• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Alloy rims no clear, pebble texture finish

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Alloy rims no clear, pebble texture finish

I got some Vette Grand Sport rims (black painted polished lip) that had been painted over grey, white and yellow.

Stripped then down to bare alum on the face using Aircraft Remover & they have a texture finish like super heavy orange peal but finer, it actually looks pretty good kinda like real mag rims.

I'm going to leave it as is for now but I want to seal them to make them easier to clean (going on a race car - lots of brake dust from comp. pads)

What to use to seal, later clean, then reseal etc.?

Also the barrel is going to be painted black. I sanded the barrels down (had enough of stripping) to roughed up paint finish.

What paint would hold up to brake fluid, grease, weather etc.

TIA

Well, lots of rims come with a clearcoat. I would think some sort of body shop can apply a clear coat.
    2017 Subaru WRX Premium - WR Blue

Comment

Thanks, I would probably shoot it myself. The hard works all done.

Thinking of leaving it bare though. What wax/sealer to use?

Comment

You'll want a synthetic wax for wheels. Nxt would work good, as would #20 or #21. I'd probably use #21 or Nxt. You can order #21 in a sample size from Autodetailing solutions rather than buying gallon jugs.
        2017 Subaru WRX Premium - WR Blue

Comment

Thanks

Comment

Working...
          X
          gtag('config', 'UA-161993-8');