• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Questions on durability of NXT?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Aurora40
    I might suggest you get some #16 to use as it also beads like crazy, the water moves off the paint, and it resists crud stickage very well. I've found it to bead on for 3 months easy...
    I used #16 years ago and did not like it, I thought #26 was alot easier to use and for the small increase in durability I got from 16 the extra work was not worth it. Never tried Blackfire but it seemed to be a passing fad.

P.S. I tried 2 coats of NXT even adding a third a week later but this stuff just does not last long at all for me.

Comment

Originally posted by agentf1
      I used #16 years ago and did not like it, I thought #26 was alot easier to use and for the small increase in durability I got from 16 the extra work was not worth it. Never tried Blackfire but it seemed to be a passing fad.

P.S. I tried 2 coats of NXT even adding a third a week later but this stuff just does not last long at all for me.
      Actually #16 isn't really any harder than #26 if you apply it following two simple rules. First #16 has to be applied thinly, it is a very hard wax and if you apply too much you are just asking for a workout. Second don't apply it to the entire car and then go back and remove, apply it to one or two panels and then remove and repeat until the car is done.

Gotta be some kind of issue going on that we are all missing because your experience with NXT is definitely not the norm. I managed to get 3 months out of it and that included 2 snows with the normal road sand/salt that goes with, lots of rain and a 2 hour daily commute.
      Last edited by rjstaaf; May 11, 2004, 12:58 PM.
      Bob
      2001 Laser Red Mustang GT Coupe
      Click Here for pics of my Mustang

Comment

Originally posted by rjstaaf

Gotta be some kind of issue going on that we are all missing because your experience with NXT is definitely not the norm. I managed to get 3 months out of it and that included 2 snows with the normal road sand/salt that goes with, lots of rain and a 2 hour daily commute.
        As I said it has been a while since I tried 16 so I don't remember the specifics but do remember thinking how much easier 26 was. Easy on, easy off and no streaking. As far as getting 3 months out of NXT I find that HARD to believe. What did you use before NXT and how long did that last? Until I found Zaino I have never seen anything last much more than 6 weeks, maybe I am just pickier about the finish on my vehicles or live in a harsher area but 3 weeks was streching it for me. Probably atleast 1/4 the length of time that I get out of Zaino, maybe even less but I rarely go 3 months even if it doesn't need it. I have seen customers/friends cars that I have detailed that still seem to have some protection even after 6 months. I usually detail my vehicles often but would rather do it because I want to, not NEED to.

Comment

I usually detail my vehicles often but would rather do it because I want to, not NEED to.
          How about a picture of your car?

Here's a picture of a Corvette that a member from CorvetteForum brought down to Meguiar's last night for some tips on detailing before this weekends Plastic Fantastic Car show in San Diego

We compounded his finish using some Meguiar's #84 Compound Power Cleaner using a rotary buffer and Meguiar’s W-7006 foam cutting pad and then followed that with some Meguiar's #80 Speed Glaze. The finish has thousands of deep scratches that only professional products like Meguiar’s 80's series will safely and effectively remove.

Next we polished using #83 Dual Action Cleaner Polish using a PC and then applied one coat of Tech wax.

Here's the owner removing Meguiar’s NXT Generation Tech Wax using the *NEW* Meguiar's microfiber Ultimate Bonnet for a eye-dazzling, deep, dark, wet-looking shine!

Here are the results...

The owner use to use Zaino by the way.

Mike
          Mike Phillips
          760-515-0444
          showcargarage@gmail.com

"Find something you like and use it often"

Comment

ttt means "to the top". I was hoping to get an answer to my question.

What type of Quick Detailers are compatible with it? I have tried Pinnacle Crystal Mist, Z6 and Meguiar’s (prof line, I think its final finish, tan bottle) over it in small areas with no ill results but wonder what you recommend?

Thanks Again.
            Hi agentf1,

Any Meguiar’s quick detailer will be compatible with NXT Tech Wax. As far as other quick detailers go, we cannot confirm their compatibility with our products because we did not manufacture them. A good quick detailer lubricates the surface well to enable you to remove light dust, finger smudges and contaminants without scratching the surface. A good rule of thumb is to wait until a wax has fully set-up before introducing water to the surface. If you have a preference for another companies quick detailer, then you're on your own.

P.S. While I was a little disappointed with NXT, I LOVE the new soap sheets and the microfibers. I also recently picked up an 8006 pad and like it better than LC pads as well. I would also love to hear your comments on my longevity problems and on what QD to use.
            I answered the QD question above, as for the longevity question?

