• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

I'm lost. I need some direction.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I'm lost. I need some direction.

OK I have decided to go with Mcguires over Zaino because its cheaper but does as good of a job. Its the beginning of the year soon and I want to detail my truck. I plan to spend a whole day maybe 2 on the truck. Mcguires has so many products I dont know where to start. I already have the Mcguires NXT but I believe that is only a wax. I want to clean, polish, and wax the paint. Do I need need to buy the deep crystal 3 step system or do I need to bypass that and go the professional route. If thats the case what numbers do I need? I definitley have some swirls and scratches I need to get rid of. I keep hearing about Mcguirs # 26 so i guess I need that. But I also read somthing about DC1 and DC2. And where does the NXT fit in and compare to the other numbers. What about Mcguires scratchX? Do I need that also or is that overkill. What combination of products do I need to do my truck right. SOMEONE PLEASE HELP MY CONFUSION AND GIVE ME SOME DIRECTION.

Thanks

Well, at least you have time then to ask all the questions you need before spring. The best thing about Meguiars is all the options.. and the worst thing for new folks is all the options.

I'll start off with some basics, assuming you are working by hand for now. And we can build from there.

Also, you results of course depend on using good equipment, like good sponges, towels, applicators, etc.

Meguiars teaches a 5-step paint care cycle:

1. Wash
    2. Clay as needed
    3. Clean
    4. Polish
    5. Wax

With these 5 steps, you will want to have a product that covers each step, (or some products can cover multiple steps, but that is a future story).

For instance:

1. Wash - Use a high quality wash like Gold Class or Nxt Wash. Be sure to use the 2-bucket system, with at least 1 Grit-Guard.

2. Clay - Meguiars Quick Clay system is the best.

3. Clean - For mild cleaning, you ucould use DC#1. However, this wont remove swirls. To remove swirls, you will probably want to use ScratchX. It can take a little while for a whole car, but you can break it down over a couple days, section by section.

4. Polish - DC#2 is a very easy to use polish, with great results.

5. Wax - Meguiars teaches that 2 thin coats of wax is best for even coverage/looks. 2 thin coats of your Nxt wax will be great.

There are of course lots more options, so let us know you thoughts/questions
    2017 Subaru WRX Premium - WR Blue

Comment

about #26...

Nxt is a polymer wax, and #26 is a carnuba blend wax. Nxt is the longest lasting wax Meguiars offers, but #26 may have a little better looks, esp. on dark colors.

Comment

The DC#1 and DC#2 are great starter products.

I used both when I first started to use Meguiar's. Both are easy on and off, and since your willing to devote time, your will turn out great. I still use DC#2 polish, as I still prefer its usability and it seems to leave a great deep shine on my Gold Jeep.

Listen to Murr, he's dead on about scratch-X. Its an amazing product that takes time to work in.

Comment

OK these are the products I Have.

I have ScratchX, Deep Crystal #1, Professional # 7, Professional#26, NXT wax, and a clay bar. I have already washed my truck with Dawn. I am going to clay it next. After that what is my next step? Do I use scratchX and forget about DC step 1 or do I use them both? After the cleaning I am assuming I am to use the #7 polish, then #26 wax, then the NXT wax. Should I do 2 coats of the # 26 to give it more pop? What do you guys think? Thanks for the help and hope every buddy has a good Christmas or a Happy Hoildays if you prefer that. Thanks

Comment

OK, you are going to clay, good..... Well there are a couple options: If you see some swirling or fine scratches ScratchX is the next step over the entire vehicle then on to polish and wax...

If there are no swirls and scratches I would go with the DC#1, If needed you could ScratchX in spots here and there where needed then DC#1 over the entire vehicle. Then on to the polish, in this case #7 and on to wax.

As for wax... I always do 2 coats, either 2 of one wax - or - one coat of one wax and another coat of another wax. As for NXT + #26 + #26 its up to you. Try the second coat of #26, if you see a difference go for it, if not there may be no need for it.
            Brandon

2007 Black Chevy Avalanche

My Albums: Avalanche
            Meguiars Online Acronyms - Meguiars Product List....

Comment

ScratchX and DC#1 are both cleaners, so if yo udo the entire car with one, the other is not needed. If you only use scratchX in spots, I would do like gb387 mentioned, and do the whole car with DC#1, to keep things even.

Definatley use Nxt as the base coat if you are going ot layer waxes. Put the #26 on top of that.

And as for washing with Dawn, its not highly recomended. It just dries the paint, plastic and rubber out. No need to take a step backwards, so using some thing like Gold Class or Nxt will be better in the future.

Comment

Working...
              X
              gtag('config', 'UA-161993-8');