• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Dedicated thread just for questions about so-called paint protection plans/products

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: New guy on the block, but just started detailing

Originally posted by dcfox01 View Post
    I have a 2006 Vista Blue Mustang GT that I show in the "Driven Class" I keep the car as clean as possible for a car that has to stay outside all the time and is driven daily. Of course every once in a while I'll get a scratch or chip and I freak out. I've read so many different brands of scratch remover polish I think that's made. Can anyone out there please tell me what really work?
    Thanks for any and all help,
    David
    Hi David,if you could address this question to detailing 101 (new thread) i think you could receive better help.i am also new here.

Comment

Re: New guy on the block, but just started detailing

I have a 2006 Vista Blue Mustang GT that I show in the "Driven Class" I keep the car as clean as p[FONT=Times New Roman][SIZE=3]ossible for a car that has to stay outside all the time and is driven daily. Of course every once in a while I'll get a scratch or chip and I freak out. I've read so many different brands of scratch remover polish I think that's made. Can anyone out there please tell me what really work?

If you have a chip or true scratch in the paint you are not going to get them out with polish, colored waxes, etc. They will have to be professionally touched up or at the least, with the paint you can buy from the dealer with a small brush.

If you are talking about "scuffs" in the paint they can be removed with a buffer and some light or micro-fine compound. Or, maybe by hand.

As for the colored polishes on the market, I would not recommend them.

Regards
      Bud Abraham
      DETAIL PLUS SYSTEMS

Comment

Re: Special forum just for questions about so-called paint protection plans and proud

I know about all of the confusion here personally. My Mom has a 2003 Malibu that she refuses to let me touch due to this so-called paint protection that the dealership sells as a paint protection plan. I keep telling her that I can make it look like new again, but she won't budge. I have brought this up before. She will even tell me I have a scratch here or there, and I tell her I can take care of it. She says that will void my paint warranty. PAINT WARRANTY I SAY! UGH!!!!!

Andy
        101impala
        Keeping MOL family friendly! If you need help or have a question, don't hesitate to shoot me an email or PM. 101impala@gmail.com
        Andy M. Moderator

Comment

Re: Special forum just for questions about so-called paint protection plans and produ

Paint protection from the dealer just means they used a polymer paint sealant and not a carnuba wax.
          AeroCleanse, LLC
          Wisconsin's Elite Detailing Service
          www.aerocleanse.com

Comment

Re: Special forum just for questions about so-called paint protection plans and produ

Since this thread started a llllloooooonnnnggggg while back it's been said over and over.a paint protection plan looks good when you pick up your car but like every thing at the dealers it's HOW TO MAKE MORE off the customer. Nothing ever lasts forever. I stick with the only paint plan that works, The Meguiar's Plan.

Comment

No need to be critical of the dealer's paint protection plans. They use a good quality paint sealant and give insurance to the customer. The customer buys it because they want it, the dealer is not ripping them off. The plan is carefully explained and the custome buys it.

Detailers should be focusing on how to sell a similiar program to their customers. We used to have a New Car Protection Plan for $199.95 which included 1 year guaranteed paint sealant and the fabric protectant. Both had to be renewed for FREE in 6 months to keep guarantee. We only guaranteed the water to bead and paint to shine and the carpets & upholstery to not stain from spilled liquids. If the customer came back we renewed the sealant and cleaned up the stain and reapplied. A much better deal than $500 to $700 at the dealership.

Suggest you all consider this rather than criticizing a very successful program.

Use it to your advantage rather than complaining.

Just some well intentioned thoughts on the subject.

Bud Abraham

Comment

My dealership that sold me my Mustang GT kept trying to push the paint protectant to me...I told them it wasn't necessary. The finance guy who was working with me kept trying to push me on it, until I told him, "Look. Go out and look at the car I'm trading in. It's 5 years old, and it looks as good as the day I bought it, with the exception of a few rock chips in the hood. That's because I know how to detail cars. I don't need the paint protection; I'll take care of the car myself."

The finance manager stopped pushing it when I told him I used to spend 6-8 hours on the weekends claying the car, polishing, and then waxing it.

I think that these plans are good for the average joe who wants their car to look good for a while; most people will go, "Oh, I just need to wash the car off every once in a while so that it doesn't look dirty anymore." No wax, just run it through an automatic car wash, and be ready to go when it comes out of the air dryer at the end. I don't think these paint protection/sealants are all that great, but there are the people who want to have it rolled into the cost of the car, because they think it's going to be added protection, and then they never think about it again.

Comment

Car dealers have to have something to sell.In the 50s and 60s it was Blue Coral , Porcelinize, and Luster Seal. In the 40s it was Simonize, Dupont Spray Glaze, and seat covers.

Comment

Car dealers will always look for ways to make omney off of somebody. It is the nature of the beast look at the overhead they have. I mean they (car dealers) have a hundred cars sitting around. They have to pay for them some how and this is just another way. Here in the east that paint protection will not last with all the salt they dump on the roads.
                    Please look, but DO NOT TOUCH!!!

Comment

Originally posted by Larry A View Post
                      Car dealers have to have something to sell.In the 50s and 60s it was Blue Coral , Porcelinize, and Luster Seal. In the 40s it was Simonize, Dupont Spray Glaze, and seat covers.
                      In the shop where I worked (and contracted full-blown OCD), the speciality there was the Porcelinizing. I don't think I'm giving away any industrial secrets, but the process was basically a 5-step - ALMOST what is recommended here with the exception of the heavy-duty compounding the boss insisted on for every car that came in:

After washing:

1) 1,000 grit compound (leave on)
                      2) Meguiars Cleaner Wax (A12) over compound residue, remove
                      3) Meguiars Cleaner Wax, remove
                      4) Meguiars #7 (or #3) allow to sit for an hour
                      5) Meguiars #16 over #7 residue, 15 minute (minimum) dwell time, remove.

