• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

New Paint Job. What to use to establish/maintain a showcar finish?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New Paint Job. What to use to establish/maintain a showcar finish?

Happy Holidays to all!

I got my car back from the body shop earlier this week and could use some help as to what products i need to use on my newly painted vehicle. My cars finish is a dark green metallic color. This car is mostly for auto show exhibitions and occasional daily driving use. What do i need to do/use to get that optimum show car gloss and keep it that way?

Any feedback will be greatly appreciated.

Sounds like a great color, I really like dark green metallics.

While the paint is curing I use Meguiar's #5. It's safe for fresh paint, nonabrasive, and about as user-friendly as products get. If you get any marring that you want to correct you could use #80, but I'd only use an abrasive product like that if you need it. Once the paint is cured (30-90 days) then you can try any LSP you like. Which one you end up liking will depend on what you want to emphasize, the dark/deep look or the metallic "pop" look.
    Practical Perfectionist

Comment

Thanks for your reply. I am an avid fan of the Geneva Green pearl paint on my Honda Accord. It has gold toned metallic flaking and i would love to see the flaking pop out like diamonds but at the same time i also love the deep glossy look of the paint as well.

Comment

Any difference between Meguiars #5 and #7?

Comment

#5 is easier to use, #7 looks a little better. Since you have to reapply after every wash, I almost always just go with the #5. After the paint has cured, you might consider using #7 sealed under a LSP, but until then I'd just go with the #5. This is all just personal preference (#3/#5/#7/#81/Deep Crystal Step #2 are all *very* similar), but I find the #5 *that* much easier to use, and I've used #7 since the 1970s.

IMO if you want to drive it while the paint's curing, you oughta use something *very* user-friendly so you won't mind redoing it at every wash. You don't want to be tempted to a) not redo it and/or b) not wash it too often because of the pain of having to redo it.
          Practical Perfectionist

Comment

Working...
          X
          gtag('config', 'UA-161993-8');