• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Musty Smell From Air Conditioner

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Musty Smell From Air Conditioner

If anyone want to go to the link 2008es350 posted just copy it and paste it to your browser and add a period after the www

Thanks!

Mark

Comment

1Z Einszett has a product for cleaning the duct work, might want to check it out: 1Z Einszett Klima-Cleaner Air Conditioner Treatment
      AeroCleanse, LLC
      Wisconsin's Elite Detailing Service
      www.aerocleanse.com

Comment

My xSO's mother's Intrepid developed a rank odor, much like what has been described here, after a trip to Florida. She complained that the car still smelled like the beach all the time.

Turned out that her other daughter had told to always leave the AC in 'recirculation' mode as 'it works better that way'. After I had her underline and highlight the appropriate section in the owners manual (RTFM!) where it says to only do that to initially cool the car down and then switch to 'outside' mode did the problem go away.

Nothing else was done beside using the AC correctly and indeed, a few days later the car smelled 'Ok' again.

Mike
        Finally learning how to shine sheet-metal!
        Pictures live here!

Comment

holy old thread Batman!
          another thing to do is bring you car to a shop and have them blow out the A/C condensor housing drain tube, they get cloged all the time and will trap nasty, microbe harboring water in.
          VTEC: all the lag, none of the turbo

Comment

It is indeed old but relevant. My bro uses Frigi Fresh, its a BG product and has great success. Used it for years when dealing with Fords. My Buick Century which is a 2000 but has only 58k as it was elderly driven and it sat a lot.

Comment

1Z Einszett has a product for cleaning the duct work, might want to check it out: 1Z Einszett Klima-Cleaner Air Conditioner Treatment
              I've used the 1Z Einszett stuff, it was really easy to use and it seemed to work really well. However I've only used it once. I guess take that for what it's worth... I don't have much experience with it, but didn't need to become an expert as once took care of it. YMMV I'm not sure if you're sensitive to chemical type smells, but it did take a few days for the scent of the cleaner to go away. I actually kind of liked it but I'm not sure if its for everyone.

Things you can do to keep it from coming back in the future:
              1) Don't run your AC on recirculate all the time. At start up or if you get behind a big truck, then switch it back.
              2) Turn your AC off a minute or two before you get to where you're going.
              3) Let the fan run (without the AC) a little longer once get to your destination.

I'm sure there are more out there, but you get the idea. Doing the above should help keep that area dryer and less mold friendly.

Comment

Working...
              X
              gtag('config', 'UA-161993-8');