Tech Wax is currently Meguiar’s best protecting, longest lasting wax. How long a coating of wax lasts depends on many things:
            * How well the surface was prepared to accept the wax
            * Local environment (normal conditions and extraordinary events)
            * Condition of paint
            * Number of hours exposed to outside conditions
            * Quality of the wax used and method of application
            * Quality of car wash used (dish soaps will remove wax)

A quick way to tell if there is still wax on the surface is to perform this simple test. After washing and drying your car, take a clean towel and twist it in a circle on your car’s finish. If wax is present, the towel will not make a squeaky noise. If wax is no longer present and it is time to apply another coat.

As far as the difference between durability and protection goes,

Durability as it relates to a car wax is determined by how long a product remains on the surface.

Protection as it relates to a car wax is hard to measure. Currently there are no ASTM standards for testing and measuring the protective ability of a car wax. Meguiar’s understands that because there are so many variables surrounding the application of a layer of wax, and the environment unto which the car will be subjected, there is no way to guarantee how long a wax will last or how will it will protect.

Mike
            Mike Phillips
            760-515-0444
            showcargarage@gmail.com

Comment

As I said it has been a while since I tried 16 so I don't remember the specifics but do remember thinking how much easier 26 was. Easy on, easy off and no streaking.
              Typically #16 is only difficult if you put too much on. As with most products if you are getting streaking again, you put too much on.

As far as getting 3 months out of NXT I find that HARD to believe. What did you use before NXT and how long did that last? Until I found Zaino I have never seen anything last much more than 6 weeks, maybe I am just pickier about the finish on my vehicles or live in a harsher area but 3 weeks was streching it for me. Probably atleast 1/4 the length of time that I get out of Zaino, maybe even less but I rarely go 3 months even if it doesn't need it. I have seen customers/friends cars that I have detailed that still seem to have some protection even after 6 months. I usually detail my vehicles often but would rather do it because I want to, not NEED to.
              Hmmm I thought you were here with the intent to learn about NXT? Maybe I am wrong but, from your statements it seems like you already have your mind made up and are just here to troll.

You might try doing a search and reading about other's experiences with NXT and you will find that you are in the small minority.

I seriously doubt that there are many people out there more picky about their vehicles than I. I spend about as much time cleaning and polishing the undercarriage of my car as I do the topside. I also usually wax at least once a month whether it needs it or not and it usually doesn't. When I try a new product I like to test it for durability and protection which is why I let NXT go for so long. Yes it did last for 3 months through 2 snow storms with the acommpanying sand and salt on the roads as well as rain and a 2 hour daily commute.

NXT Tech Wax

Before NXT my combo of choice was #7 topped with #26. This combo easily lasts in the 2 month range for me.

#7 topped with #26

I will agree that Zaino is very durable. I would be curious though to know how you figure there is protection after 6 months with Zaino. I have Zaino and have used it for some time (including the new formulas) and that to me is stretching it. If you are using beading as an indicator, keep in mind that most car wash products including Zaino car wash have chemicals in them that promote beading so how do you know it is Zaino and not the beading additives in the car wash?
              Last edited by rjstaaf; May 12, 2004, 08:03 AM.
              Bob

Comment

First, here are a few pics of my cars. I hope they are not too big etc...

Hmmm I thought you were here with the intent to learn about NXT? Maybe I am wrong but, from your statements it seems like you already have your mind made up and are just here to troll.
                You are correct about my original intent. I did apologize for tooting the zaino horn on Meguiars forum but cannot deny that is what I am using and need to mention it to do a valid comparison/evaluation. Unfortunitely my mind does seem to be made up but I have to say after hearing all the hype I really really wanted NXT to be better but it proved not to be in my opinion.
                You might try doing a search and reading about other's experiences with NXT and you will find that you are in the small minority. I seriously doubt that there are many people out there more picky about their vehicles than I. I spend about as much time cleaning and polishing the undercarriage of my car as I do the topside. I also usually wax at least once a month whether it needs it or not and it usually doesn't. When I try a new product I like to test it for durability and protection which is why I let NXT go for so long. Yes it did last for 3 months through 2 snow storms with the acommpanying sand and salt on the roads as well as rain and a 2 hour daily commute.
                This still blows me away, but have to say there ALOT of people in this world that are alot less anal than me, ask my wife...
                P.S. I too polish the undercarriage of my cars, get a kwiklift, it is great for those type of things. And, I also live in the snowbelt and can guarantee you are not getting 3 months out of NXT. HAS NXT EVEN BEEN OUT THAT LONG TO SAY HOW IT LAST THROUGH THE WINTER???
                I will agree that Zaino is very durable. I would be curious though to know how you figure there is protection after 6 months with Zaino. I have Zaino and have used it for some time (including the new formulas) and that to me is stretching it. If you are using beading as an indicator, keep in mind that most car wash products including Zaino car wash have chemicals in them that promote beading so how do you know it is Zaino and not the beading additives in the car wash? [/B]
                All I had to do was wash, maybe a quick Z6 and re Zaino and they are as good as new.
                In Conclusion, I think everybody knows my feelings on NXT and I don't feel right talking down NXT on Meguiars forum so I will end it here. I will say that Meguiars does have alot of awesome products that they should be proud of, I am just not sure NXT is one of them.

