• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

#20 #6 #26 #7 ??Questions??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• #20 #6 #26 #7 ??Questions??

I have recently decided to start taking detailing more seriously and have always used Meguiars products. I find Meguiars is making it too complicated for a person to choose their brand. Your professional line #'s seem to be random and the descriptions of many products sound way too close to eachother.

I can not by just the descriptions decide which product is more abrasive than another or which shines better than another. I believe Meguiars needs to make some sort of a chart or scale to help potential customes pick the right product. I know there may be more info on the bottle but that doesnt help when trying to order online.

I really doubt someone at Meguairs can put together a small guide on your professional series #'ered paint detailing products and post it somewhere here on the forums? An abrasion scale would be nice for the polishes too!

Take for example. I have a 96 Mustang Cobra with new paint, I want to add a glaze or polish so I know I barely want any cutting action since the paint is new and here seems to be the most sutable products,

1. Machine Glaze
    2. Show Car Glaze
    3.New car Glaze

Reading their descriptions make them all sound simular.

Anyway, any help would be appreciated, I was close to going with Klasse but im a tad Meguiars Loyal still.

if your paint is in like new condition new car glaze should do the trick

Comment

also (you probly already know)you are spose to let your paint cure for about 3 to 6 months i think also try the car car rx i found it very helful there is a link right on the meguiars home page at the bottom right

Comment

Yes, I will let it cure till next winter but in the meantime I would like to treat my 2002 Dakota Quad Cab. I figure Ill practice on my $28000 truck before I try it on my $12000 car

Comment

For the Mustang, you would be fine using any of the three you mentioned...aside from the chemists saying "...they're totally different products..." I think you'll find that the 'street level user' might notice that ease of use is the only real difference. This is pretty much a subjective thing and will vary greatly depending on your application method (hand or buffer).

For the truck, the most popular products/order of use seems to be:

1) DACP/#82 - depending on severity of paint defects

2) #9/#80 - step down from above

3) #3/#5/#7/#81 - final polish before sealant

4) Medallion/#20/NXT/#26

Of course there are MANY different ways to combine and use the products, I'm just trying to give you a starting point.
          Don
          12/27/2015
          "Darth Camaro"
          2013 Camaro ... triple black
          323 hp V6, 6 speed manual

Comment

Re: #20 #6 #26 #7 #wtf!!??

Originally posted by SVT4ME
            I have recently decided to start taking detailing more seriously and have always used Meguiar’s products. I find Meguiar’s is making it too complicated for a person to choose their brand. Your professional line #'s seem to be random and the descriptions of many products sound way too close to each other.

I cannot by just the descriptions decide which product is more abrasive than another or which shines better than another. I believe Meguiar’s needs to make some sort of a chart or scale to help potential customers pick the right product. I know there may be more info on the bottle but that doesn’t help when trying to order online.

I really doubt someone at Meguiar’s can put together a small guide on your professional series #'numbered paint detailing products and post it somewhere here on the forums? An abrasion scale would be nice for the polishes too!

Take for example. I have a 96 Mustang Cobra with new paint, I want to add a glaze or polish so I know I barely want any cutting action since the paint is new and here seems to be the most suitable products,

1. Machine Glaze
            2. Show Car Glaze
            3. New car Glaze

Reading their descriptions make them all sound similar.

Anyway, any help would be appreciated, I was close to going with Klasse but I’m a tad Meguiar’s Loyal still.
            Hi SVT4ME,

I noticed you asked questions here and on Autopia, I’ll try to answer all of them!

I have recently decided to start taking detailing more seriously and have always used Meguiar’s products. I find Meguiar’s is making it too complicated for a person to choose their brand. Your professional line #'s seem to be random and the descriptions of many products sound way too close to each other.
            Unlike a lot of car wax manufactures that only make products for the consumer market, Meguiar’s roots are in manufacturing products for both the OEM and the Refinishing industries. This would be the Professional Line, or the tan bottles with the numbers on them. The part numbers are must reference part numbers, they do not indicate how aggressive a product is, or the order they should be used in. They are simply quick reference part numbers

And while at first there can be some confusion, for technicians in the industry who use the professional line on a daily basis, they get a handle on the part numbers as well as discover which product work best for their application.

