• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

21 coming out smeary

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 21 coming out smeary

i did a corvette a couple days ago and on black the 21 looks great but it seems like theres a lot of smears all over the place. I applied the 21 via pc but i was sure not to put too much so what can i do to prevent this the next time and how can i solve this if it happens again.

thanks
    Jay

Re: 21 coming out smeary

Was the surface wet before applying M21? Was their a lot of moisture in the air? Did you shake the M21 bottle? Last time I used it--a few days ago, the first squirt was separated--so I remembered to shake the bottle on subsequent uses.

What pad did you use? The W9006 on setting of 3 is all you need. You don't need very much to cover a large area.

Did you let it dry thoroughly? Did you do the Swipe Test to ensure that it was indeed dry before buffing off??

How about posting some pix of what the smears look like?

Richard

Originally posted by jays
    i did a corvette a couple days ago and on black the 21 looks great but it seems like theres a lot of smears all over the place. I applied the 21 via pc but i was sure not to put too much so what can i do to prevent this the next time and how can i solve this if it happens again.

thanks
    Jay
    Richard Lin
    ShowCarDetailing
    5548 E. La Palma Ave
    Anaheim, CA 92807
    toll free: 866 707 9292

Comment

the surface wasnt too wet cause i had just finished using 80. I did shake the bottle. i was using a pc on speed 1 with a finishing pad. I dont have any pics cause i didnt finish till it was dark. to be hones with you i let it sit for about 10 minutes then removed but i didnt do the swipe test. But i have noticed this problem on darker colored cars and i dont know if its me or not.

Comment

Try speed 3. Speed 1 is much too slow for the finishing pad.
        As for the time to set, you gotta do the Swipe Test. 10 minutes doesn't mean much. My last detail on Friday--lasted 12 hours. By 8PM, it was misty outside. The back portion of the car took around 20 minutes to dry, the front portion took less than 10--because the back portion was exposed to the misty evening. Of course, we eventually just turned the car around, and that solved the problem.

To check if the wax is ready to be removed, using your finger, make a quick wipe with your index finger. Look at the paint below the wax you just wiped off. If the edges of the wax are sharp and defined, and there isn't any residue left on the paint--i.e. smeary...then it's ready to be buffed off.

While M21 is very easy to remove by hand, I'd suggest trying using a W7006 cutting pad as a base, and a Microfiber bonnet, and setting the PC to speed 5 to buff off the M21.

I've never had any issues with M21 looking smeary when used properly.

This is M21 applied to a Dark Green Metallic--single stage finish.

Richard

Originally posted by jays
        the surface wasnt too wet cause i had just finished using 80. I did shake the bottle. i was using a pc on speed 1 with a finishing pad. I dont have any pics cause i didnt finish till it was dark. to be hones with you i let it sit for about 10 minutes then removed but i didnt do the swipe test. But i have noticed this problem on darker colored cars and i dont know if its me or not.
        Richard Lin
        ShowCarDetailing
        5548 E. La Palma Ave
        Anaheim, CA 92807
        toll free: 866 707 9292

Comment

Hey,

Just to chime in...

I have used #21 for about a year now and have found that smearing is caused by one of the following:

1. Using too much product - You want a thin even coat. Applied with a W-9006 Finishing pad on speed 3 (as Richard mentioned above). A little bit of #21 goes a long way! Be sure shake the bottle before use!

2. Not allowing it to dry long enough - Always perform the How to tell when a Meguiar's wax is ready to remove - The Swipe Test after waiting approx. 15 minutes. Leaving a product on too long can also create streaking. Using a clean W-8006 Polishing Pad with a Gold Class Microfiber bonnet. Remove the product with the PC set to speed 5.

3. Not having Pre-cleaned the finish - Even if you just finished polishing the paint a few weeks ago, unless your paint has not been exposed to the elements (ie. covered in a garage) your paint will have contaminents albeit a small amount. Meg's #21 is a LSP that needs to have a finish in new or like new condition. Hence, I suggest pre-cleaning the surface before applying the #21. If your finish is in excellent condition, you could clean with Meg's #9 Swirl Remover or #80 Speed Glaze, then top with the #21.

Give the above a try and let us know!

Tim
          Tim Lingor's Product Reviews

Comment

Use very little 21.If you get smearing spray 34 Final inspection on area and wipe.That wiil get rid of the smearing.Try using speeds 3 or 4 on the PC.Humidity has a effect on 21 to.
            2007 Mustang GT/CS white 5sp. named Cali
            Show Car Detail

Comment

Working...
            X
            gtag('config', 'UA-161993-8');