• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How to proceed with really, really soft paint...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How to proceed with really, really soft paint...

The battered old Merc I'm working on at the moment seems to have paint no harder than cream cheese, which poses a slight problem - I can't touch it with a towel without marring the finish.

Where does one go from here? I've got all the swirls and marks out with a combination of #83/W8006 on PC and rotary, and have finished it down with #82/W9006/PC, but I can't remove all the #82 without instilling some towel marks. I've tried everything - brand new MF's (including Supreme Shine MF's), brand new terry towels and just about anything else I can think of. I've even tried the above with so little pressure it takes about 10 minutes to wipe off one panel, turning the cloth after every pass and the marks still go into the paint!

I've tried applying #80 by hand and removing that is better, but still not perfect. Is there anywhere I can go from here or am I just going to have to accept that I won't be able to get all the marks out?

I strive for perfection in everything I do and this is really starting to wind me up now!

Ben

I think #82 is about the mildest cleaner in the pro line. Maybe you can try applying it by hand. Or even DC#1 by hand.

Would you be able to try spraying a little QD on your cloths when removing the cleaner, maybe that will help.

Or, just move on and try polishing/waxing a panel, and see what happens. Applying a wax like #20, with some cleaners in it, may help remove/add swirls all over again.
    2017 Subaru WRX Premium - WR Blue

Comment

Sounds like you're having #82 issues, which some people do. You might try #9, removing it while it's still wet with minimal pressure. Not letting the polish dry on the paint should allow you to touch it so lightly that it won't mar. And yeah, I think I'd maybe try this by hand. I can't imagine paint that's too soft for #9/soft MF/hand, and I've worked on some mighty soft black lacquers.

Oh, and plenty of paints are too soft for terry, but some of the better MFs are safe for anything I've tried them on. Apply with foam or MF, buff off with MF.

I'd sure use an easy-off LSP so you don't undo all this effort!

I'd wonder how you're gonna wash it if the paint's so soft. Better get a foamgun
      Practical Perfectionist

Comment

You need to get some wax on the finish to increase slip...

Do you have a Meguiar's cleaner/wax? Like ColorX, M66, M06 or even #20?

If so, apply one of these using the dual action polisher and then let it dry completely. Next remove the wax with a bonnet on a clean dry pad. If you don't have a microfiber bonnet then carefully remove the wax with your plushest microfiber folded to provide plenty of cushion.
        Mike Phillips
        760-515-0444
        showcargarage@gmail.com

"Find something you like and use it often"

Comment

Thanks for the replies so far guys.

Mike - I do have #66 so will give that a go tomorrow when I resume battle!

Ben

Comment

Working...
          X
          gtag('config', 'UA-161993-8');