• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Dedicated thread just for questions about so-called paint protection plans/products

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Dedicated thread just for questions about so-called paint protection plans/produc

Originally posted by mb911 View Post

I don't remember where I read it, but like I read someone say somewhere, if this coating was so amazing, manufacturers would do it, at least some of them, to keep their cars standing out on the road.
    The idea being if there really is a miracle coating that lasts a real long time and protects against everything and makes the paint look great... (That's 3 things), then why doesn't the paint manufacture include that with the coating either as a part of the paint system or as a component added after the paint is baked on but before the car leaves the assembly line?

The answer is because such a wax or paint sealant or miracle product doesn't exist, at least not at this time.

Even if there is a miracle coating you can apply or have applied, what do you do when something happens to the coating and how do you take care of the coating?

At this time, it's better to simply take ownership of the car washing and waxing steps and find a product you like and trust and use it as often as needed to keep your car's appearance and value at a level that meets your expectations.

Mike Phillips
    760-515-0444
    showcargarage@gmail.com

"Find something you like and use it often"

Comment

Re: Dedicated thread just for questions about so-called paint protection plans/produc

Exactly true Mike. I'm glad my passion for car care has led me to know not to believe in such claims.

Now, if they had tried to push me to get a clear 3m film on the front bumper. That is actually something helpful. ha-ha. Strangely, many dealers seem to put down the protectors. Much be more work/less profit.

Comment

Re: Special forum just for questions about so-called paint protection plans and produ

Thats just plain sick, You are implying that everyone smokes on here...Yuck

Just use a simple plastic sandwich bag.

PK

Originally posted by buda View Post
        BlackisBest:

You do not need to clay your vehicle unless there is Industrial Fallout (IFO) on the surface.

You can determine this by simply taking the cellophane wrapper off a package of cigarettes and putting it over the first three fingers on your hand. Rub the various horizontal surfaces of the vehicle and if it feels like "sandpaper" then you should use the clay to remove.

You cannot remove this with wax or even with a buffer and compound, it seems to just "stay there" through the process. Claying is the only way to remove.

When finished claying you can try the cellophane trick again and see if you removed it all.

Regards

Bud Abraham
        DETAIL PLUS SYSTEMS
        Super Clean

Comment

Re: Special forum just for questions about so-called paint protection plans and proud

My parents are the same on both of their vehicles..I gave up asking them anymore.

PK

Originally posted by Andy M. View Post
          I know about all of the confusion here personally. My Mom has a 2003 Malibu that she refuses to let me touch due to this so-called paint protection that the dealership sells as a paint protection plan. I keep telling her that I can make it look like new again, but she won't budge. I have brought this up before. She will even tell me I have a scratch here or there, and I tell her I can take care of it. She says that will void my paint warranty. PAINT WARRANTY I SAY! UGH!!!!!

Andy
          101impala
          Super Clean

Comment

Over at Detailing World there's been a lot of talk about some of the new nano-technology sealants--specifically Nanolex and G|techniq. These appear to be the real deal. They apparently need to be applied in a controlled environment by trained professionals, and the cost is expensive. I do not know if these products have made it to the States yet or not.
            Swirls hide in the black molecular depths, only waiting for the right time to emerge and destroy your sanity.
            --Al Kimel

Comment

Originally posted by akimel View Post
              Over at Detailing World there's been a lot of talk about some of the new nano-technology sealants--specifically Nanolex and G|techniq. These appear to be the real deal. They apparently need to be applied in a controlled environment by trained professionals, and the cost is expensive. I do not know if these products have made it to the States yet or not.
              Can you provide some unbiased 3rd party members with some quantitative results?
              2015 Fiat 500 Abarth.
              2011 Nissan Sentra SE-R Spec-V using AMSOIL synthetics. Best 1/4 mile: 14.959 (sold)

Comment

Originally posted by pcfxer View Post
                Can you provide some unbiased 3rd party members with some quantitative results?
                Haha! Unbiased? I don't think there is such a thing as an unbiased detailer.