I can not by just the descriptions decide which product is more abrasive than another or which shines better than another. I believe Meguiar’s needs to make some sort of a chart or scale to help potential customers pick the right product. I know there may be more info on the bottle but that doesn’t help when trying to order online.
            I apologize for the confusion, to help out, Meguiar’s offers the best customer care help in the way of Meguiar’s Customer Care Hotline. All the members that make up Meguiar’s Customer Care Hotline team are extremely qualified and can help you to choose the correct products for your application whether you choose to purchase them online, or from a retail outlet.

The phone number for the Customer Care Hotline can be found on the back of any Meguiar’s bottles which makes it convenient to call us if you have a question.

1-800-347-5700

Besides our Customer Care Hotline, we have just started an online discussion forum which you have discovered. This provides people multiple ways to get the information they need to better choose the product they need.

Welcome to Meguiar’s Online Discussion Forums! Thank your for joining!

I really doubt someone at Meguiar’s can put together a small guide on your professional series # numbered paint detailing products and post it somewhere here on the forums?
            I’m working on that one.

An abrasion scale would be nice for the polishes too!
            I started working on what I called, The definitive list of Meguiar’s Compounds, Paint Cleaners, and Cleaner/Polishes, but stopped working on it because first, I have many other responsibilities that come first, and second, it became difficult to organize because there are so many variables that affect how aggressive a product is. For example: Your application material, wool pad, foam pad, terry cloth towel, and your application method, hand, rotary buffer, dual-action polisher, orbital buffer.

Other factors that affect results are paint type and paint hardness. So it’s not as simple as making a list of Meguiar’s products and putting them in a specific order. If it were that simple, it would be finished. That said, I will revisit the The definitive list of Meguiar’s Compounds, Paint Cleaners, and Cleaner/Polishes, and see what I can do.

Take for example. I have a 96 Mustang Cobra with new paint, I want to add a glaze or polish so I know I barely want any cutting action since the paint is new and here seems to be the most suitable products,

1. Machine Glaze
            2. Show Car Glaze
            3. New car Glaze

Reading their descriptions make them all sound similar.

Anyway, any help would be appreciated, I was close to going with Klasse but I’m a tad Meguiar’s Loyal still.
            Again, I apologize for the confusion when reading the labels on the above products. Let me try to help.

Since you say your 1996 Mustang Cobra has new paint, can I assume it has a basecoat/clear coat paint system?

If so, the best and easiest pure polish to use for a new basecoat/clearcoat finish would be either the Step-2 Polish in the Deep Crystal line, or the #81 Hand Polish in the Professional line.

Both of these pure polishes are non-abrasive and formulated to work specifically with clear coat finishes. The three you listed above are polishes formulated for use on single stage finishes. You can still use them on clear coat finishes, but removal may be more difficult than the removal of Step-2 Polish and the #81 Hand Polish.

Here’s a link to a thread on ShowCarGarage on using #81 Hand Polish before applying a paint protectant,

http://www.showcargarage.com/forum/showthread.php?s=&threadid=690

I hope this helps, please feel free to ask more questions and I’ll do my best to answer them till you’re satisfied. I will also try to answer your question on Autopia sometime today.

http://www.autopia.org/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=32963

Kind regards,

Mike Phillips
            Mike Phillips
            760-515-0444
            showcargarage@gmail.com

"Find something you like and use it often"

Comment

Originally posted by mopar
              if your paint is in like new condition new car glaze should do the trick
              New Car Glaze is a good polish, but Deep Crystal Step-2 or #81 Hand Polish will probably give better results for this application.

