• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

part timers..do you have insurance??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• part timers..do you have insurance??

im thinking of trying a bit of part time detailing at peoples homes

just wondered who has insurance?? i wouldnt even know what to get but feel its only right incase something goes wrong

Currently I do not carry any insurance, but am thinking about getting it as I am starting to get more business.

I do not feel great either about the risks involved.

Tom

Comment

Beavis, the safest thing I can recommend is getting to know the customer well; that is, don't get yourself set up with someone who will try to scam you for damage/problems you're not responsible for. By screening the people you help, this eliminates some of that risk. Review the vehicle condition carefully and discuss options and risks involved in the job.

What some people will do is insure themselves as self-employed, though that has implications with income and revenue.
      See the big picture, enjoy the details

Comment

octaneguy posted a link somewhere where you can do a full report of the car

when i have time ill find it and post a link
        Patrick Yu
        2003 Honda Accord
        2008 Honda Accord EX-L V6

Comment

Liability Waivers???

lol i actually had it book marked
          Patrick Yu
          2003 Honda Accord

Comment

Hey,

Just to chime in....

We need to be very cognitive that a Liability Waiver does not always hold up in court. If it can be proven that negligence was committed, no signed waiver will help you. The court has to decide whether the person's experience was such they should be working on the car in the first place. If the person was found to be over zealous in their self evaluation of their skill level, that person could be held accountable.

So please let's be careful, and not assume that a waiver will absolve you from blame.

Tim
            Tim Lingor's Product Reviews

Comment

wow really glad you chimed in lol !
              Patrick Yu
              2003 Honda Accord

Comment

Sneek,

I just want to make sure that everyone realizes that a waiver does not absolve you from responsibility due to negligence. There are different forms of negligence. But regardless, you need to be very careful when detailing someone else's paint.

Tim
                Tim Lingor's Product Reviews

Comment

It is irresponsible for anyone to conduct business without the protection (for you as well as your customer) of insurance.

We carry $1,000,000 general liability insurance that cost us about $1800 yearly.
                  Freedom prospers when Christianity is vibrant and the rule of law under God is acknowledged

Comment

good information to know! in 1 year 1 day and 1 week (when i turn 18) i want to start my own detailing business
                    Patrick Yu
                    2003 Honda Accord

Comment

Originally posted by Superior Shine
                      It is irresponsible for anyone to conduct business without the protection (for you as well as your customer) of insurance.

We carry $1,000,000 general liability insurance that cost us about $1800 yearly.

I know this thread is a bit old, but what company is your insurance through? I'm looking for coverage like yours.
                      "Too Much Horsepower Is Almost Enough"

Comment

Originally posted by Superior Shine

Question Joe, have you ALWAYS carried insurance? I know you're all about doing things the right away and trying to improve the industry as a whole(PDTA), but at the same time didn't you start by working out of an old pickup truck with your supplies?

Remember that a lot of people have to start small and re-invest into their business as they make small profits. I believe you started out the same way, didn't you?
                        I want 4" Softbuff pads!

Comment

Originally posted by gbackus
                          Question Joe, have you ALWAYS carried insurance? I know you're all about doing things the right away and trying to improve the industry as a whole(PDTA), but at the same time didn't you start by working out of an old pickup truck with your supplies?

Remember that a lot of people have to start small and re-invest into their business as they make small profits. I believe you started out the same way, didn't you?
                          Im curious about this also... if I paid $1800/yr for insurance, or even $900/yr for half the coverage, I wouldnt make any money doing side jobs when everything is considered. They are only going to be every other weekend, and thats if I get a full schedule for the whole year.

I understand liabilities... I also understand that if Im negligent and damage someones car I am the kind of person that will take full responsibility for it whether or not I have ins.

I plan on having my own legit business someday... but for now Ill take the risk/liabilities as a motivating factor to be a better detailer.
                          ----------02' 35th Anv. Limited Edition SS----------
                          561rwhp/541rwtq, M6, T-Tops, SLP option car, 1 of 1,037.
                          --| TUNED BY FORCEFED PERFORMANCE | Mods: Boost.
                          --

Comment

Insurance doesn't provide coverage for your own negligence anyway. If you burn through someones paint with a rotary buffer, and the car needs repainting, it's on you. If you drop the buffer on the hood, or some unforeseen accident happens while the car is in your "care, custody and control", then insurance may come into play. You just can't insure against your own stupidity or incompetence in any line of work.

Mort

Comment

Working...
                            X
                            gtag('config', 'UA-161993-8');