• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Soft Black Paint Problems

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Soft Black Paint Problems

Hey all, I'm having some problems with working on some soft black paint.

The car has been repainted, the factory single stage is long since gone. The paint seems to scratch and swirl extremly eaisly. I feel like I could scratch it with my finger nail.

I start by QD's the hood and using scratch-X by hand to see how effictive it would be, alas nothing after 10 minutes of 'passion' behind the pad.

I move on to #80 on a W006 on 5 and begin, this seems to be somewhat effective, as I am removing about 50% of the swirls, I do two passes, and I'm not satisfied with the results thus far. I move up to #83 on a differnt W006 pad on 5 again and I get about 80% of the swirls off. At this point I'm satisfied with what I've accomplished, I dont want to compound this finish, so I'm moving on. After I wipe the remaining #83 resude off, I feel like my Microfiber is almost inflicting micromarrings in the finish. I then move on to NXT by hand, I apply and let sit for 30 minutes, its was taking a while to dry. I did a swipe test and it came out clean. When I finally finish taking the NXT off the hood, I have a somewhat greasy resdue left over.

I'm going to bring my QD tomorrow, but I'm worried about this paint, what should I do with extremly soft paint.

And for anyone curious, its a 70's model Hurst Olds. I'll post pics later.

Re: Soft Black Paint Problems

Originally posted by SiriusRIMZ
    Hey all, I'm having some problems with working on some soft black paint.

The car has been repainted, the factory single stage is long since gone. The paint seems to scratch and swirl extremly eaisly. I feel like I could scratch it with my finger nail.
    This sounds like the classic "soft" vs. "scratch sensitive" paint. Is it actually softer or is it a very hard finish that's shows every little mark (reflectivity of the problems magnified by the black color)?

I start by QD's the hood and using scratch-X by hand to see how effictive it would be, alas nothing after 10 minutes of 'passion' behind the pad.
    From what you've said, this acts like a finish that's harder rather than softer. If the finish was soft, ScratchX would work the swirls out and would do it faster, rather than slower or not at all.

I move on to #80 on a W006 on 5 and begin, this seems to be somewhat effective, as I am removing about 50% of the swirls, I do two passes, and I'm not satisfied with the results thus far. I move up to #83 on a differnt W006 pad on 5 again and I get about 80% of the swirls off.
    Hard paint for sure

Given proper conditions and application methods...if a DA won't get swirls out with M83 and several passes, it's hard.

You even mention how it seems the microfiber might be scratching. What brand/type of microfiber is it? It seems rare, but I've seen this and heard of it happening from other people. The most plush of microfibers work best on such a surface.
    See the big picture, enjoy the details

Comment

Working...
    X
    gtag('config', 'UA-161993-8');