• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Dedicated thread just for questions about so-called paint protection plans/products

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

i would say your right on that mike..............

Comment

Re: Special forum just for questions about so-called paint protection plans and products

What about "Auto Butler" protectant? The dealer I bought my car from treated it before I left, but I know for a fact that it won't last forever. They said I would need to come in every six months to have it recoated to keep it effective. I told them no thanks, I use Meguiar's products on my baby and that's it. They had the nerve to put that damn sticker on the inside of my window. If that stuff is so great like they claim it is, how come my front bumper is going to need repainting due to the insect etching from the previous owner? They thought I was stupid enough to sign up for their treatment plan, but caught it before I signed the papers. They gave me a freebe treatment before I left, but I went home and rewashed my car and put on some DC 1, 2, and 3 to give it some real protection.
      2016 Focus ST

Comment

Re: Special forum just for questions about so-called paint protection plans and products

In conclusion...if it does not say Meguiar's on the bottle then it isn't worth your time and money.
        2015 Fiat 500 Abarth.
        2011 Nissan Sentra SE-R Spec-V using AMSOIL synthetics. Best 1/4 mile: 14.959 (sold)

Comment

Paint protection plans came about because the "market wanted them."

A paint sealant is somewhat different than a wax, not really all that much different as protection products go, but different.

If you want an analytical discussion of the difference between waxes and paint sealants you might want to read the article I just submitted to www.mobileworks.com on the subject.

To briefly explain. The best wax, be it natural or synthetic wax uses only what are called standard silicone fluids and at best they will last from 30 to 60 days depending on climatic conditions in the area and how the car is cared for.

Paint sealants, among other things, uses amino-functional silicones which form a cross-linking molecule when they air dry so they bond to the finish of the paint and last, NOT FOREVER, but maybe, under the best conditions up to 6 months. Under the typically normal conditions maybe only 3 to 4 months.

As Mike points out a dealer protection plan is nothing but a wax job and then insurance which is what the consumer wants. Someone to tell them they do not have to wax their car and it will be OK>

Most of these plans require a reapplication within 6 months. What does that say?

The thing that is wrong with these dealer sold protection plans is that they really do not tell the consmer the whole truth. They make them believe things that are not true.

When I sold guaranteed paint sealants all I guaranteed was that the they will have shine and protection for one year, but they have to come in for a FREE reapplication in 6 months. We sold it for $129.95.

Shine is subjective. The protection was determined by their subjective determination that the water was beading on the finish. Actually beading water is not a determinant of protection. Oil will make water bead. The ingredients in a paint sealant that provide protection, in fact, do not make water bead.

Key is truth in selling.

Bud Abraham
          DETAIL PLUS SYSTEMS

Comment

Re: Special forum just for questions about so-called paint protection plans and produ

Originally posted by Mike Phillips View Post
            There seems to be enough companies in the world continually trying to sell innocent people some type of paint protectant, or paint protection plan that typically costs lots of money and offers nothing more than what the average person can already do for themselves using products available off the shelf or over the Internet without the exuberant costs.

So to warehouse all of these questions about all of these products that continue to spring-up around the world, we have created a special forum just for them.

As I find older questions already posted about products like these, or if any of you find them, send me the link to the forum thread and I'll move it into here as a clearing house for answers on this topic.

Thanks!
            Where is this forum I was just looking for it? Cant seem to find it.
            Brandon

2007 Black Chevy Avalanche

My Albums: Avalanche
            Meguiars Online Acronyms - Meguiars Product List....

Comment

Re: Special forum just for questions about so-called paint protection plans and proud

are so Manny waxes
              i remeber a few what do you think or personal opnion on
              zaino
              mothers
              zymnol and dupont ordu pont wax ?
              alberto gorin
              known as gorin002

Comment

Re: Special forum just for questions about so-called paint protection plans and produ

Originally posted by buda View Post
                Paint protection plans came about because the "market wanted them."

A paint sealant is somewhat different than a wax, not really all that much different as protection products go, but different.

If you want an analytical discussion of the difference between waxes and paint sealants you might want to read the article I just submitted to www.mobileworks.com on the subject.

To briefly explain. The best wax, be it natural or synthetic wax uses only what are called standard silicone fluids and at best they will last from 30 to 60 days depending on climatic conditions in the area and how the car is cared for.

Paint sealants, among other things, uses amino-functional silicones which form a cross-linking molecule when they air dry so they bond to the finish of the paint and last, NOT FOREVER, but maybe, under the best conditions up to 6 months. Under the typically normal conditions maybe only 3 to 4 months.

