• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Anybody else use Dust Off??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Anybody else use Dust Off??

Hey, have any of you used "canned air" to clean out air vents and cracks? Works good for me in addition to using a Shop Vac to catch the dust.
    MOL- Welcome to the world of real detailer's

ive heard of it but i dont do it because ususally it just blows to another spot and i would think that catching it with a shop vac is too much effort
    i can now do a quick wash and dry in about 20 mins
    Patrick Yu
    2003 Honda Accord
    2008 Honda Accord EX-L V6

Comment

I use it to get to anything I can't get out w/ anything else, air vents, getting water out of the engine compartment areas that are too tough to get to shift gates, etc.

everything helps to get things clean. When I show my car at car shows i like to use the spray to remove any last min dust or lint that gets on the car where I need to quickly remove it w/o having my finger oils or anything messing it up.

don't ask
      2001 Vortex Blue New Beetle

Comment

Speaking of air vents, is there an air vent filter for A/C that should be changed out every once in awhile?
        Proud owner of the finest looking car in the parking lot.
        Switch to Linux. Use energy efficient lightbulbs and appliances. Keep your car well maintained and drive easy to save gas. Eat less fast food. Call your mother and tell her you love her. Try flying a kite. Read a wikipedia article daily. Use Meguiar's.

Comment

kellyinkc... good little tip, I always have canned air around for my computers but never thought about using it in the car.

Originally posted by LiquidBlack
          Speaking of air vents, is there an air vent filter for A/C that should be changed out every once in awhile?
          Some car have a "cabin filter" some don't and they ahould be changed, might try looking in your owners manual to see if your car has one.
          Brandon

2007 Black Chevy Avalanche

My Albums: Avalanche
          Meguiars Online Acronyms - Meguiars Product List....

Comment

im betting that your camery does its probalby around front of the steering wheel under the hood
            Patrick Yu
            2003 Honda Accord
            2008 Honda Accord EX-L V6

Comment

Cool beans. I was wondering this because my mom's old cars (which she never took care of) always had some sort of strange odor (whether sweet or mildewy) coming out of her A/C. I'll keep this in mind should my A/C start releasing such odors.
              Proud owner of the finest looking car in the parking lot.
              Switch to Linux. Use energy efficient lightbulbs and appliances. Keep your car well maintained and drive easy to save gas. Eat less fast food. Call your mother and tell her you love her. Try flying a kite. Read a wikipedia article daily. Use Meguiar's.

Comment

It was an accident. I could not get the crumbs or whatever out of the passenger side air bag slot. Q-tip did not fit. So I ran in and got the can.
                There is an cabin air filter. Need to replace it ever so often.
                Can get quite dirty.
                MOL- Welcome to the world of real detailer's

Comment

Originally posted by LiquidBlack
                  Cool beans. I was wondering this because my mom's old cars (which she never took care of) always had some sort of strange odor (whether sweet or mildewy) coming out of her A/C. I'll keep this in mind should my A/C start releasing such odors.
                  Generally the source of the odor emanating from the A/C isn't from the cabin filter, it's from condensation that's gone awry in the actual A/C system.

Changing the cabin air filters IS a good idea, though.
                  See the big picture, enjoy the details

Comment

Another great use for canned air, and the main reason I keep some with my detailing gear, is to blast out the water from around the side mirrors, and any other little areas where the water likes to be trapped while you are drying. That way I dont get the water dripping down the doors on my post detail run to Dairy Queen for a dipped cone .
                    If a man talks in a forest, and there is no woman there to hear him, .... is he still wrong?

Comment

Hey,

Yum...a dipped cone!!! Too bad I am lactose intolerant!

As for using canned air or any air compressor to blow dust out of vents, I would not do it. If you blow the dust into the vent it is going to build up with the condensation as you have a relatively closed system.

Instead, I like to use the Reusable Detailing Swabs

I dip it into some #40, and then swab the vents. I then take a dry one and re-swab the vents. It works great and it avoid blowing dust into the A/C system.

Just in MHO!

Tim
                      Tim Lingor's Product Reviews

Comment

Is there any sort of dressing made specifically for air vents that is not sticky and will not attract dust and is ordorless while providing a shine?
                        '00 Audi A4 1.8 T
                        '09 Audi A4 2.0 T Quattro
                        Attention to detail is the key to success
                        Steve

Comment

I'm not a big fan of the compressed air in a can. When I start pressing the button, pretty soon it turns into a liquid, and then it mucks things up. Created a really nice spot on my perforated leather seats (trying to clean the perf holes) --- had to do a lot of scrubbing to get rid of it.

Comment

Originally posted by miked2
                            I'm not a big fan of the compressed air in a can. When I start pressing the button, pretty soon it turns into a liquid, and then it mucks things up. Created a really nice spot on my perforated leather seats (trying to clean the perf holes) --- had to do a lot of scrubbing to get rid of it.
                            That occurs when the can is not 100% upright...try keeping it straight and that should not happen.
                            2006 VW Jetta GLI

myfast

vdubisindahaus

Comment

try swiffers the work great at getting the dust,
                              and they have the swiffer duster but i haven't tryed that out yet

Comment

Working...
                              X
                              gtag('config', 'UA-161993-8');