Mike
              Mike Phillips
              760-515-0444
              showcargarage@gmail.com

Comment

Originally posted by mopar
                also (you probly already know)you are spose to let your paint cure for about 3 to 6 months i think also try the car car rx i found it very helful there is a link right on the meguiars home page at the bottom right
                Always follow the paint manufactures recommendations. Your painter should be able to give you this information.

Until the paint is cured, you can safely apply many of the polishes in Meguiar's Professional line.

Mike
                Mike Phillips
                760-515-0444
                showcargarage@gmail.com

Comment

Yes, I will let it cure till next winter but in the meantime I would like to treat my 2002 Dakota Quad Cab. I figure Ill practice on my $28000 truck before I try it on my $12000 car
                  The usual curing period is 30/60/90 days. After that, you should be able to apply a paint protectant. You should first check with your painter to make sure.

Mike
                  Mike Phillips
                  760-515-0444
                  showcargarage@gmail.com

Comment

Mike, thanks for the info! Stupid question but can I apply the hand polish with my Porter Cable!? Im so excited to use my new tool! also I am starting to get a good feel for what product I need to use as far as polish but I am having trouble deciding on the topper. I am trying to choose from

NXT

#20 and NXT seem like they are VERY simular and I know that #26 is a Carnuba. Can you tell the pros and cons of those compard to eachother? Im not sure if it matters but its for a white car. Im looking forward you your guide cause lets face it, although it says professional on the bottle...we all like to try somehing mor interesting than the 3 step process!

Thanks again.

Comment

You know this post has helped me a great deal as well I have a better idea what differences in the poilshes are.

I keep hearing about the hand polish and its the thing to use but I also have the same question can the hand polish be applied with a Porter Cable? I am looking for a replacement to my Deep Crystal polish and the hand polish seems to be the ticket.

Mike Phillips... I saw #9 mentioned, is the #9 safe for clear coats? I have some swirls and fine scratches I would like to eliminate or minimize would this help, I would apply it with a PC?
                      Brandon

2007 Black Chevy Avalanche

My Albums: Avalanche
                      Meguiars Online Acronyms - Meguiars Product List....

Comment

Mike, thanks for the info! Stupid question but can I apply the hand polish with my Porter Cable!? Im so excited to use my new tool!
                        Yes. While it the label says it’s for hand application, I have tried it with the PC and it works just fine.

Also I am starting to get a good feel for what product I need to use as far as polish but I am having trouble deciding on the topper. I am trying to choose from

NXT

#20 and NXT seem like they are VERY similar
                        Completely different formula’s. Right from the Vice President of R&D

And I know that #26 is a Carnauba.
                        #26 is a Blended wax. If you read the label on #26 carefully, it says, Premium yellow Carnauba wax blended with silicones, polymers and resins. So while "Yes", it does contain Carnauba, it is only one component of a complex blend of other ingredients. Just for the record, Meguiar’s doesn’t offer any waxes that rely solely on Carnauba.

Can you tell the pros and cons of those compared to each other?
                        That might take while… But here’s the short version,

#20 Polymer Sealant is a highly water and detergent resistant polymer paint protectant with a very light amount of chemical cleaners. Because it has a little cleaning action, it cannot be categorized as a pure protectant. The chemical cleaners help to clean the surface from any light oxidation, road grime, surface staining, etc. so that the polymers can better bond to the paint. #20 creates a very slick surface, with high gloss and high shine.

#26 Hi Tech Yellow Wax is a pure wax in the sense that it contains no ingredients with the intended purpose of cleaning the surface. For this reason it is only intended to be used on new cars, new paint, (that has past the curing time period), or older finishes that have been previously cleaned and polished. #26 offers excellent gloss and clarity and will darken medium to dark colors for deep dark reflections.

