• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Best way to remove scratches in clearcoat

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Best way to remove scratches in clearcoat

I have a 97 Mustang that has some light to medium scratches in the clearcoat. They didn't show up too bad until I buffed out the car with #66 and an orbital. I'm used to this, as I detail cars regularly. What's happening is that the scratch collects the dried wax and suddenly that small scratch is white, and stands out like a sore thumb.

I would probably wetsand this scratch out with 2000 and buff it out, but with the car being as old as it is, Im afraid the clear would be easy to sand thru. And being sort of a (factory paint) dark metallic green color, I am also afraid to have the metallic look funny. Sometimes they get light colored in the spots you buff hard or sand on. Normally I sand just enough to basically take the sharp edges off the scratch, and I don't try to completely remove the scratch. This makes a I shaped scratch more V shaped, and doesn't allow the wax to get caught in the scratch.

What would be the best way for me to get out these light clear scratches and remove the least amount of clear doing it?

I'm a pro and have access to a Dewalt variable speed buffer, foam pads, and a cheaper orbital 9" buffer. I know I can get these out. I just want to find a better way.

While Im at it, what do you do about small cracked paint areas that older cars sometimes get. They are usually about 2 inches in diameter, and look like the car has a little egg-shelling. It's not aftermarket paint cracking here though, it's age getting to the clear coat in spots. There's still plenty of clear there, it's just cracked. I think these are too deep to wetsand through. Ideas?
    Perfection isn't good enough.

Re: Best way to remove scratches in clearcoat

Originally posted by Pontisteve
    I have a 97 Mustang that has some light to medium scratches in the clearcoat.

... And being sort of a (factory paint) dark metallic green color, I am also afraid to have the metallic look funny. Sometimes they get light colored in the spots you buff hard or sand on.

On a base/clear finish, that will happen as you skim off the last layer of clear coat.
    See the big picture, enjoy the details

Comment

Working...
    X
    gtag('config', 'UA-161993-8');