• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Tire Dressing Test - 56K warning!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tire Dressing Test - 56K warning!

Here is a little very un-scientific test I did, just did it for fun. I just bought a new digital camera and watching the weather (long dry spell) it appeared a good time to start this little test. This was started on the morning of 01/03/2006.

The night before I washed the tires with NXT Generation Car Wash then I used some NXT Generation Tire Cleaner with the Versa-Angle Tire Brush and rinsed. I cleaned them with both the soap and tire cleaner to ensure a clean surface. I wiped dry then let them sit over might to make sure any left over water had evaporated.

Here is what I had after cleaning:

I then applied the tire dressings/protectants to the tires, for the "test" I used:

NXT Generation Insane Shine Tire Spray - Sprayed on following the directions.
    NXT Generation Tech Protectant - Sprayed on to the tire then wiped with an old cotton towel. I know this is an interior product but it says rubber on the bottle so I thought I would give it a try for fun.
    Gold Class Endurance High Gloss - Applied with a "tire swipe" let sit for 30 min and removed excess with an old cotton towel.
    #38 Tire & Trim Dressing Gel - Applied with an even coat applicator let sit for 30 min and wiped of excess with an old cotton towel.

I did my best to make sure photos were taken the same time a day, late afternoon. They were all taken in my driveway I attempted to take all photos in the shade with out the flash camera positioned 12-16" from the tire. The truck sits outside when I am at work Monday-Friday and in the garage at night. Weekends, who knows, its inside, its outside, its inside, its outside… you get the idea.
    Brandon

2007 Black Chevy Avalanche

My Albums: Avalanche
    Meguiars Online Acronyms - Meguiars Product List....

Now for the test:

Day 1 – 1/3/2006 - Here are the tires with the product applied:
    Total Miles Driven: 0
    Weather: Overcast/Dry
    Road Conditions: ---
    Days High Temp: 37 deg F. products applied in garage @ 55 deg F.

Comments: As you can see the look is different with all of the products. NXT Tech Protectant left a matte finish very little gloss if any, just a natural look. #38 Tire and Trim Dressing left the next level of gloss(slightly more than the NXT Tech Protectant) but still a very natural look. The Endurance High Gloss has a "high gloss" look to it, not natural but still looks very good. The NXT Insane Shine left a "insane shine", defiantly not natural, there is a little more gloss here than I like but its still a good product.
    Brandon

Comment

Day 2 – 1/4/2006:
      Total Miles Driven: 56
      Weather: Sunny/Dry
      Road Conditions: Dry
      Days High Temp: 42 deg F.

Comments: All seem to be hanging in there well all look good, not quite “freshly applied” but they all still look freshly dressed.
      Brandon

Comment

Day 3 – 1/5/2006:
        Total Miles Driven: 60
        Weather: Overcast/Dry/Windy
        Days High Temp: 29 deg F.

Sorry, no photo for day 3, to cold and windy so this day gets a pass!
        Brandon

Comment

Day 4 – 1/6/2006:
          Total Miles Driven: 69
          Days High Temp: 33 deg F.

Comments: This is the day where NXT Tech Protectant appeared to "fall off" and looks just like a tire would straight out of the box other than some streaks here and there of the protectant. NXT Insane Shine has toned down and Endurance has toned down slightly but still looks good. #38 appears to be hanging in there quite nice, but lost a little of the "#38 look". #38 has kind of surprised me I figured it would drop out after a couple days, but is holding up well.
          Brandon

Comment

Day 5 – 1/7/06:
            Total Miles Driven: 85
            Weather: Sunny/Dry
            Days High Temp: 48 deg F.

Comments: Overall the appearance seems to be similar to yesterday, no sudden change in looks. Looking at the tires I did think by this time there would be more dust and dirt stuck to the tires but the look rather clean.

Here is where its getting a little expensive and I ran into a little problem with the tire where the #38 Tire and Trim Dressing was applied. While I was taking the photos I noticed it was quite low on air so I filled it and took it in, there are three nails in the tire and its not repairable I am unsure what I am going to do about my tire(s). Right now I am running on my spare so #38 is out of the line up and it’s the one I was most looking forward to seeing the results.
            Brandon

Comment

Day 6 – 1/8/2006:
              Total Miles Driven: 130
              Days High Temp: 36 deg F.

