• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

leaving wax on

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• leaving wax on

I am travelling long distance this Christmas. The front of the car will be splattered with bugs. Wondering if on the front I left wax on for the week of country travelling to help protect paint. Is there a reason not to do that??

You dont want to leave the wax on hazed for days. Meguiars waxes dont usualy stain easily if left on too long, but I wouldnt want to risk it, esp not that long.

If you put on a fresh coat, and wipe it off, you should have a nice slick surface left behind. The biggest thing is to wash them off as soon as possible. Perhaps you can take some wash solution and towles with you.
    2017 Subaru WRX Premium - WR Blue

Comment

I second Murr's advice... don't do it. As Mike has pointed out many times on this forum, the purpose of wax is to act as a sacrificial barrier for the paint. While wax won't protect against potential rock chips and things of that nature, if prepped and applied correctly, it should create a surface that makes it easier for bugs to be removed. Just carry towels and a quick detailer on the road with you to help keep it clean, and wipe off the bugs as soon as you can.

Comment

Oh come on, guys, it won't hurt anything to leave unbuffed wax on there. Did your paint ever get ruined when you missed a spot when you were bufffing? Or when you got some lodged around an emblem or in a crack? It may be a little tough to get off after a while, but some solvent or DC1 should take it right off.

Glowes3, if you can live with the appearance, I would do it. Just make sure you wash it thoroughly before you attempt to buff off the residue.

Comment

Working...
        X
        gtag('config', 'UA-161993-8');