• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What am I missing??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What am I missing??

Hi all,

My first post to the forums and my first time using Meguiars products. I've been a long time Zymol and Mothers product user.

Today I went out and picked up couple Meguiars pro line products to use in place of my previous lines. Zymol was nice but cost a fortune and Mothers seems to fade quickly. I have a 2001 Mercedes Benz E320 that I've had since this past June. I've yet to wax it and have no idea how well the paint was cared for in the past. It's in pretty good condition, but is in desparate need of a clay bar, which is where I intend to start.

My choice of pro-products is fairly limited due to lack of local availability. Here's what I've gotten my hands on so far.

1. Mother's Clay bar.
    2. Scratch X
    3. #7 Show car glaze...this is a polish, right?
    4. #26 yellow tech wax

I have a PC DA polisher that I intend to apply the liquid products with.

I still feel like I need some other type of cleaner product to use between the clay and the #7, but that's only because I'm used to using Mother's three step process.

#9 Swirl Remover is availble, but I didn't grab it because I don't have a lot of noticeable swirls...would this be a cleaner type product? Is it something I could use to clean prior to the #7 w/o cutting too much?

Suggestions? Are there any other #'s I need to grab before I start? What about Meguiar consumer line three step process products? Those seem a little more mass market to me, so I'm assuming they are not quite as good as the pro-line numbered products.

Thanks,
    Jeff

If you don't have alot of noticeable swirls, then you may wish to skip the scratch-x. Instead, go with a milder product such as Deep Crystal #1 paint cleaner (DC#1).
    Proud owner of the finest looking car in the parking lot.
    Switch to Linux. Use energy efficient lightbulbs and appliances. Keep your car well maintained and drive easy to save gas. Eat less fast food. Call your mother and tell her you love her. Try flying a kite. Read a wikipedia article daily. Use Meguiar's.

Comment

yes #7 is a polish
      Patrick Yu
      2003 Honda Accord
      2008 Honda Accord EX-L V6

Comment

I agree... with LB

The Deep Crystal Products are easy to get as it sounds like you have found them. They are very good products, they are the best products to correct defects but as LiquidBlack suggested DC#1 (Deep Crystal Paint Cleaner) is a very mild cleaner and works very well. All three Deep Crystal System products work very well but if you have #26 I would use that rather than get the DC Wax.

If needed you could use the ScratchX in spots where its needed but use DC#1 as the main cleaner.
        Brandon

2007 Black Chevy Avalanche

My Albums: Avalanche
        Meguiars Online Acronyms - Meguiars Product List....

Comment

Re: What am I missing??

Hi Jeff, to MOL!

Originally posted by F18lumpy
          …Here's what I've gotten my hands on so far.

1. Mother's Clay bar.
          2. Scratch X
          3. #7 Show car glaze...this is a polish, right?
          4. #26 yellow tech wax

I have a PC DA polisher that I intend to apply the liquid products with…
          That’s a good set of products and will serve you well. Yes #7 is a polish, a “pure polish” in Meguiar’s terms. It has no cutting action.

…I still feel like I need some other type of cleaner product to use between the clay and the #7, but that's only because I'm used to using Mother's three step process….
          Meguiar's 5-Step Paint Care Cycle is basically the same but includes washing up front and maintaining afterward.

…#9 Swirl Remover is availble, but I didn't grab it because I don't have a lot of noticeable swirls...would this be a cleaner type product? Is it something I could use to clean prior to the #7 w/o cutting too much?…
          Yes, #9 is a cleaner/polish. It will clean, remove light swirls and add richness. It’s very much like #7 but with a light cutting ability so you may find that you can skip the #7 when using #9.

#9 is very mild. You won’t cut too much with a PC and #9.

… Suggestions? Are there any other #'s I need to grab before I start? …
          I personally find #9 to be too mild with a PC. I would highly recommend #80 instead. #80 is a very universal product. If you need very little cut just lighten up on your pressure and working time. It can be very mild. When you need more cut add some pressure and work slower on a smaller area.

… What about Meguiar consumer line three step process products?…
          Fine products and completely goof-proof but I prefer a more aggressive cleaner than DC #1.

PC.

Comment

Thanks for the suggestions....

Here's what I'm hearing and thinking.

I would like a little bit of cut because I've never worked on this car before, it's now 5 years old, and I have no idea what's been done to it before. Additionally, I clayed most of the car last night (will finish today) and after a closer look at the surface, it needs to be taken down a bit. No swirls, but definately some imperfections.

If #7 has no cut, then I definately need something. It sounds like #80 preferred (but I can't find it locally), #9 OK (available locally) but possibly not strong enough for some problems.

