• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Dedicated thread just for questions about so-called paint protection plans/products

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Special forum just for questions about so-called paint protection plans and produ

In my area a alot of dealers use Simoniz System 5 and charge $500 to have it done. its a simple 20 minute wax job the dealer does. Alls it is is essentially (and most of these protectors) are ****** waxes that claim you need to let it sit for 24 hours with no water on it in order for it to work properly. I've used it before since I worked for Acura and got the bottles for free. It's kinda a gimmick if you ask me and just another form of warranty sales the dealer is offering. Just like rim and tire protection, extended warranties etc. etc.

Just stick with Meguiar's stuff on a regular basis and you will be fine.

Comment

Re: Special forum just for questions about so-called paint protection plans and produ

I hardly ever see dealers around here pushing the paint protection scam anymore. Maybe people are catching on to it?

The bad news is that they are replacing it with other scams like engraving all the glass on the vehicle!

Several years ago I actually got a dealer body shop manager to admit to me that those paint protection scams are just glorified car wax! He then said "you didn't hear that from me!" He was worried he would be in big trouble if someone found out that he said that.

RamAirV1
      2015 Dodge Charger R/T Scat Pack 392Granite Crystal
      2006 GTO Impulse Blue

Comment

Originally posted by Whelan View Post
        In my area a alot of dealers use Simoniz System 5 and charge $500 to have it done. its a simple 20 minute wax job the dealer does. Alls it is is essentially (and most of these protectors) are ****** waxes that claim you need to let it sit for 24 hours with no water on it in order for it to work properly. I've used it before since I worked for Acura and got the bottles for free. It's kinda a gimmick if you ask me and just another form of warranty sales the dealer is offering. Just like rim and tire protection, extended warranties etc. etc.

Just stick with Meguiar's stuff on a regular basis and you will be fine.
        at mi Meguiar's dealer ship was a buisnes a ****** coat and he saw swirls
        he done second time.do not dollars in euros was 400
        and than he took bottle of Meguiar's was all gone
        alberto gorin
        known as gorin002

Comment

Yep, it is all a scam. The Jeep dealership wanted to charge my gf $1,200 for VIN etching on the windows, she was like umm no. So when she got the car, they actually had picked it up from another dealer. 2005 Liberty Renegade in Silver. So we took it home and realized it had the etching. After checking it turns out the dealer they got it from does it automatically to all cars on the lot, so we got it for free! lol.

Funny too cause at Acura it was only $159 for the etching.

Comment

You can get a stencil & acid etching kit for a few bucks. It's probably right next to the super sealent (Nxt) on the self at Walmart.

Comment

Paint Sealants are nothing but an evolution of wax technology. In short, in my experience they are nothing but an improved wax. Most good sealants contain a bit of wax in them.

The key difference between a wax and a paint sealant is the use of Amino-Functional Silicones used in sealants vs the standard silicone fluids used in waxes.

These silicones have a cross-linking molecule when cured more or less bond to the finish of the car. That is not to say they stay there for a year or more as some claim. Of course, the small print says you have to renew within 4 to 6 months and give you a small vile of product to apply.

But this become a gold mine for chemical companies and also smart marketers. Who have put together these protection package deals for car dealers with a fancy warranty sheet. Everyone makes money, the chemical company, the marketer, the dealer.

The consumer is getting what they want, "insurance." That is, comfort that their car will shine and be protected, and it comes from a reputable auto dealer. (Wait is that an oxymoron?).

Not all sealants are the same. Some have more shine than others. Some last longer than others. Some are more resistent to corrosion than others.

Hard for one product to be tops in all catagories.

So the chemist formulates what the marketing dept wants to sell.

For example, in our comparative study of 25 popular waxes and sealants used by detailers in the USA and Canada the two products that were #1 and #2 in percentage increase of reflective gloss before and after application as measured by a Glossometer were #18 and #19 in resistence to salt water corrosion.

If anyone would like to see the report email me with your email address buda@detailplus.com

Regards, Merry Christmas and Happy New Year.

