• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

irregular shape bead means no protection?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• irregular shape bead means no protection?

On the bottle of Prestone Quick Shine Detailer (a spray wax), there are two pictures. One has irregular shape beads and the other has round beads.
    According to the explanation on the bottle, the irregular shape beads means no wax protection.

However, I saw a picture at a forum (Meguiars Online or Autopia) with irregular shape beads on a car. The poster said he applied NXT Tech Wax.

Here comes the science.. well, not really.

A tight round bead means that the surface has a low surface-tension.

Now, some waxes have a low surface tension, some dont. For instance, the Meguiars Cleaner/Wax and the DC#3 are probably the Meguiars waxes that bead the most. Nxt isnt the best beading wax.

However, surface tension and protection are not related, and can actualy be opposite.

So if their wax beads water, and the beading decreases, then their wax is wearing off. If a wax doesnt bead well from the start, then it not beading well isnt the best indicator of protetion.
    2017 Subaru WRX Premium - WR Blue

Comment

Water beading is sign of surface tension and with time and washing as well as exposure to the elements surface tension diminishes and water beading falls off. This happens to all waxes and is not an accurate indicator of wax left on the surface or protection left on the surface.

Instead of using water beading as an indicator, think of waxing your car like you do changing your oil.

Most people change their oil every 3000 miles for preventative maintenance for the internal components of the engine to insure the engine lasts a long time.

Most people understand that if they don't get to the oil change till 3300 miles or even 4000 miles the engine isn't going to fall apart or seize-up; the 3000 mile mark is just a measure or mark as an insurance policy, thus the term preventative maintenance.

Maintaining your car's finish, if it's a daily driver is kind of the same thing, you don't want to wait till the clear coat is flaking off to clean, polish and wax. A better idea is to wash and wax periodically, with claying, cleaning and polishing as needed or wanted.

This is why Barry Meguiar's has always been a proponent for teaching people about putting their car on a regular maintenance program. By doing this, your car always looks good and you can rest assured the finish is always protected.
      Mike Phillips
      760-515-0444
      showcargarage@gmail.com

"Find something you like and use it often"

Comment

That explains a lot, Murr!

Before I really got into detailing my car, I only used Meguiar's cleaner/wax. If there was a really stubborn I would use Paint Scrub prior to waxing. With the Cleaner/Wax I would see really good, tight water beads. They kind you would see in an advertisement.

Now I do the 5 step plan or very close to it, with NXT Tech wax at the end, I have noticed that water beading isn't nearly as tight and round. I wondered if I did anything wrong, or if (gasp) NXT wax isn't as good quality as Cleaner/Wax which is 1/3 the price.

Thanks for clearing it up, guys.

Comment

What exactly is meant by "surface tension" ?

Comment

Originally posted by 98SS
            What exactly is meant by "surface tension" ?

Search the world's information, including webpages, images, videos and more. Google has many special features to help you find exactly what you're looking for.
            Mike Phillips
            760-515-0444
            showcargarage@gmail.com

"Find something you like and use it often"

Comment

Originally posted by paranoid123

Now I do the 5 step plan or very close to it, with NXT Tech wax at the end, I have noticed that water beading isn't nearly as tight and round. I wondered if I did anything wrong, or if (gasp) NXT wax isn't as good quality as Cleaner/Wax which is 1/3 the price.

Thanks for clearing it up, guys.
              Mike will tell you that the Cleaner Wax was intentionally formulated for that "high beading" look specifically for those people who want a wax that "beads tight." Many enthusiasts DON'T WANT a wax or sealant to bead water because tight water beads can:

A) act like miniature magnifying glasses concentrating sunlight on the surface of the car

and

B) in acid/alkaline rain situations, water beads, as they dry, allow the acid/alkaline to become more concentrated/stronger causing more damage to the paint.

Many enthusiasts prefer a wax or sealant that sheets water off...where water runs off the panel in one large 'sheet,' not leaving behind tight beads and minimizing the above dangers.
              Don
              12/27/2015
              "Darth Camaro"
              2013 Camaro ... triple black
              323 hp V6, 6 speed manual

Comment

Well said Don.

I am of those that prefers sheeting rather than beading; especially when you have a large vehicle!

Tim
                Tim Lingor's Product Reviews

Comment

Originally posted by 2hotford
                  I am of those that prefers sheeting rather than beading; especially when you have a large vehicle!

Tim
                  Which products are these?

Comment

Originally posted by atticdog
                    NXT Tech Wax is the example I know.

Alex
                    Mandarina Racing

Comment

Originally posted by atticdog
                      Medallion Premium Paint Protection would do that also.

How about #21? Where does that fit on the beading/sheeting scale? Sometimes it seems to bead, sometimes it seems to sheet.

RamAirV1
                      2015 Dodge Charger R/T Scat Pack 392Granite Crystal
                      2006 GTO Impulse Blue

Comment

Working...
                      X
                      gtag('config', 'UA-161993-8');