Comment

I also live in the snowbelt and can guarentee you are not getting 3 months out of NXT. HAS NXT EVEN BEEN OUT THAT LONG TO SAY HOW IT LAST THROUGH THE WINTER???
                  Simple, NXT was available to users of Autopia in early January and I bought it then. I applied it to my Mustang January 14, 2004. We got 2 snow storms in February. I don't have any reason to lie here and you don't know me well enough to accuse me of it so BACK OFF

You still haven't said how you are determining there is still protection left after 6 months. Sure Z6 and more Zaino is gonna make it look beter, that doesn't mean there was anything left after 6 months other than clean paint.

So your position is that because most people are getting good results with NXT they must not be as picky as you?

You win, I give up there is just no arguing with logic like that.
                  Last edited by rjstaaf; May 12, 2004, 08:40 AM.
                  Bob

Comment

Simple, NXT was available to users of Autopia in early January and I bought it then. I applied it to my Mustang January 14, 2004. We got 2 snow storms in February. I don't have any reason to lie here and you don't know me well enough to accuse me of it so BACK OFF
                    Sorry, didn't know it was available that early, I just started hearing about it recently. Not calling you a liar.
                    You still haven't said how you are determining there is still protection left after 6 months. Sure Z6 and more Zaino is gonna make it look beter, that doesn't mean there was anything left after 6 months other than clean paint.
                    If the car still looks GREAT after 6 months and cleans up and re Zaino's easy without having to restore the finish with any type of cleaners/abrasives I say the product DID ITS JOB. If I see stuff is sticking to the surface and requires additional attention and the looks are degrading within 2 to 3 weeks I think the product FAILED MISERABLY.

So your position is that because most people are getting good results with NXT they must not be as picky as you?
                    Exactly, I hear people say all the time that their car is perfect (especially when they are selling it) or looks awesome and when I see it, it is the farthest thing from perfect or awesome. I find that most of the general population are like this. Everybody has different standards. I know I said I wanted to end it here but since I still have NXT on most of my car and Zaino on part I will shoot a picture in a week or 2 when I wash the car so you can see what I am seeing/the difference in beading etc... And, I am not the only one saying it does not last, I have seen quite a few other post indicating the same thing on other forums.

As Mike says, if you like a product (like NXT) use it often, because you will need too.

Comment

Just a few comments:

I've also had my bottle of NXT for 4 months or so.

I'm not sure I follow how using Z7, Z6, and then Z2/5 shows that the original stuff was still there... If my car was a garage queen, I could go 6 months after just polishing and prepping my paint and I'd expect to be able to apply any protectant product quite easily. It wouldn't mean the glaze I used 6 months ago must have been real durable....

The general population probably doesn't spend a lot of time on detailing boards

A lot of products have some people who like it and some who don't. I've seen folks who didn't think Zaino really lasted or gave good protection. Does that change your experience with it? So don't expect your impression of NXT to change other peoples' experience with it.

It is too bad that you haven't found NXT to work for you, but at least you gave it a try and now you know how it fairs on your particular vehicles.
                      1990 Corvette ZR-1 Bright Red with Red interior Hear it!
                      2002 Aurora 4.0 Cherry Metallic with Neutral interior Hear it!
                      1997.5 Regal GS Jasper Green Pearl with Medium Gray interior

Comment

All I had to do was wash, maybe a quick Z6 and re Zaino and they are as good as new.
                        And that's the key...

You reapply Zaino and then say "Looks Great"

Well of course it looks great, you just re-applied the product again. The level of appearance that Zaino achieves wears off just like any wax, you can restore the level it previously achieved by re-applying another coat.

