• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

toyota rav4

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• toyota rav4

As i am goign to take on a clients 1998 rav4 in black single stage I am curious as to what products i should use . The defects are minor oxidation on hood , horrid swirls everywhere and water spots on the hood . I have a rotary and a pc and everything from #80 to #84 . For pads I have 8006 , 9006 , 7006 and a wool .

I havent worked with many single stage paints before are they mostly soft or hard , I know alot of dead paint will come off onto the pad is this harmful to the finish if you continue to work with the pad loaded up with dead paint or should you clean it ?
    "A musclecar, by definition, is a powerful and sporty vehicle that must be able to spin its tires at will. The Firebird Trans Am is capable of laying down twin black streaks of rubber several hundred feet long. We wanted to be sure it could, so we did it a half dozen times in the name of automotive science." - Motor Trend

A 98 Rav4 is a single stage? Did they get it repainted? If it's original paint, it's probably a little on the soft side. Toyota paint is usually known to be on the soft side.
    -Dennis/FromThisSoil

If anyone is in need of a company logo or flier design, don't hesitate to ask for help.
    I can accommodate any budget.
    To see a few samples of my work just PM me.

Comment

Toyota's do seem to have softer paint, and then black is a softer color beacuse of the pigments used in it.

You may find that a PC and #83 is all you need even with bad swirls if the paint is soft enough.

As as far as clearcoat and single stage safe products, all of the same products can be used. #80, #83, same PC pads, etc.
      2017 Subaru WRX Premium - WR Blue

Comment

Any tips on avoiding splatter with rotary and pc better to put product on paint or on the pad im having some minor issues
        "A musclecar, by definition, is a powerful and sporty vehicle that must be able to spin its tires at will. The Firebird Trans Am is capable of laying down twin black streaks of rubber several hundred feet long. We wanted to be sure it could, so we did it a half dozen times in the name of automotive science." - Motor Trend

Comment

For PC: Pad flat on the surface before you turn it on. Pad flat on the surface before you turn it off. Spend as little time on high arches that may reveal the bottom of the pad to air.
          Proud owner of the finest looking car in the parking lot.
          Switch to Linux. Use energy efficient lightbulbs and appliances. Keep your car well maintained and drive easy to save gas. Eat less fast food. Call your mother and tell her you love her. Try flying a kite. Read a wikipedia article daily. Use Meguiar's.

Comment

here's a little write up I did on a Toyota Rav I did this fall. I hadn't had previous experience with Toyota paint before this, so this may have some helpful advice.

Toyota Rav detail

Comment

Tom that rav 4 came out real nice....
              RZ AutoDetailing

My Gallery

Comment

thanks for the link as the one i will be doing is a 98 in black and the same lower grey panels . did u dress the grey panels if so with what product ? are they vinyl ?

Comment

I have used the Gold Class Trim Detailer in the bottle on grey claddings (not a Rav4), and came out quite nice.
                  2017 Subaru WRX Premium - WR Blue

Comment

Thanks for the compliments, as I've said somehwere before, SS black paint looks amazing when it's polished up, more so that CC paint IMO.

On the plastic side panels and trim on the Rav, I used #80 on my PC with a polishing pad. It wasn't a rough surface, like a smooth plastic. I followed that with 21 on a PC with a finishing pad as I did on the rest of the vehicle.

Tom

Comment

Working...
                    X
                    gtag('config', 'UA-161993-8');