We would use the old cast-aluminum bodied buffers with the 12" terry bonnets...those things were HEAVY!

His process was sound, but his insistance on using compound started to make my hair stand on end after I started doing it more and it hit me...why SCOUR (hard on the finish-risks damage, creates work, etc), when all you need to do is buff?
                      Don
                      12/27/2015
                      "Darth Camaro"
                      2013 Camaro ... triple black
                      323 hp V6, 6 speed manual

Comment

Re: Dedicated thre just for questions about so-called paint protection plans and prod

Our local Honda dealer has been trying to push their "Hydrophilic (water loving)" paint protection program to their customers since 2005. Interesting concept, but I love working on my car every weekend so I always refuse the offer.

More details here: Honda's Hydrophilic Paint Protection

Comment

Re: Dedicated thre just for questions about so-called paint protection plans and prod

im sorry but from what i have seen honda paint stinks if you dont take care of it... i dont think the hydrophillic plan will go over very well...

EDITED FOR NON-FAMILY FRIENDLY CONTENT-Andy M.

Comment

Originally posted by redhotchevy2000 View Post
                            im sorry but from what i have seen honda paint stinks if you dont take care of it... i dont think the hydrophillic plan will go over very well...
                            I agree!

The paint on my Honda is so soft and fragile. I swear I can cause swirls to appear if I stare at my car long enough. Hehehehe.

Anyway, nothing beats regular washing, polishing and waxing/sealing.

Comment

Lets please make sure this thread stays going in the right direction.

Forum Rules

When Meguiar's Online when live in January 2004 our goal was to create an Online community for learning about car care and detailing. A place for "Car Crazy" enthusiasts to share and learn from the experience and knowledge of others. We pride ourselves on providing a family friendly and polite community for constructive conversation.

Meguiar's Online Member Rules

1. No personal attacks toward members or non-members will be tolerated.

2. No arguing with Moderators or Administrators.

3. You are welcome to disagree but you must be polite.

4. No bashing any company or their products. No bashing other people. If you can't say anything nice about someone, then don't say anything at all.

5. Forum Nicknames and Avatars must be family friendly, they cannot even hint towards anything raunchy, sleazy, sexual or inappropriate. When in doubt we will err on the side of caution and ask you to choose a different nickname. E-mail addresses cannot be used as a forum nickname.

6. Keep language "G Rated", this includes insinuations. If you wouldn't say it in front of your grandparents, your parents or your children, then you shouldn't probably be posting to the Meguiar's Online forum.

7. Only appropriate pictures suitable for all audiences will be allowed, this includes avatars. If the photo is questionable at all it will be deleted at our discretion without warning.

8. Clickable Links are allowed after new members have over 30 substantial posts . Self-promoting clickable links are not allowed and will not be tolerated in messages. Self-promoting links are allowed in signature Lines once a member reaches Level 2 Privileges. Self-promoting statements or phone numbers are also not allowed in your posts.

9. Only one account per member! The only conceivable reason for multiple accounts, would be for fraudulent activity. You will be banned for this action immediately.

10. Continuously breaking the rules to disrupt the online community will result in you being banned from the forum with little or no warning.

11. No Commercial sales or samples from competing companies. One post trying to hawk your wares and you will have banned yourself permanently.

12. All messages posted to MeguiarsOnline become the property of Meguiar's Inc. and may not be deleted without first obtaining permission. Deleting messages without permission will result in immediate banning from the forum.
                              Keeping MOL family friendly! If you need help or have a question, don't hesitate to shoot me an email or PM. 101impala@gmail.com
                              Andy M. Moderator

Comment

Re: Dedicated thread just for questions about so-called paint protection plans/produc

On my latest car, they really tried to sell the coating with a T. It was hard for me to refrain myself, from going mad on those people. I believe it was 600-700 dollars.

First they told me they had really good wax on the car right now protecting it ,yeah right, it was what the car wash sprayed on it. ha-ha.

Then they told me what they'd do is clay the car, and I probably don't know what that is. I told them I clay all the time. Then they told me I could clay for them then! ha-ha.

Then they said they'd heat bond the special stuff to the paint, and they couldn't recommend it more. ha-ha.

The sales lady had told me earlier that she has it on her car and anything just wipes off now. ok.

They accepted me saying no, but it just pains me.

If they want to sell something for that much money, why not sell a program where you pay and they'll wax your car every 2 months for a year or something? That would be better, in my opinion, than talking of a special super paint protection that lasts so long.

The only thing is I bet these dealerships actually believe in this stuff. Maybe I'm wrong, but I think maybe some of them believe in it, with all their heart. They also seem to act like it lasts forever despite the need for the yearly touch up or whatever. It should be six times a year touchup.

Hope that isn't out of line, but I think we all know here at these forums, that these protections don't last forever. Like everyone says, it's really a hard to maintain warranty you're buying.

I don't remember where I read it, but like I read someone say somewhere, if this coating was so amazing, manufacturers would do it, at least some of them, to keep their cars standing out on the road.

Just my opinion though, but boy I worry about my parents and stuff ever paying out that much money, 600-700 on such a product, for the fact they would think they're getting something really special.

Comment

Working...
                                X
                                gtag('config', 'UA-161993-8');