This is true for any wax or paint protectant.

I have noticed this about Zaino users, because they believe in layering, they are constantly re-applying a fresh coat of Zaino. The effect this has is not so much create a thick layer, as it is to restore your car's finish to its previously achieved level of quality, or plateau.

If you perform the same process with Nu-Finish you will get the same results.

Look agentf1, the Wax War is a war you cannot win, I don’t mind you trying, but please try somewhere else. If you want to discuss Meguiar’s products and the procedures to use them, then www.MeguiarsOnline.com is the place to be, if you want to discuss Zaino, then you need to go to the Zaino discussion forum.

Mike
                        Mike Phillips
                        760-515-0444
                        showcargarage@gmail.com

Comment

Hey agentf1,

Nice car with a nice shine. Would I call its finish stellar? No, I would not. From the pictures that you have provided, the finish is quite reflective, but not deep. Let’s see some up-close pictures of the finish. One’s where we can make an honest evaluation of the finish.

I have Zaino, and honestly, dislike the plastic look it provides. Moreover, I am really curious as to how you have determined the durability of either Zaino or NXT. Using the, it still beads water, is a fallacy at best for determining durability.

Moreover, one's credibility is earned not given.

Tim
                          Tim Lingor's Product Reviews

Comment

Agentf1,

Please consider this invitation to attend a very special event taking place here at Meguiar’s on July 17th.

This will be an all day detailing clinic here at Meguiar's for members of CorvetteForums online discussion forum.

Here is the information.

Members of CorvetteForum Detail Day at Meguiar’s

If you'll get your own air line ticket down here, Meguiar's will pick up the tab for your hotel. I will personally roll out the red carpet.

The purpose will not be to change your mind, but to provide you with an opportunity to meet and greet some of your forum friends from CorvetteForum, as well as put a face to an Avatar!

I promise it will be fun, I promise it will be educational. I'll even have my complete collection of competitor’s products available for testing and comparing, plus there will be a plethora of Corvettes here to detail. You can bring your Zaino products, or use mine, I have them all, new and old.

If you like, I'll have Lynn find you a screaming deal for air line tickets, she is very good at this.

Think about it. We would love to have you hear.

Mike
                            Mike Phillips
                            760-515-0444
                            showcargarage@gmail.com

Comment

Originally posted by Mike Phillips
                              And that's the key...

You reapply Zaino and then say "Looks Great"

Well of course it looks great, you just re-applied the product again. The level of appearance that Zaino achieves wears off just like any wax, you can restore the level it previously achieved by re-applying another coat.

This is true for any wax or paint protectant.

I have noticed this about Zaino users, because they believe in layering, they are constantly re-applying a fresh coat of Zaino. The effect this has is not so much create a thick layer, as it is to restore your car's finish to its previously achieved level of quality, or plateau.

If you perform the same process with Nu-Finish you will get the same results.

Look agentf1, the Wax War is a war you cannot win, I don’t mind you trying, but please try somewhere else. If you want to discuss Meguiar’s products and the procedures to use them, then www.MeguiarsOnline.com is the place to be, if you want to discuss Zaino, then you need to go to the Zaino discussion forum.

Mike
                              Actually Mike, I said it still looks great after 6 months, more than I could say for my 3 week test of NXT. I am not trying to win the "Wax War" just merely expressing my opinion and replying to others questions/comment. As I said I was not comfortable tooting the Zaino horn on "your" forum but Zaino aside, I was still not happy with NXT and would have probably went back to #26. I am going to leave it at that. If you are happy with NXT I say keep using it. I am guessing it will soon be a dying fad just like Blackfire, WolfGang and all the others that come and go and will not withstand the test of time.

Comment

Actually Mike, I said it still looks great after 6 months, more than I could say for my 3 week test of NXT. I am not trying to win the "Wax War" just merely expressing my opinion and replying to others questions/comment. As I said I was not comfortable tooting the Zaino horn on "your" forum but Zaino aside, I was still not happy with NXT and would have probably went back to #26. I am going to leave it at that. If you are happy with NXT I say keep using it. I am guessing it will soon be a dying fad just like Blackfire, WolfGang and all the others that come and go and will not withstand the test of time.
                                It is funny, there seem to be two responses from Zaino users who try NXT. They either switch or they bash NXT as some sort of self defense mechanism. If you don't like it then simply don't use it.
                                Bob

Comment

Working...
                                X
                                gtag('config', 'UA-161993-8');