• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Meguiar's Roadshow Goes To Dallas!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

After the training session with the G100 Dual Action Polisher, a number of people wanted to learn some advanced procedures such as how to use the rotary buffer. For this demonstration we borrowed the deck-lid on my rental car.

The paint was horribly swirled and scratched as is the norm for most rental car so we ran a tape-line down the center of the deck-lid and clean, polished and waxed the passenger's side.

We used the below combination after wiping the finish clean and claying it to remove any above surface bonded contaminants...
    • 1) Rotary Buffer/1400 RPM/W-7006/M84
      2) Rotary Buffer/1400 RPM/W-8006/M80
      3) G100 Dual Action Polisher/5.0 Speed Setting/W-8006/M80
      4) G100 Dual Action Polisher/3.0 Speed Setting/W-9006/NXT Tech Wax

And here are the results...

Mike Phillips
    760-515-0444
    showcargarage@gmail.com

"Find something you like and use it often"

Comment

After the rotary demonstration that pretty much brought us up to the 3:00pm time and everyone had the opportunity to purchase the products and tools they had just learned how to use from the hard working folks at Wash Solutions.

I couldn't help notice that in one of their glass display cases they had a small collection of antique Meguiar's products so I did my best to capture a couple of photos of them through the glass.

[b]Confidence is high that Meguiar's actually manufactured this product for Buick. I have a cousin of the Buick Glaze in the can which you can see in the bottle to the left.

And they have this really nice example of M03 Machine Glaze in a glass bottle...

Mike Phillips
      760-515-0444
      showcargarage@gmail.com

Comment

Before everyone left for the day, my new friend Logan grabbed my camera and snagged some shots of some of the rigs our attendees drove to the class in, there were a number of nice rides that had already left, but here's what we got...

Here's Tony of Wash Solution's personal ride...

Here's Smitty's Meguiar's Tahoe...

And that wraps up the Detailing Class in Dallas, Texas!

A big thank you to everyone that came, and even though I was a little under the weather I still had a great time meeting each of you and working with you on this day.
        Mike Phillips
        760-515-0444
        showcargarage@gmail.com

Comment

Great write-up and pics Mike....and you even got a shot of my car, as you can see here with the red arrows pointed at it.

Owner, Scott's Mobile Auto Detailing

Comment

thats a sweet truck! isnt that the new harley davidson edition F-150
            Patrick Yu
            2003 Honda Accord
            2008 Honda Accord EX-L V6

Comment

The short answer on the difference in the photo's is, I'm a dummy. I forgot to remove the UV filter I had on the lense, that impacts the coloring of photos taken under incandescents and flourescents... Whoops.

On the Truck, it's Trilogy Motorsports Harley F150 S/C. Supercharged, Mid-length headers, 15" Baer brakes, etc. My personal blog/gallery for the truck is at http://www.trilogyf150.com

I really loved the event, though not so much lovin' the idea of all the paint real-estate on the truck, even with the DA, whooooooooo boy, it'll be a long polish job...
              Logan@Trilogy
              http://www.trilogyf150.com

Comment

Originally posted by Logan@Trilogy
                The short answer on the difference in the photo's is, I'm a dummy. I forgot to remove the UV filter I had on the lens, that impacts the coloring of photos taken under incandescents and flourescents... Whoops.
                First, thank you for playing, Camera Man at the event

Second, I knew there was a simple answer for the difference. In my position, I never mess with, or modify the photos showing defects and before and after with programs like PhotoShop, (Which I don't own), because the enemy is always waiting at the gate looking for opportunity, so I just don't do it. I would rather post the honest results using the photos I have, (Like I did), and answer any questions after the fact than give the enemy ammo for whatever their nefarious reasons might me.

I really loved the event, though not so much lovin' the idea of all the paint real-estate on the truck, even with the DA, whooooooooo boy, it'll be a long polish job...
                Take heart, while it is a big truck with a lot of surface area to tackle, it can be done by one person in a day, you just have to stay focused.

Here's a forum friend, kromdom, that attended on of our Saturday classes with a similar truck only his was Swirl City, using what he learned at a class just like the one in Dallas, and after purchasing the G100 and the associated products, the next weekend he tackled his truck and then posted the awesome write-up to our forum, I've included the link and a few photos...

SWIRLS BE GONE! BLACK is BEAUTIFUL AGAIN!

Originally posted by kromdom
                Firstly, thanks to MIKE for hosting a detail day for HTSC (Harley Trucks of Southern California)...learned a ton to say the least. Special thanks also to 2hotford for his tips and to all the knowledge in this forum. The September special was just icing on the cake.

Here is my tonneau cover:

Mike's HOLOGRAM HALL OF SHAME

After

Check out the thread, it's inspiring...
                Mike Phillips
                760-515-0444
                showcargarage@gmail.com

Comment

Mike ,I want thank you and Mequiars aagin for this ,I will be heading outside in a few to do some much needed cleaning on all 3 of my rides.It has been nasty here since the class. Both sides to your class were great in the classroom and in the garage. I hope you keep your class on the road and bring it to Houston ,you did an outstanding job!
                  2004 MY C5 ,2005 SLK350[BLACK],.1999 Black Suburban .

Comment

Originally posted by Logan@Trilogy
                    The short answer on the difference in the photo's is, I'm a dummy. I forgot to remove the UV filter I had on the lense, that impacts the coloring of photos taken under incandescents and flourescents... Whoops.

On the Truck, it's Trilogy Motorsports Harley F150 S/C. Supercharged, Mid-length headers, 15" Baer brakes, etc. My personal blog/gallery for the truck is at http://www.trilogyf150.com

You can still tell the dramatic difference in the before and after shots, even though the color had a bluish tint. You can tell how the swirls disappeared and the bird drop etch mark was no longer visible.

I thought maybe the camera white balance was set to incandescent or something. The external flash (430 or 580EX) sends white balance information to the camera and some times that can cause the color to vary. If you were using external flash it couldn't compensate for the filter. If you weren't using it, that would be an interesting experiment to see if the flash can compensate for the filter by altering the white balance information.

The exposure was fine, it was not under or overexposed. That has to be hard to do when photographing a highly reflective subject up close.

RamAirV1
                    2015 Dodge Charger R/T Scat Pack 392Granite Crystal
                    2006 GTO Impulse Blue

Comment

Working...
                    X
                    gtag('config', 'UA-161993-8');