As Mike points out a dealer protection plan is nothing but a wax job and then insurance which is what the consumer wants. Someone to tell them they do not have to wax their car and it will be OK>

Most of these plans require a reapplication within 6 months. What does that say?

The thing that is wrong with these dealer sold protection plans is that they really do not tell the consmer the whole truth. They make them believe things that are not true.

When I sold guaranteed paint sealants all I guaranteed was that the they will have shine and protection for one year, but they have to come in for a FREE reapplication in 6 months. We sold it for $129.95.

Shine is subjective. The protection was determined by their subjective determination that the water was beading on the finish. Actually beading water is not a determinant of protection. Oil will make water bead. The ingredients in a paint sealant that provide protection, in fact, do not make water bead.

Key is truth in selling.

Bud Abraham
                DETAIL PLUS SYSTEMS
                1. How can you generalize all of the waxes having x ingredients and all of the sealants having y ingredients?

2. Just because something doesn't have amino functional polymers also doesn't mean that it won't have crosslinked molecules either. In amino functional polymers (and please, mr. chemist if you're out there help me out because I haven't taken chem in a year or so), the polymer is the monomer and the amino is the crosslinking molecule. The aminos fit uniquely into the monomer and when 'bonded' are much stronger than a monomer alone.

This is just one case of this. Meguiar's would most likely use other crosslinking molecules than aminos for various reasons, but to state "at best" performance without proof is pretty pathetic.

Anyway, before I get personal and actually crack out my chemistry book I'll refer you to a Meguiar's 5-step process to protection and that I will guarantee for YEARS!
                2015 Fiat 500 Abarth.
                2011 Nissan Sentra SE-R Spec-V using AMSOIL synthetics. Best 1/4 mile: 14.959 (sold)

Comment

Well, if you think that a paint sealant, any paint sealant or paint finishing process will last for 5 years, I have a bridge in Brooklyn that I would like to sell you.

Thanks

Bud Abraham

Comment

Are you misunderstanding what I wrote?

When the Meguiar's 5-step process is completed whenever required, in my case, at least twice a month will make paint last for years. I would be willing to guarantee that any time of the day. We have a 1997 Nissan Quest with pathetic Ford paint and it isn't peeling, cracking or failing in ANY sort of way. That is in the harsh winters of Canada in conjunction with beautiful road salt.

Like I said, I'll guarantee paint by using this process for YEARS!
                    2015 Fiat 500 Abarth.

Comment

I think there is just some simple miscommunication, or understanding going on here, that's all. Sometimes the typed word cannot convey fully the intentions of the writer's thoughts and even when they do, sometimes they are not understood as the writer intended. Happens to me all the time.

Sometimes it's a good idea to...

Push away from the keyboard

Leaving for the open class tonight at Meguiar's... everyone be cool.
                      Mike Phillips
                      760-515-0444
                      showcargarage@gmail.com

"Find something you like and use it often"

Comment

here in maine the dealerships use a product called ressistall.. and i have to say the warrenty they provide is very impressive. but the product is only so so.
                        custom mobile detailing located in central maine

Comment

Originally posted by cmd View Post
                          here in maine the dealerships use a product called ressistall.. and i have to say the warrenty they provide is very impressive. but the product is only so so.
                          Mosca said the dealership he works for uses this... have't seen him posting for a while? Let's hope his health is doing good...
                          Mike Phillips
                          760-515-0444
                          showcargarage@gmail.com

"Find something you like and use it often"

Comment

Has any one ever heard of "Tropic Shield"? There was a panflet of it on my desk this morning.

Edit* I just did a google search and found the web site. (tropic-shield.com) at the bottom of that page there is a link to the brochure left on my desk. The people I work with seem to be having this done to thier car despite my best efforts to educate them on proper car care. Can any one help me out with this?
                            Last edited by MaximusZTS; Dec 15, 2006, 10:59 AM. Reason: added web site info
                            You left out licking the water off. Oh, wait a minute, that's my cat, not my car. Uh, I mean my cat licks himself dry. I don't lick my cat dry. Or my car. -PC.

Comment

one of the claims is "Conventional sealants & waxes begin to melt when surface temperatures reach 75 F. Your vehicles surface can exceed 150 F in the sun!"
                              You left out licking the water off. Oh, wait a minute, that's my cat, not my car. Uh, I mean my cat licks himself dry. I don't lick my cat dry. Or my car. -PC.

Comment

Isn't that why you wax in the shade and only when the surface is cool to the touch?
                                2015 Fiat 500 Abarth.

Comment

Working...
                                X
                                gtag('config', 'UA-161993-8');