• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Wheel Cleaning

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Wheel Cleaning

Basically my question is for a product/procedure recommendation. When I clean the wheels on my truck, I use the older (pre-2006) version of the All-wheel cleaner. My wheels are factory clear coated aluminum. After I clean and dry the wheels, I'm left with a slight haze on the clearcoat. I normally use a "clear coat wheel polish" from another mfr (shall remain nameless), but that product is not made anymore. I always get the best results with some kind of polish. I've searched all around the website, but haven't found a product that has a similar function. Any help is greatly appreciated.
    "...lose that nickel plated sissy pistol and get yourself a Glock."

How long are you letting the wheel cleaner dwell on the wheels?

How often are you cleaning the wheels in the truck?

Have you tried cleaning the wheels woth just car wash and a brush?

Have you tried using a wax to protect the wheels and make them easier to clean using car wash and a brush?

Which all wheel cleaner are using, Hot rims or Gold class?

A question for the experts, may Hot rims or Gold class all wheel cleaner be diluted?

Eric
    Talk it over folks. Communication is the key.

--Jerry Springer

Comment

Teak mentioned waxing and that is a great idea, here is a link to my wheel care procedure: Wheels ~ the extra step..... The steps in the link are once a year then I maintain the look with a Quick Detailer all work very well. It may not be necessary to do all the steps I did but it will give you another option. I don't use wheel cleaners on these wheels, I prefer a carwash soap/water combo. I have use Gold Class Instant Wheel Cleaner on another set of wheels and not had the problem you are having.

and to MOL!
      Brandon

2007 Black Chevy Avalanche

My Albums: Avalanche
      Meguiars Online Acronyms - Meguiars Product List....

Comment

Eric,

I'm not letting the cleaner sit on there too long. Basically, I spray the wheels and let the product sit for about 60 seconds to take off brake dust. I then come behind with a brush to get anything that didn't come off with the cleaner, then rinse well to make sure no cleaner stays on it. I don't clean them as often as I should. I drive the truck mostly during bad weather, so its usually in the slop. Keep in mind, its a 4x4 too. Probably once every 2 months or so. I have tried just soap and water, but still have spotting from what I remember (Its been a while). I haven't tried waxing because of the clear coat. Finally, I use the hot rims (purple bottle) because its clear coat safe. The other Meguiar's products in the store (this could be local availability too) seemed more geared for un coated chrome or allloy wheels. I'm not fond of the clear coat, but I do like the way the wheels look when I use the polish on them. My miata has just plain 'ol alloys on it, and I never have this problem. Then again, I've used scotch-brite on those wheels before and they look brand new. I would possibly look at diluting the cleaner, but I chose it after trying several other products and this one seems to remove brake dust the best of all and leave the least amount of residue. Armor-all and F2001 were the worst of them. Even drying with microfiber won't remove the the spotting/haze.

I appreciate the ideas though.

gb387,
        Those wheels came out looking great. I need to go through that on my miata (roatation soon approaching). I've tried cleaning the backs of wheels before with not much success, but I'll give your process a try when I get a chance. I wouldn't go that far on the truck simply because it wouldn't last that long. The miata gets driven only when its dry now thanks to a hole in the top.

Thanks for the input.

Comment

Once you get the wheels cleaned, polished, and waxed/sealed you can just clean them with a semi-strong mix of carwash shampoo. I never use a wheel cleaner except for the annual "big cleanup" when I switch over to the winter wheels/tires. The ones I run in the winter hardly need any real cleanup when I take them off in the spring, 3-4 months of use doesn't do much to them (and our winters are usually pretty tough). Brake dust and other stuff just washes right off a healthy LSP
          Practical Perfectionist

Comment

Hey,

I have never heard of All Wheel Cleaner ever leaving a haze. I believe what you are seeing is that the cleaner probably removed the polish you had on the wheels, leaving you will a clean but somewhat flat looking surface. That is quite normal when using a wheel cleaner.

Clear coat on wheels is not much different from the BC/CC on cars. In fact, you can treat it the same way. I suggest after using the All Wheel Cleaner, to use a Sealant like Meguiar's #20 Polymer Sealant, or #21 Synthetic Sealant or NXT Tech Wax. Any of these will give you a tremendous gloss and long lasting protection. Keep in mind, after the sealant has been applied and removed, you should use soap and water for cleaning the wheels. Wheel cleaners will usually remove the wax or sealant regardless of brand, leaving you with the same look you now have.

Clear coated wheels are quite the norm from OEM manufacturers and to be quite honest, they usually look great for a long time! I too have a truck that gets well used for fishing etc.. and the wheels still look fantastic!! And...never use a Scotch Brite on Clear Coated wheels as this could severly damage the CC.

Here is my truck:

And it too gets used for its intended purpose:

Cheers!

Tim
            Tim Lingor's Product Reviews

Comment

Originally posted by 2hotford
              Clear coated wheels are quite the norm from OEM manufacturers and to be quite honest, they usually look great for a long time!
              Ain't *that* the truth! Uncoated aluminum (let alone magnesium) wheels are an incredible pain to keep nice and usually end up pitted and awful looking. Clearcoated wheels are great.
              Practical Perfectionist

Comment

I really appreciate everyone's input. It really opened my eyes about clearcoated wheels. I'll definitely use clay bar and wax (forgot the #, but its the pure carnuba yellow) on my clearcoated wheels next go around, especially if it makes future cleaning easier.

BTW 2hotford, I just recently found out how nice an ohio/lower michigan winter can be. I had to take a business trip up there and decided to drive. I had never drove in that much snow before, so it was a steep learning curve. I drove up early on a sunday morning before the plows had a chance to run.

Comment

Hey,

Oh....I know snow alright...

Tim
                  Tim Lingor's Product Reviews

Comment

Working...
                  X
                  gtag('config', 'UA-161993-8');