Dedicated thread just for questions about so-called paint protection plans/products - Page 5
Page 5 of 10 FirstFirst 12345678910 LastLast

Thread: Dedicated thread just for questions about so-called paint protection plans/products

Registered Member Mike Phillips's Avatar

Re: Special forum just for questions about so-called paint protection plans and produ

Quote Originally Posted by 1937 View Post
    I Just Purchased A 2007 Solara Without The Toyo Guard. I Have Just Put Some Water In A Bucket And Was About To Start The Car's First, At Least, My First Wash Job. Ok....what's Next....do I Start With A Carnuba Wax Or Poly Wax, One Of The Nxt Products....etc. What Is The Best First Protection, Kinda Like That First Love, What's The Story About Gold Class Vs The Poly Waxes. Now This Is A Red Solara, Rag Top So You See, I Want To Keep This Beauty Beautiful Forever. Thanks Kind Online Expert About Detailing.
    Like Murr1525 mentioned, your questions would be better posted here,

Detailing 101

Simply copy and paste your words and start a new thread in the above forum.

Then we'll answer your specific questions. Thank you!
    Mike Phillips
    Office: 800-869-3011 x206
    Mike.Phillips@Autogeek.net
    "Find something you like and use it often"

Spyderstang

Re: Special forum just for questions about so-called paint protection plans and produ

Quote Originally Posted by MaximusZTS View Post
    I was talking to my boss about detailing his Excursion. he told me that it does not need to be detailed, EVER! he said he got some kind of ****** coating put on at the dealership when he bought it. And the stuff is suppose to last a life time. I told him that did not sound right and I would look into it for him.

Has anyone ever heard of this? Sounds to me like he got scammed.
    It's not really a scam. It's like the extended warranty for that TV. Straight commision for the salesman. It's just paint sealant that they put on, and they warrenty the paint. Should he wax it? Hell yeah. Nothing wrong with double protection.

I know Black Top...geez, where did I see Black Top detailing....? St.Joseph right? With the Meguiar's banner? How's it going? I use to work with KGCCS, but Kyle wants to pay me 15/hr and charge the customer 45/hr so I said screw that.

I've never stopped by, but I've been too busy-I've always figured, hey, they SHOW OFF Meguiar's usage they can't be that bad
    2015 Fiat 500 Abarth.
    2011 Nissan Sentra SE-R Spec-V using AMSOIL synthetics. Best 1/4 mile: 14.959 (sold)

Registered Member

Hi All,

Wonder Meguiars W8006 Polishing Pad can be use on DA machine like PC 7424 that I currently had. I would like to use it on my PC7424.

Thanks
    Nobody

Quote Originally Posted by nobody View Post
    Hi All,

Wonder Meguiars W8006 Polishing Pad can be use on DA machine like PC 7424 that I currently had. I would like to use it on my PC7424.

Thanks
    Nobody
    Yes, you can use the W-8006 on an Porter Cable Dual Action Polisher.
    Mike Phillips

Registered Member

question for Mike Phillips. Have u ever used or heard any reports about pps technolgy as a product. Take for instance a customer of mine just bought this suv and asked me to redo the interior that the dealer worked on, while i was at it i asked him if he would like it polished and waxed and then whamo i got the "i dont need it waxed for 5 years." So i asked him if they gave him anything tht he needs to use to maintain it, he then showed me a small white bottel (hotel shampoo bottle size). long storie short it had PPS writtin on it and thts it. So i went on the net and did a search there seems to be a pps as a style (if that makes sense) of protection eg. wax and sealent. And theres also a patent claim. Anyways i hope u can shed some light.

A guy called our shop today and claimed to have a $400.00 polyurethane wax on his hummer. He wanted to know if we had anything as good as or better than this special "wax" I think he got scammed, what do you think?
    Danny Jensen, Detail Lab

He got scammed, he just doesn't know it.

You'll have educate him, might be easiest if you can get him to bring his special wax and let you do a side by side demonstrtion with it on black paint.
    Mike Phillips

Registered Member

I'll be picking up my new 2007 Nissan Altima in Super Black next month and the dealership is pushing a Simoniz System 5 with ****** paint protection for $500.
    I firmly believe Meguiar's products will be more effective. I would like some guidance on the correct steps to give my new car the ultimate paint protection when I get it home. I'm wanting to do the necessary steps the minute I get the car home from the dealership. Please provide me a detailed protocol you would follow if you were bringing home a new car.
    Also, what is your opinion on invisible bras? Do you think they are a valuable asset to protect a car or is it hype?

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Phillips View Post
    Mosca said the dealership he works for uses this... have't seen him posting for a while? Let's hope his health is doing good...
    Hi Mike, Tom checking in here.

The dealership I used to work at used Resistall. The one I'm at now uses Simoniz System5. We sell it for $398, the warranty is for 5 years, and no reapplication is necessary.

Since my paycheck (and employment) depends on how many people choose Simoniz System5, everyone gets to hear about it. I simply present the product, say what it is, explain the warranty, and ask them what they prefer, the protection or the $6/mo in their pocket. About half the people say yes to the System5.

Nowhere in the literature does it say, or even imply, that the product will last 5 years; all they say is that if the vehicle gets acid rain spots, bird drop etchings, love bug etching, tree sap, etc, they will repair or repaint the affected panel. And in the actual contract they actually encourage regular washing and waxing! With SIMONIZ products, of course!

If you think about it, for the average person whose car is outside 24/7, it might not be so bad....

The thing is, people take the plan because they want their car to look nice, but without the work. They care, but they don't REALLY care; if they did, they'd wash and wax their car regularly. And since they don't REALLY care, when the car gets the marring they never think to file a claim. Because deep inside they really don't care. Think, the guy who contributes a lot to the collection plate on Sunday because he's such a SOB the rest of the week. You can spend the money but it won't compensate for the neglect.

Now, if they did file a claim, the warranty would work exactly as described; we'd buff, or color sand, or paint the panel as needed. And over a 5 year period, that could very well run over $400 on some cars, and not reach it on others. If a black Suburban parked under a flock of migrating geese it would be heck getting that top de-etched, working aroung the roof rack.

But nobody ever seems to file a claim. Because they care enough, at time of purchase, to spend the money, but they don't care enough after that.

EDIT: As far as appearance, I'd have to say that the stuff looks pretty good. It's fairly comparable to #21, not as wet as NXT but wetter than #20. It's nice and slick. I did a Corvette in the showroom with it, and a year later it's still slick. Of course the car hasn't been washed or waxed in that last year, just Cal Car Duster and a QD every now and then. Remember, the competition doesn't stand still (as well they shouldn't)!

Tom
    Last edited by Mosca; Mar 20th, 2007 at 05:55 PM.
    As the light changed from red to green to yellow and back to red again, I sat there thinking about life. Was it nothing more than a bunch of honking and yelling? Sometimes it seemed that way.

Page 5 of 10 FirstFirst 12345678910 LastLast

Thread Information