Bud Abraham

Comment

Originally posted by STG View Post
                You can get a stencil & acid etching kit for a few bucks. It's probably right next to the super sealent (Nxt) on the self at Walmart.
                lol, nice!
                2015 Fiat 500 Abarth.
                2011 Nissan Sentra SE-R Spec-V using AMSOIL synthetics. Best 1/4 mile: 14.959 (sold)

Comment

I Just Purchased A 2007 Solara Without The Toyo Guard. I Have Just Put Some Water In A Bucket And Was About To Start The Car's First, At Least, My First Wash Job. Ok....what's Next....do I Start With A Carnuba Wax Or Poly Wax, One Of The Nxt Products....etc. What Is The Best First Protection, Kinda Like That First Love, What's The Story About Gold Class Vs The Poly Waxes. Now This Is A Red Solara, Rag Top So You See, I Want To Keep This Beauty Beautiful Forever. Thanks Kind Online Expert About Detailing.

Comment

It would probably be best to just start a new thread in the Detailing 101 forum, and we can give you all the new car links there. We can keep all your questions and answers in one spot easily then.
                    2017 Subaru WRX Premium - WR Blue

Comment

i would suggest a 21 with a top coat of nxt wax
                      custom mobile detailing located in central maine

Comment

Originally posted by 1937 View Post
                        I Just Purchased A 2007 Solara Without The Toyo Guard. I Have Just Put Some Water In A Bucket And Was About To Start The Car's First, At Least, My First Wash Job. Ok....what's Next....do I Start With A Carnuba Wax Or Poly Wax, One Of The Nxt Products....etc. What Is The Best First Protection, Kinda Like That First Love, What's The Story About Gold Class Vs The Poly Waxes. Now This Is A Red Solara, Rag Top So You See, I Want To Keep This Beauty Beautiful Forever. Thanks Kind Online Expert About Detailing.
                        Like Murr1525 mentioned, your questions would be better posted here,

Detailing 101

Simply copy and paste your words and start a new thread in the above forum.

Then we'll answer your specific questions. Thank you!
                        Mike Phillips
                        760-515-0444
                        showcargarage@gmail.com

"Find something you like and use it often"

Comment

Originally posted by MaximusZTS View Post
                          I was talking to my boss about detailing his Excursion. he told me that it does not need to be detailed, EVER! he said he got some kind of ****** coating put on at the dealership when he bought it. And the stuff is suppose to last a life time. I told him that did not sound right and I would look into it for him.

Has anyone ever heard of this? Sounds to me like he got scammed.
                          It's not really a scam. It's like the extended warranty for that TV. Straight commision for the salesman. It's just paint sealant that they put on, and they warrenty the paint. Should he wax it? Hell yeah. Nothing wrong with double protection.

Comment

I know Black Top...geez, where did I see Black Top detailing....? St.Joseph right? With the Meguiar's banner? How's it going? I use to work with KGCCS, but Kyle wants to pay me 15/hr and charge the customer 45/hr so I said screw that.

I've never stopped by, but I've been too busy-I've always figured, hey, they SHOW OFF Meguiar's usage they can't be that bad
                            2015 Fiat 500 Abarth.
                            2011 Nissan Sentra SE-R Spec-V using AMSOIL synthetics. Best 1/4 mile: 14.959 (sold)

Comment

Hi All,

Wonder Meguiars W8006 Polishing Pad can be use on DA machine like PC 7424 that I currently had. I would like to use it on my PC7424.

Thanks
                              Nobody

Comment

Originally posted by nobody View Post
                                Hi All,

Wonder Meguiars W8006 Polishing Pad can be use on DA machine like PC 7424 that I currently had. I would like to use it on my PC7424.

Thanks
                                Nobody
                                Yes, you can use the W-8006 on an Porter Cable Dual Action Polisher.
                                Mike Phillips
                                760-515-0444
                                showcargarage@gmail.com

"Find something you like and use it often"

Comment

Working...
                                X
                                gtag('config', 'UA-161993-8');