• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Orbital buffer- good for applying wax?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Orbital buffer- good for applying wax?

I'm thinking about picking up a craftsman orbitial buffer, the one that just fits in your palm, from Walmart to use strictly for applying wax to save a little amount of time there. It has a 4000rpm rating.. Will this work for applying waxes? Also what other type of products will it help apply if any?

You an apply a wide range of products, but there's a difference between applying a product and removing a defect. Removing a defect would mean removing a little bit of paint and these tools usually just don't have the power to do this effectively.

So while you can apply a paint cleaner with one of these tools, and it will clean surface contaminants off, you probably won't be able to remove swirls and scratches, at least not effectively.

If you goal is to simply apply a polish and/or a wax then they are great for this and unlike your hand they won't get tired.

I say Go for it!
    Mike Phillips
    760-515-0444
    showcargarage@gmail.com

"Find something you like and use it often"

Comment

Give it a try. I have a Craftsman orbital. It puts on a nice thin layer of wax. Saves Time!! BUT it will not take out defects. I've tried.
      HLH

Kelly
      MOL- Welcome to the world of real detailer's

Comment

Ya I only plan on using it for applying wax. I'll just use my elbow grease for Scratch X ColorX and M09..

Comment

That's what I do. Till I get the G-100. Wife gave me green light!!

Kelly
          MOL- Welcome to the world of real detailer's

Comment

I have the money for a G-100 but I'm afraid I will damage my car from lack of experience..

Comment

Originally posted by 96greenmustang
              I have the money for a G-100 but I'm afraid I will damage my car from lack of experience..
              There should be no worry about a G100 damaging your paint.... very safe tool. There was a video on MOL recently showing an improperly used PC on a vehicles surface and it still didn't damage the paint. Can't remember who posted the link but maybe someone else does.

Its your decision, make the decision on what you feel more comfortable with. Maybe start with the Craftsman get use to it then move on to a PC.
              Brandon

2007 Black Chevy Avalanche

My Albums: Avalanche
              Meguiars Online Acronyms - Meguiars Product List....

Comment

Originally posted by gb387
                There should be no worry about a G100 damaging your paint.... very safe tool. ...
                What he said!

Since you have the money for the G-100 already anyway there’s little point in getting the other orbital. If you want to start out with a weak motion that just applies a product but can’t remove any defects you can just turn the G-100’s speed down and not put any pressure on it.

PC.

Comment

well good news boys.. I called a local dealership tonight to see if they needed someone to do some detail work through the summer. They said I'm first in line but they want to meet with me. Hopefully after doing a few cars I'll will buy the G-100 with the money I make..

Comment

Working...
                  X
                  gtag('config', 'UA-161993-8');