• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Removing oxidation on polished aluminum?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Removing oxidation on polished aluminum?

My new (to me) 2002 Audi S6 wagon has polished aluminum exterior mirror covers and aluminum factory roof rails. All appear to be oxidized--there's a mottled white look over the aluminum.

I tried a little bit of 3M rubbing compound by hand with a terry towel on one mirror, and it seemed a bit better, but not much. I'm told that the northern California Meguiars rep in San Ramon (Jeff Moore(?)) has a black S6 and will know what I'm talking about. I can post photos if that's helpful.

Thoughts or advice on bringing back the polished look? NXT Metal Polysh? Rotary buffer or by hand? Wax afterwards?

Thanks!

--Scott
    Burlingame, CA

Hi Scott,

Welcome to Meguiar's Online!

If the aluminum is uncoated, or it is not anodized, then the NXT Metal Polish will remove the oxidation restore brilliance to the aluminum.

From the way you describe it, it sounds as though it's anodized, if this is the case then in order to polish the aluminum it will first have to be de-anodized.

When you applied the 3M compound did your cloth turn black or a very dirty, dark grayish color?

Jeff Brown is Field Rep. for Meguiar's and covers Northern California.
    Mike Phillips
    760-515-0444
    showcargarage@gmail.com

"Find something you like and use it often"

Comment

Removing oxidation on polished aluminum

I'm not sure how I'd tell anodized from non-anodized, but the cloth did not turn black--it stayed that light brown 3M color. Can we contact Jeff to ask him about his care for the polished aluminum on his S6?

Thanks!

--Scott

Comment

Re: Removing oxidation on polished aluminum

Originally posted by hollyane
        I'm not sure how I'd tell anodized from non-anodized, but the cloth did not turn black--it stayed that light brown 3M color. Can we contact Jeff to ask him about his care for the polished aluminum on his S6?

Thanks!

--Scott

The fact that the cloth did not turn black is a pretty good indicator that the aluminum is either coated and more than likely anodized, thus the reason I asked the question.

I'll forward the link to this thread to Jeff and ask him to chime in. If the aluminum is in fact anodized, then the only way to polish the aluminum to a high shine is to first have all of the aluminum de-anodized, this means dipping the aluminum into a specific acid bath process.

I know as I've had anodized parts de-anodized and re-anodized in the past on drag boats.
        Mike Phillips
        760-515-0444
        showcargarage@gmail.com

"Find something you like and use it often"

Comment

Any response from Jeff?

Thanks!

Comment

Audi S6 Trim

Sorry for the delayed response. To answer your question, yes the aluminim is anodized. I have seen many Audi's who have stained trim work. This is typically due to car washes that utilize high alkaline or acidic chemicals to do the cleaning. I have personally found that using NXT All Metal Polysh for restoration and maintaining with Mirror Glaze All Metal Polish for maintenance works well. Unforutnately, once the trim has been stained severely, there is not much that can be done. I do know there are several paint mfg's like PPG who offer a paint finish that replicates the appearance of the anodization. You may want to contact one of your local paint stores like Coach Color in San Mateo or Finishmaster in San Carlos. Good luck and great to hear of another S6 on the road.

Jeff Brown
            Senior Area Sales Manager
            Meguiar's Inc.
            Do it right the first time

Comment

I'll give it a try. Thanks!

Comment

Working...
              X
              gtag('config', 'UA-161993-8');