• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Spot Buffs Kit - WARNING!!!

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Spot Buffs Kit - WARNING!!!

So, I recently purchased a Spot Buffs kit from Autogeek. Basically, it's a kit of 4" pads with a velcro backing plate and two adapters. One adapter is so that you can use the backing plate with a drill and the other is to use the plate with a PC. I thought the kit would be great for hard to reach areas and for doing paint correction as the smaller pad facilitates that.

The first time I used the kit I used the drill adapter. I wasn't terribly impressed with the results, but I felt it was because my cordless drill wasn't powerful enough. So, the next time I used it I decided to try the PC adapter. I had some light scratches on my hood that I wanted to buff out. This was the result:

What happened was as soon as the speed was turned to 5 the adapter spun out of the backing plate and went right into the hood. I had to have the whole hood re-painted to the tune of just over $500.

I wrote Autogeek an email describing the problem. Because they are an AWESOME vendor they forwarded my email to Lake Country who manufacture the kit.

Lake Country on the other hand was not awesome. After sending them some pictures and having some email correspondence with one of their representatives they decided they would not be doing anything for me. Their reason being that the design of their kit should prevent this from happening. Well designs are all well and good, but reality is another matter. Because of this I will NEVER EVER buy another Lake Country product. Their product failed when I used it and damaged my car. However, they are not willing to stand behind it. I will however continue to shop with Autogeek, because they handled this situation as it should have been handled.

YOWZA! Ouch! I thought the warning in your subject was concerning the product, but now I realize it was a warning about how painful the picture of your hood was going to be to look at!
    My car's so shiny I can see your car's swirls in its reflection.

Comment

Originally posted by danielsan
      YOWZA! Ouch! I thought the warning in your subject was concerning the product, but now I realize it was a warning about how painful the picture of your hood was going to be to look at!
      I guess it was really both.

Comment

Sorry to hear about that, real bummer.
        Brandon

2007 Black Chevy Avalanche

My Albums: Avalanche
        Meguiars Online Acronyms - Meguiars Product List....

Comment

Sorry to about your misfortune. I thought the backing plate had external threading as do the regular 5" or 6" backing plates and not an adapter to make it work.

I believe Auto quip INC, eezer, mikra or Ferro make 5/16 24, external threaded backing plate to fit 4" pads.

Eric
          Last edited by Teak; Jan 18, 2006, 11:12 PM.
          Talk it over folks. Communication is the key.

--Jerry Springer

Comment

Originally posted by Teak
            Sorry to about your misfortune. I thought the backing plate had external threading as do the regular 5" or 6" backing plates and not an adapter to make it work.

I believe Auto quip INC, eezer, mikra or Ferro make 5/16 24, external threaded backing plate to 4" pads.

Eric
            The plate that comes with the kit in question does not have a fixed threaded post. It uses dual sided threaded posts (as pictured) to enable the user to attach the plate to different machines.

Comment

Originally posted by Mikeyc
              The plate that comes with the kit in question does not have a fixed threaded post. It uses dual sided threaded posts (as pictured) to enable the user to attach the plate to different machines.
              I know the backing plate which came with the pad kit has internal threading. I was merely suggesting you look into one of companies mentioned as an alternative source for a backing plate.

Will the backing plate included in the pad fit on a rotary polisher?

Eric
              Talk it over folks. Communication is the key.

--Jerry Springer

Comment

Originally posted by Teak
                I know the backing plate which came with the pad kit has internal threading. I was merely suggesting you look into one of companies mentioned as an alternative source for a backing plate.

Will the backing plate included in the pad fit on a rotary polisher?

Eric
                I'm not sure if the backing plate would work with a rotary polisher. Also, I did already order a new backing plate with a fixed threaded post so that I can use the pads that came with the kit.

Comment

Hey,

We at MOL want people to get the most from their time, effort and money. Hence we will do everything we can to answer questions so you can have that flawless paint finish!

However, we at MOL do not allow the bashing of other companies.

From the MOL Forum Rules:

4. No bashing any company or their products. No bashing other people. If you can't say anything nice about someone, then don't say anything at all.

Therefore, I am closing this thread.

Thank you for your understanding.

Tim
                  MOL Super Moderator
                  Tim Lingor's Product Reviews

Comment

Working...
                  X
                  gtag('config', 'UA-161993-8');