• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How-to :: Making Better Car Photos

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How-to :: Making Better Car Photos

Here are some tips I have compiled for how to make better car photos.
    • Read the manual that came with your camera. There is a lot of excellent information in there.
    • As a photographer you're not trying to take pictures, you're trying to make them. It's not a passive thing. You want to create a scene. That means car placement, background, people, weather, mood, and timing.

• Think about photography as light management. Aperture controls how big the opening is for the light to hit the sensor. Shutter speed controls how long the light is passing through the aperture. ISO is the sensor's sensitivity to light. All three interact.
    • When you shoot "wide open" (i.e. F/3.5 on the kit lens), you're letting in the most light possible, so your shutter speed will be fastest, your depth of field (amount of depth in the picture you have in focus) will be the most shallow.
    • Experiment with your camera's modes (not the pre-programmed modes), but aperture priority mode (you set the aperture, and the camera picks the "most appropriate" shutter speed based on what you meter), and shutter priority mode (you set the shutter speed and the camera picks the "most appropriate" aperture), and the manual mode (you set the aperture and the shutter).
    • Get a tripod!
    • Get off your driveway! Nothing against your driveway, but a lot of people take pictures on there driveway and they don't tend to get the most exciting backgrounds as a result. Make a little adventure out of it, go some place interesting specifically to take pictures.

• Get yourself a Circular Polarizer (if you have a D70 and the kit lens it is a 67mm thread). This filter helps control the amount of reflected light that comes off of reflective surfaces (i.e glass, painted metal, painted plastic, chrome, all the fun materials on the outsides of cars).
    • Learn to use your new Circular Polarizer. You thread it onto the end of the lens and the rotate it to change how much reflection you get off the metallic surfaces.

• Don't take pictures in the middle of the day. The harsh light does nothing good for your photos. Morning, late afternoon, evening, and night are your friends.
    • Get LOW! Don't just stand up and take pictures. Get lower and shoot a little bit "up". That way you get more sky in your pictures.

• Think about what is in the frame you're trying to photography.
      Pick your focus point carefully, so that what you want to be in focus, is actually in focus.
    • Walk around, look for interesting angles, reposition the car.
    • Be careful of the background - I have seen a couple of photoshoots done by fairly experienced photographers, where they shot car pictures in a construction site. The background looked great, except in both cases they shot a picture with a bright blue porta potty reflecting off the car door.
    • If you can, try to find something that communicates a sense of place or a sense of what it feels like for you to drive or own your car.

• Get out and shoot! A lot!
    • Post pictures when you get home. We like to see pictures and we can't see them if they stay on your hard drive.

If you have other tips to add, post them up!

There are more examples of my work on my site: MotoringPhotography.com
    David Bunting
    motoringphotography.com

Thanks for the post.... you give some good tips.
    Brandon

2007 Black Chevy Avalanche

My Albums: Avalanche
    Meguiars Online Acronyms - Meguiars Product List....

Comment

Wow Nice post! I vote for a sticky or FAQ.

What kind of camera would you reccomend. I have a plain 3.2 Mega Pixel Kodak that has lived past its usefullness. I would like to get a descent camera while not breaking the bank.

What would you reccomend as a quality, but not excessive camera?

Comment

Great write-up!

As I said before, and you just proved, the camera is only 10 percent of the equation.

Nikon and Canon are probably the best prosumer digital SLRs (DSLR) out there. Personally, I prefer Nikon. My brother prefers Canon. I tired to use his and don't like it. Mike Phillips also uses a Canon I believe.

I have a Nikon D70 (not the new D70s) like David has.

I also have a circular polarizer like David and am most thankful I did. I went to Hawai'i in late October and brought back some beautiful shots that wouldn't have looked near as nice without the polarizer.

Nikon has also just released a little brother to the D70, the D50. A good majority of the features the D70 has, but several hundred dollars less.

The nice thing about either of these cameras is that they can be fully automated (auto-focus, auto-aperature, auto-shutter, auto-flash), or fully manual. They can function just like a point-and-shoot camera -- just zoom into what you want to shoot, press the button half-way down to auto-focus, press it the rest of the way down to take a picture. Look on the back to see what you got. If you don't like it, hit the delete button.

Check out Digital Photography Review specifications, comparisons, reviews, and indepth studies, including photographic tests looking at ISO Sensitivity / Noise levels, RAW format, and image quality (sharpness, moire, color casts).

In my perusal of various photo and computer magazines, Nikon's Coolpix series usually gets fairly high reviews.

Nikon D50
        Nikon D70
        Nikon D70s

Comment

WOW!!!!! Those are amazing pics!

This is the best pic I have of my car....

No prizes for guessing that I din't take it

Alex
          Mandarina Racing

Comment

Originally posted by SiriusRIMZ
            Wow Nice post! I vote for a sticky
            http://img73.imageshack.us/img73/546...mallgz2.th.jpg

Comment

Great stuff David!
              Cheers!
              "Detailing is as much an art as it is a science"
              www.autodetailer.co

Comment

This is awesome! I'm assuming the same ideas would apply to a 35MM SLR? I don't yet have a DSLR, so I'm stuck with an old Canon AE-1 Program with a Tamron 28-200LD lens for "good pictures"

Comment

Dave is really something else. While I'm definitely not of the caliber Dave is, I'm proud of these shots, which were done with a little Nikon point and shoot. Coolpix 880 (3.3MP) and Coolpix 4300 (4MP).

