• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Medallion Cleaner - #7 Glaze - #21 Sealant Question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Medallion Cleaner - #7 Glaze - #21 Sealant Question

Hi,

Prior to waxing my car (a light-silver '06 Corolla) with #21 Synthetic Sealant, I routinely use Meguiar's Medallion Paint Cleaner. I understand that this product is no longer being manufactured due to environmental concerns. Is there another Meguiar's cleaner that's just as effective? Also, could I use #7 (Show Car Glaze) before appying #21 or will this hinder the sealant's ability to bond with the paint?

Thanks!

Hey,

How will you be applying the products...by hand or machine?

If you are just trying to clean the paint that is already in excellent condition, then you could use #9 Swirl Remover or #80 Speed Glaze or ColorX from the consumer line. If you have swirls you wish to remove by hand, then I would use ScratchX followed by #9 Swirl Remover.

If you will be using a DA Polisher, the G100, then I would use #80 Speed Glaze with a W-8006 Polishing Pad.

Either way, you can choose to follow the above with #7 Show Car Glaze for a little added "pop" and richness to the finish. I have found no adverse effects from using the #7 before #21 or any other Meguiar's sealant or wax as Meguiar's products are designed to work together. Further, if you use the #80, you may not need the #7 as it too contains a healthly dose of TS Oils. In all cases, make sure to apply and remove 2 thin coats of #21.

So, to clarify:

By hand: ScratchX (if you have swirls) + #9 (or ColorX or #80) + #7 + #212 x2

By Machine: #80 (or #9) + #7 +#21 x 2

Here is my wife's car with #21 x 2:

Here is my truck after using #80 + #21x2 + NXT Paste Wax:

Cheers!

Tim
    Tim Lingor's Product Reviews

Comment

Tim,

Thanks for the advice. I'll be applying the products by hand. Upon finishing the bottle of Medallion Paint Cleaner, I'll start using #9 Swirl Remover.

You've done a superb job maintaining the finish on your automobiles! By the way, my Corolla is the exact color as yours.

Once again, thanks!
      Last edited by intergalactica; Apr 12, 2006, 04:41 PM.

Comment

Hey Tim,

What do you use on the tires of your ford truck?

Comment

Originally posted by matt colvin
          Hey Tim,

What do you use on the tires of your ford truck?
          Hey Matt,

I use Meguiar's All Season Dressing. I apply it with a foam appilcator, allow the product to set-up for a good 5-7 minutes, then come back and thoroughly wipe down the tires with a dedicated MF towel. ASD is my favorite dressing as it looks great and lasts and lasts!!!!

All Season Dressing

Tim

Comment

Thanks, I think they look perfect. Do you ever use any type of cleaner prior to applying the ASD or do you use it alone??? Does it seem to last very long in comparison to other dressings?

In the thread that I had with my truck, I sorta (not very clear though lol)alluded to my need to find a dressing that I liked. I had been using Hot Shine, but I believe I will switch to that.

Thank you very much,

Matt Colvin.

Comment

Hi Matt,

From my experience, I have gotten the best performance from the All Season Dressing for both looks and durability. Since it lasts so well, I generally just have to rinse the dirt off the tires. But, I do like to clean them after every 3 washes or so. To do so, I use a Meguiar's Tire Brush and carwash solution.

Tim

Comment

can you get a pic of the foam pad used?

thanks
                Patrick Yu
                2003 Honda Accord
                2008 Honda Accord EX-L V6

Comment

Correct me if I'm wrong, but wasn't MPPC a chemical cleaner? If you don't need the light abrasive cleaning ability of #80 or #9, why use it? AFAIK, the only chemical cleaner Megs has left in their lineup is Deep Crystal Cleaner.

Comment

Tim,

Do you use the All - Season Dressing on your wheel wells as well?

And Scimmia, you are quite right. Using the least agressive product possible is always best. Even with something like ColorX, or the other abrasive products, you can apply them more gently or more agressively as well.

DC#1, and the A-12 Cleaner/wax are both chemical only.
                    2017 Subaru WRX Premium - WR Blue

Comment

Originally posted by Murr1525
                      Tim,

Do you use the All - Season Dressing on your wheel wells as well?

Hey Murr,

For the wheel wells, I use Hyper Dressing diluted at 3:1

Tim

Comment

Thanks a lot.

The Hyper dressing seems to repell dirt, or at least last longer and wash clean easier than ASD?
                        2017 Subaru WRX Premium - WR Blue

Comment

Tim,

That has to be *the* nicest-looking Corolla-S I've never seen. I honestly didn't think it was possible.

Maybe later in the year when i get a G100, I'll get it looking close. Mine is in black:

Comment

Originally posted by Murr1525
                            Thanks a lot.

The Hyper dressing seems to repell dirt, or at least last longer and wash clean easier than ASD?
                            ASD is solvent based and tends to last longer than Hyper Dressing. But in the wheel wells, HD works so well as it tends to blend easily giving a nice deep black with a uniform appearance.

Tim

Comment

Originally posted by Brian Catalano
                              Tim,

That has to be *the* nicest-looking Corolla-S I've never seen. I honestly didn't think it was possible.

Maybe later in the year when i get a G100, I'll get it looking close. Mine is in black:

Thank you Brian! Keep hanging around MOL and we will have your Corolla S looking awesome!!!

Tim

Comment

Working...
                              X
                              gtag('config', 'UA-161993-8');