I just try to be careful when spraying, thats all. Of course letting things dry out real good helps too. Man that engine does need a cleaning...Be sure to post an after shot
        http://img73.imageshack.us/img73/546...mallgz2.th.jpg

Comment

I clean my engine compartments 2 time a year on 2 different cars. I never cover any thing. I just make sure I use oonly enough water to get things wet and then to rince. I also keep the hose moving at all times so I don't focus to much water in on area. I after the engine is wasted I start the car and let it run for a few minutes to let the heat of the engine dry itself. I have been told that the newer engines today are sealed very well to keep the water out of the delicate parts.
          2000 Grand Prix GTP
          2007 Toyota 4Runner

Comment

An improperly sealed engine will take in water; otherwise, most of the late model ones out there are fairly well sealed. So many now have covers that you clean instead of actual engine blocks, heads, intakes, and other parts. Still, it is good advice to not spray directly into air intakes or other areas that look open. Check for loose or open parts before wetting the engine compartment.

I will advise on a couple things about alternators. These units are not sealed and will take in water. By itself, this is not a problem on units in good condition. While modern alternators have sealed bearings, water and degreaser can get past some weaker seals and degrease the bearings. This leads to premature failure. What I suggest is to not spray any cleaner or direct high pressure water into these units. One certainly can get by without covering them if you are certain of their condition.

The DieHard battery in the picture you show is not a true sealed unit, so make sure those caps are pressed on correctly before getting water or, worse, cleaner inside the case.
            See the big picture, enjoy the details

Comment

Working...
            X
            gtag('config', 'UA-161993-8');