NXT Tech Wax is Meguiar’s newest wax, or paint protectant. NXT is created using all brand new technology. It is NOT a reworked version of any Meguiar’s product no matter what anyone else may claim. NXT Tech Wax offers excellent gloss and high shine, often leaving your paint looking wet if you have done the correct prep work. It also has the ability to eliminate very fine scratches as swirls. My best results come from both applying the NXT Tech wax using the W-8006 yellow foam polishing pad on the PC on about the 4.0 to 4.5 setting and then removing it using Meguiar’s Ultimate Bonnet, a microfiber polishing bonnet designed to be used over the foam pad on a PC.

All of the above waxes work excellent at creating a high gloss, high shine finish, each offers it’s own unique look which will vary from user to user. That is, because everyone is different, and every finish is different, some people will prefer one wax over the other based on personal preference and how their cars looks after the final wipe-off.

I’m not sure if it matters but its for a white car. I’m looking forward you your guide cause lets face it, although it says professional on the bottle...we all like to try something more interesting than the 3 step process!

Thanks again.
                        As far as the wax selection goes… I would opt for the NXT Tech Wax first.

Hope this helps…

Mike
                        Mike Phillips
                        760-515-0444
                        showcargarage@gmail.com

Comment

I found this abrasive scale on autopia. Its also great info. The higher the number, the higher the abrasive.

#85 Diamond Cut = 10
                          #84 Compound Power Cleaner = 9
                          #4 Heavy-cut Cleaner = 8
                          #1 Medium-cut Cleaner = 7
                          #83 DACP = 6
                          #2 Fine-cut Cleaner = 5
                          #80 Speed Glaze = 4
                          #82 Swirl Free Polish = 3
                          #9 Swirl Remover 2.0 = 3
                          #3 Machine Glaze = 1

We all know the type of pad you use will make it even more abrasive or less!

Comment

I found this abrasive scale on autopia. Its also great info. The higher the number, the higher the abrasive.

#85 Diamond Cut = 10
                            #84 Compound Power Cleaner = 9
                            #4 Heavy-cut Cleaner = 8
                            #1 Medium-cut Cleaner = 7
                            #83 DACP = 6
                            #2 Fine-cut Cleaner = 5
                            #80 Speed Glaze = 4
                            #82 Swirl Free Polish = 3
                            #9 Swirl Remover 2.0 = 3
                            #3 Machine Glaze = 1

We all know the type of pad you use will make it even more abrasive or less!
                            Not everybody knows this. When I post about this type of thing I always get e-mails questioning me futher on application material.

The higher the number, the higher the abrasive.
                            That's wrong. Look at #3 Machine Glaze, the part number for this product is greater than both #1 Medium Cut Cleaner and #2 Fine Cut Cleaner, but both of these paint cleaners, (#1 and #2), are more aggressive than number #3 Machine Glaze.

The part numbers are just reference numbers. Please don't associate them with how aggressive the product is.

If you look back at what I wrote before, I did say

I started working on what I called, The definitive list of Meguiar’s Compounds, Paint Cleaners, and Cleaner/Polishes, but stopped working on it because first, I have many other responsibilities that come first, and second, it became difficult to organize because there are so many variables that affect how aggressive a product is. For example: Your application material, wool pad, foam pad, terry cloth towel, and your application method, hand, rotary buffer, dual-action polisher, orbital buffer.

Other factors that affect results are paint type and paint hardness. So it’s not as simple as making a list of Meguiar’s products and putting them in a specific order. If it were that simple, it would be finished. That said, I will revisit the The definitive list of Meguiar’s Compounds, Paint Cleaners, and Cleaner/Polishes, and see what I can do.
                            So be careful who's information you put your trust into.

Mike
                            Mike Phillips
                            760-515-0444
                            showcargarage@gmail.com

Comment

Mike, I was reffering not to the part number but the number after the = sign

These are simply the abrasive levels according to what Meguiars puts on the bottles.

Comment

Working...
                              X
                              gtag('config', 'UA-161993-8');