This same camera (4300) was good enough to make the cover of the Premiere issue of MC2, a new MINI magazine being published here in the USA.

Inside of my Whalen shift knob
                  (Coolpix 880)

I own a D70s DSLR now and love it, but the Coolpix camera were really great for inexpensive wide angle shots and macro photography.
                  Richard Lin
                  ShowCarDetailing
                  5548 E. La Palma Ave
                  Anaheim, CA 92807
                  toll free: 866 707 9292

Comment

For those looking for a digital camera, here is a great site to look over, tons of info and review. IMO better than Consumer Reports, the stick to review Electronics/computers and so on....

Get full-length product reviews, the latest news, tech coverage, daily deals, and category deep dives from CNET experts worldwide.
                    Brandon

2007 Black Chevy Avalanche

My Albums: Avalanche
                    Meguiars Online Acronyms - Meguiars Product List....

Comment

Originally posted by SiriusRIMZ
                      I would like to get a descent camera while not breaking the bank.

I personally would stick with either Nikon or Canon. If you have the money to get a Nikon D50 or D70s or a Canon dRebel, I would recommend getting your hands on all three and trying them out.

If you don't have that kind of budget, I would recommend looking for a solid 4 to 5 MP Point and Shoot (P&S) from either Nikon or Canon. If you're looking at a P&S, look for one that has an aperture priority mode, shutter priority mode, and a manual mode. While you may not use those right off the bat, or every day, it will be nice to have those features so you can have more control over your photos if you get really passionate about it and want that kind of control.

Don't get too obsessed with how many megapixels the camera has, look for things like how much optical zoom the camera has, how it feels in your hand (is the camera tiny/do you have big hands?), and how easy the controls are to operate.

As magnus said above, check out dpreview to read some of the most complete reviews you'll ever see. Let that be your starting point though and get yourself to a camera store (Best Buy doesn't count) and have one of the sales people help show you the cameras and how they work.

Originally posted by magnus
                      Great write-up!

As I said before, and you just proved, the camera is only 10 percent of the equation.
                      Thanks. That's so true.

(Just to be clear, this next part is just a general comment, not direct at you, but it does apply to the camera not being the most important part of the equation.)

I know at least one person that had a $3000 camera setup (D-SLR with a 70-200) that would simply motor drive his camera at 5 frames per second and hope he got something good by doing that. He had an excellent camera after all. It takes real thought and planning to be at the right place at the right time. You don't always know what you'll wind up with, but having a plan for what you want to shoot is a huge step towards getting better photos. Not just banging away at the shutter button.

Originally posted by Shiny Lil Detlr
                      I'm assuming the same ideas would apply to a 35MM SLR?
                      Yup, same principles apply.

Originally posted by OctaneGuy
                      I own a D70s DSLR now and love it, but the Coolpix camera were really great for inexpensive wide angle shots and macro photography.
                      That is one nice thing about P&S cameras is they generally can do some great macro work. The nikon 4300 for instance could focus at 1/2" away from the lens.
                      David Bunting
                      motoringphotography.com

Comment

Originally posted by gb387
                        For those looking for a digital camera, here is a great site to look over, tons of info and review. IMO better than Consumer Reports, the stick to review Electronics/computers and so on....

http://reviews.cnet.com/Digital_came...tag=cnetfd.dir
                        Another one I always use is dpreview.com -- they're aimed more toward professional photographers, though.

Comment

Couple more tips from my shooting.

Use a fill flash whenever possible as it usually enhances the photo.

Try to shoot in various lighting conditions. Early morning and late evening yield a lot of warmth and shadow detail. Shooting around noon in direct sunlight usually doesn't make for good pictures. Noon shots in bright overcast light is often very good for even illumination. A lot depends on what you are trying to bring out in the shot.

Consider the setting. What is in the background. Should you make the background out of focus to emphasize the car? What about the color of the background. Does it add to the contrast of the image? If you are shooting on asphalt can you water it down with a hose? This adds reflections that often look nice. Be creative.

If you can stitch digital photos together you might want to take a couple shots with the camera low and aligned with the axles. When you stitch the photo back together you get more of the car visible than you would with a single shot.

Try shooting from many angles and elevations. Consider shots of parts of a car like just a fender and headlight. Be creative.

With digital, there is no reason not to take a lot of shots. You can compare them and weed out the ones you don't like. Some shots will be sharper than others. Some will have better reflections.

Use a polarizer if you want deeper colors and don't use it if you want to highlight reflections.

Shooting lots of pictures of your car is fun. Don't just take a couple shots. Plan on devoting several hours to a "photo shoot" of your car. Move the car around and take some more. Plan ahead on where you will want to shoot and if you can find a helper do so.

Remember that the subject is your car. You want the car to be the star not the background.
                          Jim
                          My Gallery

Comment

Working...
                          X
                          gtag('config', 'UA-161993-8');