• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

1959 Cadillac with an in-dash Television!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1959 Cadillac with an in-dash Television!

1959 Cadillac with an in-dash Television!

Here are the latest photos and results from the 2006 Barrett-Jackson Auction in Scottsdale, Arizona!

Check out this 1959 Cadillac Convertible with an in-dash Television!

One of the unique things about the horn ring on the 1959 Cadillac is that it is often missing because it breaks off where the ring forms to the hub. On eBay a horn ring in good to excellent condition commands $500.00 and up!

Is that cool or what? An in-dash Television!

Anyone looking for a unique Avatar?

Most people that know me know I like 1959 and 1960 Cadillacs, what's unique about this Cadillac is it has the fins and rear-end design including the bumpers from the 1960 Cadillac. It was listed as a 1959 Cadillac and everything besides the rear section looked to be a 1959 Cadillac, but the fins and bumper are definitely the design used for the 1960 Cadillac.

If you like fins, check out this website...

http://www.classicroad.com/Finville/
    Mike Phillips
    760-515-0444
    showcargarage@gmail.com

"Find something you like and use it often"

Now that is very unique!! Makes you wonder how they even managed to pull that off with the television back in those days unless the owner added that in our time as a vintage looking feature. That shot of the fin woud also be a cool avatar!!

Trent W.

------------------------------

2002 Ford F-150 SuperCrew FX4
    2002 Chevrolet Tahoe LS

Comment

So Mike, was it a '59 or a '60? Was the TV really installed in the factory? Or is this some sort of GM concept/show car? Which would explain some the mix of features and the TV.

Comment

Originally posted by Setec Astronomy
        So Mike, was it a '59 or a '60?
        Hi Mike,

The car was listed as a 1959 Cadillac, and except for the rear fins and rear bumper the rest of the car had the panels of a 1959 Cadillac. There was a few special Cadillacs built using the 1960 style fins, but the rest of the body also looked quite different than the 59 body style. So I don't have the complete story behind this car.

Was the TV really installed in the factory? Or is this some sort of GM concept/show car? Which would explain some the mix of features and the TV.
        The TV was a later/custom addition to the car as mentioned over the speaker during the auction, that's about all I know about it. One thing for sure however it looks cool and it would have been a really cool feature in 1959 to have a in-dash TV.

I have a couple of old Sci-Fi movies from the 1950's and I know in at least one of them it shows a young lady reporter making a a phone call from her 50's era car and the phone looks like a wall mount unit simply used for the shot. It's pretty comical to watch.
        Mike Phillips
        760-515-0444
        showcargarage@gmail.com

"Find something you like and use it often"

Comment

Originally posted by Mike Phillips

I have a couple of old Sci-Fi movies from the 1950's and I know in at least one of them it shows a young lady reporter making a a phone call from her 50's era car and the phone looks like a wall mount unit simply used for the shot. It's pretty comical to watch.
          That is pretty funny because if anyone watches the old Dukes of Hazzard from time to time you will see them using car phones as well but like you said Mike they are those old huge corded phones like you would find in your kitchen or familyroom back in the day before cordless phones...LOL
          Trent W.

------------------------------

2002 Ford F-150 SuperCrew FX4
          2002 Chevrolet Tahoe LS

Comment

A car similar to this one was for sale on Ebay last year. I say similar only because I don't KNOW that it's the same one.

I've also read a magazine article about that same vehicle. Now I wish I could remember the name of the design engineer at General Motors who worked on and later owned the car in question.

The vehicle was a 1959, but had the '60 accents you show in these photos. It was a red convertible...the details fit. I'm going to do some research to find out if this is the same one. If I can get the details, I'll post.
            See the big picture, enjoy the details

Comment

Oh boy-look at 'em swirls on the hood!! ---- >
              Freedom prospers when Christianity is vibrant and the rule of law under God is acknowledged

Comment

Originally posted by Superior Shine
                Oh boy-look at 'em swirls on the hood!!
                Now theres a great MOL response, you should have been looking at the horn ring and the in-dash TV, but no, your looking at the little of of paint visible...
                Arizona Corvette Enthusiasts
                08 Atomic Orange Metallic C6 LS3 Z51 4LT
                98 Torch Red Convertible * SOLD
                82 Collector Edition * SOLD

Comment

Originally posted by Snowman
                  That is pretty funny because if anyone watches the old Dukes of Hazzard from time to time you will see them using car phones as well but like you said Mike they are those old huge corded phones like you would find in your kitchen or familyroom back in the day before cordless phones...LOL
                  the old car phone in my dad's work truck looked exactly like that, back in '77 or so. just like a desktop princess phone.
                  Doug

Comment

Working...
                  X
                  gtag('config', 'UA-161993-8');