As I mentioned, Detailing World is the forum where I stumbled upon the discussion of these products. You might want to do a search for the relevant threads. Dave KG, I know, has had some positive initial experience with the Nanolex basic sealant.
                Swirls hide in the black molecular depths, only waiting for the right time to emerge and destroy your sanity.
                --Al Kimel

Comment

I have heard of a product out of the west coast called trident that guarentees the paint on new and used cars for eight years. That almost needs its own infomercial.

Comment

The Finance Guy when I bought my cars really pushed their paint and interior insurance plan. He claimed they coated the vehicle inside and out with some super protectant. What really ticked me off was the scare tactics he used to try to sell it. He claimed customers with 3 month old cars had surface problems that were not covered by warranty. He also said that since the government forced the end of lead paint that my new Honda's were only covered with one layer of water based color and one layer of clearcoat. He was basically trashing their own product.

If my paint starts peeling in 3 YEARS I will make such a scene in the dealership and escalate through the Customer Service division, until they will repaint the car to be rid of me.

I know they try to make extra profit on these things, but the strongarm approach made me mad.

Richard

Comment

hi, there..
                      is it save to use Ultimate Compound and Ultimate polish on the paint protection coating?..
                      or they can damage my paint protection layer?..

Comment

If you use a compound and a polish on a
                        Paint finish it will remove any paint protection

Bud Abraham

Comment

Thanks for the advice, so i cannot use any abrasive stuff right?.. , so i have to use pure polish (ExC step 2)?..

Comment

Originally posted by wijaya View Post
                            Thanks for the advice, so i cannot use any abrasive stuff right?.. , so i have to use pure polish (ExC step 2)?..
                            By proper definition a "polish" is an abrasive also....

If you have a paint protection film on your paint finish all you need to do is apply another coat of the same paint protection product.

However, if there are scratches, abrasions, water-spotting then if will be necessary to correct those problems with a compound, followed by a swirl-remover/polish followed by another coat of paint protection film.

Regards
                            Bud Abraham

Comment

If everyone can stand one more post concerning paint protection plans I believe I can offer some valuable info. I have been on both sides of the issue. I worked as a sales manager at a Toyota/Chevrolet dealership for 20 years before becoming an agent/consultant at a dealer agency 20 years ago. My agency avoided these paint protection programs for years due mainly to the claims made by some finance managers which created unrealistic expectations. Some of the claims made concerning the performance of these products actually challenged the common sense of many consumers. When the vehicle is returned to the customer the only thing that had changed was that bad spot was now a shinny bad spot. Until about 8 to 10 years ago the warranty that came with the purchase of these products had a limit of liability to do nothing more than have the effected area "detailed". In dealershipease this means buff the hell out of it. The customer picks up their vehicle and nothing is actually repaired but that bad area is now shinny. Years ago I came across a product called Xzilon that raised the bar. Xzilon would actually repaint the effected panel. They would also replace any material in the interior that was stained and could not be cleaned. My agency agreed this would address our concerns regarding the customers expectations. Before when the customer realized that his/her vehicle was in fact not going to be repaired the dealer had a very unhappy customer. This is the primary reason we never offered these products to our clients. My agency now offers two similar products....Xzilon and Perma Plate. Bot of these products offer 7 year plans. Do they work as advertised.....NO if we're talking about these products protecting paint or interior for up to 7 years. We train finance managers to present these products as insurance and not some miracle product that will improve your *** life. I've heard a finance manager tell a customer that they didn't even have to wash their car and a garden hose will remove the black break dust that collects on the wheels when treated with xyz product. The product is usually provided to the dealer at no cost. What generates the cost is the activation of the warranty. Claims are simple and I'm not aware of one contract in 8 years being denied. Then again we see very few claims and in most cases claims are so few the dealer forgets how to submit a claim. Does this mean these products actually work or more a case of people forgetting they have this protection? I don't know but I can tell you that a used car is worth considerable more without paint/interior defects when it's time to trade or sell.

Comment

The newest innovation on the market is liquid glass coating which is the "real deal. It is literally a "glass coating" that leaves a shine you have never seen. The protection is several years.

Read my article on liquid glass coating on my Facebook page, explains it all.

Expensive , but not worth what the big names in the field are charging

Comment

Working...
                                X
                                gtag('config', 'UA-161993-8');