Sounds like DC #1 is an option to give me some cutting. I have about 1/2 a bottle of Mothers Pre-Wax cleaner which I'm guessing is similar in purpose to the DC#1. It's their first step product.

Here's what I think my options might be to finish this weekend...

1. Mother's Pre-wax or DC1, #7, #26
            2. #9, #26
            3. Go DC 1, 2, then either 3, or GC, or NXT, or #26

If I choose to use #80, I'll have to wait a few days to get some. Not an option unfortunately since I'm working on my daily driver and don't want to let it out of the garage until the wax is on.

I'm leaning toward option #3 as it sounds like the biggest "no brainer" for now.

Any opinions of DC3 vs GC vs NXT vs #26?

Thanks
            Jeff

Comment

OK, better clear up my previous post... Trying to stick with your thoughts of applying all products with a PC and pro products are hard to find and assuming no defects, but it sounds like that may not be the case. So, DC#1 is only a chemical cleaner very gentle and very safe but it more than likely won't remove any defects.

If you can get it, I am with the other PC on the #80 very good product and works well its a cleaner/polish and could eliminate your pure polish step and go straight to wax. Now if its not available you could use ScratchX by hand(can't be use with a PC). I also agree #9 is rather mild and I have not had too much luck with it using my PC.

Here are a couple posts that may help:
              Using the G-100 to remove swirls with the Professional Line
              How To Remove Swirls By Hand

hope there is no confusion.
              Brandon

2007 Black Chevy Avalanche

My Albums: Avalanche
              Meguiars Online Acronyms - Meguiars Product List....

Comment

Thanks for the suggestions....

Here's what I'm hearing and thinking.

I would like a little bit of cut because I've never worked on this car before, it's now 5 years old, and I have no idea what's been done to it before. Additionally, I clayed most of the car last night (will finish today) and after a closer look at the surface, it needs to be taken down a bit. No swirls, but definately some imperfections.

If #7 has no cut, then I definately need something. It sounds like #80 preferred (but I can't find it locally), #9 OK (available locally) but possibly not strong enough for some problems.

Sounds like DC #1 is an option to give me some cutting. I have about 1/2 a bottle of Mothers Pre-Wax cleaner which I'm guessing is similar in purpose to the DC#1. It's their first step product.

Here's what I think my options might be to finish this weekend...

1. Mother's Pre-wax or DC1, #7, #26
                2. #9, #26
                3. Go DC 1, 2, then either 3, or GC, or NXT, or #26

If I choose to use #80, I'll have to wait a few days to get some. Not an option unfortunately since I'm working on my daily driver and don't want to let it out of the garage until the wax is on.

I'm leaning toward option #3 as it sounds like the biggest "no brainer" for now.

Any opinions of DC3 vs GC vs NXT vs #26?

Thanks
                Jeff
                I've used GC, NXT and #26, and I prefer the NXT, only because of the deep glossy shine and the lasting durability. The shine of NXT will diminsh with time, but the protection will not.

Comment

Well, I went back to the store and grabbed some ol' #9. This round is gonna be
                  1. Scratch X by hand only in the areas that need it.

#7 will probably be returned to the store during the week. In the future, it sounds like I could swap #9 for #80 and still keep it at a two step process....three times around is more than I'd like to be doing. I don't quite have the free time that I once did.....kids etc. now.

Thanks
                  Jeff

Comment

Hi Jeff,

Welcome to Meguiar's Online!

M80 is quite a bit more aggressive than #9 yet it's very safe to uses, fact is #9 is very gentle.

M80 is my go-to product to try first to remove light defects, if this doesn't work I can alway get more aggressive.

Yesterday at our Detailing Class, we worked on the white Subaru pictured in this thread,

Both ScratchX by hand and M80 Speed Glaze applied using the dual action polisher with a W-8006 on speed setting 5.0 completely removed every swirl and scratch out of the paint.

Both products are tools that every serious enthusiat should have in their tool box, or arsanel of products, to help them tackle anything that comes their way when working on thier car or someone elses car.
                    Mike Phillips
                    760-515-0444
                    showcargarage@gmail.com

"Find something you like and use it often"

Comment

Well, the #9 has been on and off....I'm about 3/4 complete with the #26.

Mike you are right, the #9 is very gentle indeed. I even used it with a medium cut pad I have and while the overall finish does look better, there are some areas that need further attention. I'll plan ahead a bit better next time and ORDER the #80 before I start the process. I got the clay going and then decided I'd better go get the Meguiars before it got any later in the weekend. Little did I know finding a good selection of Pro-line products in Virginia Beach would be difficult.

Thanks for everyone's suggestions, I expect I'll be using the Meg's products again. The car looks just as nice as my previous zymol efforts and the cost is much less.

Jeff

Comment

Working...
                      X
                      gtag('config', 'UA-161993-8');