Comments: I am discovering; in the photos the products are looking a little different in the photos than in person, it’s a little difficult to see the difference in the photos. Its best if you look at a slick part of the tire (closest to the rim or the lettering). I can say, again the NXT Tech Protectant is pretty much out of the race, the tire is dull with some “protected” spots here and there but they are hard to see even in person. The NXT Insane Shine has lost a lot of its initial “Insane Shine” but still looks good, just like dressed tire. The Endurance High Gloss looks similar (to the Insane Shine) but the look is a little different, not the shine but the look/color, it’s a little hard to explain. Right now I give the edge to the Endurance High Gloss for the look, the overall look is more even around the tire it just has a “nice” appearance.
              Last edited by gb387; Jan 10, 2006, 04:02 AM.
              Brandon

Comment

I've found different tire brands will also have an effect on how long shine lasts. BF Goodrich and Michellin seem to **** up shine better than other brands. The Generals on my parents Mariner are so hard that everything seems to sling right off it. Endurance only lasted about 1.5 weeks. Their other Taurus has Continentals and Endurance lasted 2.5 weeks on that. My Fusion which also has Conts. on it lasted 2.5 weeks with salty roads. My previous Ranger had BFGs that would hold Endurance for almost a month.

Comment

Yeah, you can shine a Michelin with spit! :lol
                  Quadruple Honda Owner
                  Black cars are easy!

Comment

So you're saying that #38 attracts nails? I mean, the tire picked up 3 nails while the others had none...

Cool test, though. I find the same about NXT tech protectant. It looks very nice and matteish, but I get about a week or so if it doesn't rain.

Are those F1 GS-D3's? If so, how do you like them? I was thinking about F1 Supercars for my car, but I think Goodyear stopped making them in my rear tire size. The GS-D3 is a lot less money, and seems to perform well.
                    1990 Corvette ZR-1 Bright Red with Red interior Hear it!
                    2002 Aurora 4.0 Cherry Metallic with Neutral interior Hear it!
                    1997.5 Regal GS Jasper Green Pearl with Medium Gray interior

Comment

Yes, #38 does attract nails!

They are Goodyear Eagle F1 GS (not sure on the D3). Best tires I have had in the rain! Worst tires I have had in the snow, but they are not rated for snow. They don't wear the best and I don't really run that hard as I don't want to buy a new set all that bad, but now... They really seem to stick, over all I like them but the price is a little on the high side but I knew that when I bought the truck so no surprise.

You may have done this but go to www.tirerack.com and find the tire you want and there are typically consumer review on the tire information page.
                      Brandon

Comment

Hey Gb,

Great test!!! Thank you for posting this on MOL!! Your results are very similar to my own. But my favorite dressing for tires still remains, Meguiar's All Season Dressing!

Tim
                        Tim Lingor's Product Reviews

Comment

This is my new favorite:

But the NXT Tech Protect is definitely my new favorite "plastic-protection" for my Tacoma 4x4.

For some reason I didn't think it would work too well on my 31" tires... No matter what I use though, I'm finding myself having to really work the liquid into the tire material (BFG's) in order to avoid it flinging all over the bedsides of the truck.

Brian

Comment

Hi Brandon,

Nice test you did here, especially how you did your best to use controls all the way from beginning to end. We're sorry to hear you lost a tire during the test due to nails. There's a lot of construction where we live and in the last 3 months we've picked up two nails in our tires, so I feel your pain.

I'll pass this on to the Product Manager for tire dressings as well as interior dressings.

Mike Phillips
                            760-515-0444
                            showcargarage@gmail.com

"Find something you like and use it often"

Comment

Great test, I wish that the Hot Shine could have been in that line up because that is the dressing that I tend to use the most and I would have been curious to see how it handled. I have tried the Insane Shine but it just doesn't seem to gloss the way that I like as Hot Shine does.

Trent W.

------------------------------

2002 Ford F-150 SuperCrew FX4
                              2002 Chevrolet Tahoe LS

Comment

Working...
                              X
                              gtag('config', 'UA-161993-8');