• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Pad storage tip

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Pad storage tip

I've found the ideal way to store my buffer and hand application foam pads. I know they're not supposed to be store in an air-tight container, but dirt & dust cannot be allowed to collect on them either. For my 8" rotary pads, I got some large, flat tupperware, and punched a bunch of small (~1 cm....actually my company's heavy-duty hole puncher....I'm SURE it wasn't made for that, but oh well) holes in a kind of geometrical pattern in the top. I then got some paper towels, folded them over once, and duct-taped them on the inside of the lid so no air could get around them, and presumably air could travel through the paper towels preventing sediment from getting inside. I did a simlar thing with differently shaped tupperware like containers for my hand foam pads. I'll report the effectiveness of this method next time I take them out.

I'd take a picture of this, but after a while spent on my cell phone theme project (see the break room), I'm going to bed. Thought I'd just share my idea. Someone without much storage space probably already thought of this, but lemme know what you think.
    My car's so shiny I can see your car's swirls in its reflection.

Great idea danielsan!

I was thinking of trying something like that myself. I was going to look for some kind of tightly woven (or dense non-woven) synthetic fabric instead of the paper towels for durability and reduced lint.

PC.

Comment

Originally posted by the other pc
      Great idea danielsan!

I was thinking of trying something like that myself. I was going to look for some kind of tightly woven (or dense non-woven) synthetic fabric instead of the paper towels for durability and reduced lint.
      PC.
      I think you might be right, hadn't thought about the paper decomposing....might be a good use for retired MF towels.....
      My car's so shiny I can see your car's swirls in its reflection.

Comment

Now I'm sorry I sold my old bamboo rice steamers. They would have been great.
        It's not just chocolate, it's a lifestyle.

Comment

Originally posted by the other pc
          Great idea danielsan!

PC.
          I use Scott Shop towels. very little lint, plus they react well when they get damp.
          Doug

Comment

Ive been thinking about the Kenco range of hand towels etc and their polish cloth is the right width for the hand applicators with a slot down the centre, their also an open weave which would let the air curculate. I'll post a pics of the product im talking about tommorow and how it works (and when i get some new batteries )
            Detailing is a passion NOT a chore

Comment

I store my pad's in this. And the other's I keep in a storage cabinet.

Comment

I have been keeping my pads in a plastic box with the lid cut out and a 3M disposable paint/dust face mask taped over a large hole in the lid. Thought I was being compulsive - glad to see others are thinking along the same lines.

Comment

Well, I guess this is one subject that I am not real anal about.

I use 8"x8" ziplock baggies. I just don't close the ziplock. I keep the Pads int he original cardboard boxes they came in.

I do wash my pads, then sling them out with the Rotary at Speed 6. Then I let them sit outside under a towel on a grit guard for the rest of the day. Then they come in and set in front of a fan overnight.

After all of this they are bone dry and go into the ziplock. Like I said, the end stays open and I just stack them back in the origianl cardboard box.

I was closing the ziplocks at first but noticed a funky smell when opening so I stopped that.
                  Jeff Smith

Don't mistake my enthusiasm for experience.

Comment

I store mine in a zip lock back on a shelf in the garage. Might not be the best way but it work out ok. If the temps are really hot or really cold I bring them along with all the cleaning products....
                    -2001 Silverstone Metallic Honda s2000 #8217
                    -1997 Suzuki GSX-R 600

Comment

Chevyman:

That is a pretty nice storage bag. Where did you get it at? That would fit nicely in my car to keep my QD and MF in. And the color would match perfectly too. Great ideas on the storage containers guys. When I get my PC I plan getting a little storage setup for my pads and you have gave me a great idea.
                      2016 Focus ST

Comment

i use the same bag the pad came in

Comment

I too use the original bag. I just open carefully along the top seam and put a piece of white masking tape with the product number on the tape.

Comment

i like the MF style,

i'm going to get a good size plastic tupperware to hold 2-3 pads at a time.

then poke little holes in the top and cover the holes with MF towels i can get a the local shop for a few bucks instead of paper towles and then just place a nice piece of plastic over the pads before i close.

Comment

Working...
                            X
                            gtag('config', 'UA-161993-8');