Dedicated thread just for questions about so-called paint protection plans/products - Page 2
Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 12345678910 LastLast

Thread: Dedicated thread just for questions about so-called paint protection plans/products

No different from any of the others, except that they add the "you know what" word to the hype.

No finish ever needs to be detailed. It will look awful and eventually fall off the car if you don't, but that doesn't mean that it needs it.

Not that it's ever a good idea to make your boss look stupid but if he ever wanted to discuss the issue rationally ask him how he knows that.

The most common answer is "that's what the salesman said." Never mind that everybody in the universe knows that car salesman will say anything to "close the deal" and are absolutely notorious for being either completely clueless or liars but for some strange reason people believe this one. The dealer may well have made more money selling this "treatment" than they did on the entire rest of the car because it costs them almost nothing and they sell it for big bucks.

The reality is that there's usually a small written brochure that spells out the real claims (which are generally minimal) and either gets included in the huge stack of car buying paperwork or gets lost altogether and nobody ever reads anyway. If he manages to actually dig it out and read it he can discuss just what he was promised for real.

PC.

Registered Member
    I'll tell you Mike. It makes me laugh when the dealers try to sell these coating jobs for the ammount they are charging. They know that not to many people are going to follow the instructions to the letter to keep the warrenty on the paint is effect. Just look at how many people are in the MEG. forums compaired to the number of vehicles on the road. If everyone was as CAR CRAZY. as the people here ALL of the care product forums around couldn't keep up. My dad said it righht a londg time ago "NOTHING LASTS FOREVER"

ED

9C1 MAN

carbright

carbright is a so called paint sealent that all the dealers both old and new try to push on you at 600.00 to 800.00 a pop no thanks il stick to meguiars; a proven winner............................

Let's not forget a very important fact about these new car dealer added guaranteed paint protectant systems.

Like Mike pointed out, modern finishes are very durable. It's no problem to warrant paint against "failure" forever to the orinial owner when:

Most cars are leased.

The average length of ownship is probably equal to the length of the loan.

Registered Member

Re: carbright

Originally posted by 9C1 MAN
    carbright is a so called paint sealent that all the dealers both old and new try to push on you at 600.00 to 800.00 a pop no thanks il stick to meguiars; a proven winner............................
    Carbright is a company that sells dealers product. They probably have a sealant, but Carbright alone is the company.
    Watch your pennies and your dollars will take care of themself.

9C1 MAN
    i would say your right on that mike..............

Re: Special forum just for questions about so-called paint protection plans and products

What about "Auto Butler" protectant? The dealer I bought my car from treated it before I left, but I know for a fact that it won't last forever. They said I would need to come in every six months to have it recoated to keep it effective. I told them no thanks, I use Meguiar's products on my baby and that's it. They had the nerve to put that damn sticker on the inside of my window. If that stuff is so great like they claim it is, how come my front bumper is going to need repainting due to the insect etching from the previous owner? They thought I was stupid enough to sign up for their treatment plan, but caught it before I signed the papers. They gave me a freebe treatment before I left, but I went home and rewashed my car and put on some DC 1, 2, and 3 to give it some real protection.
    2016 Focus ST

Re: Special forum just for questions about so-called paint protection plans and products

In conclusion...if it does not say Meguiar's on the bottle then it isn't worth your time and money.
    2015 Fiat 500 Abarth.
    2011 Nissan Sentra SE-R Spec-V using AMSOIL synthetics. Best 1/4 mile: 14.959 (sold)

Registered Member

Paint protection plans came about because the "market wanted them."

A paint sealant is somewhat different than a wax, not really all that much different as protection products go, but different.

If you want an analytical discussion of the difference between waxes and paint sealants you might want to read the article I just submitted to www.mobileworks.com on the subject.

To briefly explain. The best wax, be it natural or synthetic wax uses only what are called standard silicone fluids and at best they will last from 30 to 60 days depending on climatic conditions in the area and how the car is cared for.

Paint sealants, among other things, uses amino-functional silicones which form a cross-linking molecule when they air dry so they bond to the finish of the paint and last, NOT FOREVER, but maybe, under the best conditions up to 6 months. Under the typically normal conditions maybe only 3 to 4 months.

As Mike points out a dealer protection plan is nothing but a wax job and then insurance which is what the consumer wants. Someone to tell them they do not have to wax their car and it will be OK>

Most of these plans require a reapplication within 6 months. What does that say?

The thing that is wrong with these dealer sold protection plans is that they really do not tell the consmer the whole truth. They make them believe things that are not true.

When I sold guaranteed paint sealants all I guaranteed was that the they will have shine and protection for one year, but they have to come in for a FREE reapplication in 6 months. We sold it for $129.95.

Shine is subjective. The protection was determined by their subjective determination that the water was beading on the finish. Actually beading water is not a determinant of protection. Oil will make water bead. The ingredients in a paint sealant that provide protection, in fact, do not make water bead.

Key is truth in selling.

Bud Abraham
    DETAIL PLUS SYSTEMS

Re: Special forum just for questions about so-called paint protection plans and produ

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Phillips View Post
    There seems to be enough companies in the world continually trying to sell innocent people some type of paint protectant, or paint protection plan that typically costs lots of money and offers nothing more than what the average person can already do for themselves using products available off the shelf or over the Internet without the exuberant costs.

So to warehouse all of these questions about all of these products that continue to spring-up around the world, we have created a special forum just for them.

As I find older questions already posted about products like these, or if any of you find them, send me the link to the forum thread and I'll move it into here as a clearing house for answers on this topic.

Thanks!
    Where is this forum I was just looking for it? Cant seem to find it.
    Brandon

2007 Black Chevy Avalanche

My Albums: Avalanche
    Meguiars Online Acronyms - Meguiars Product List....

Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 12345678910 LastLast

Thread Information