• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Is the Meguiar’s Owner, Barry Meguiar, a Member of This Board?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Is the Meguiar’s Owner, Barry Meguiar, a Member of This Board?

Just wanted to know if the guy who invented the Meguiars label is online or a member of this board?
    The guy from the Car Crazy show, Barry.

Just curious, that's all.

Hi NZ440R/T, to MOL!

Don't know if Barry ever hangs out here online. I get the feeling he'd rather spend time face-to-face and shaking hands than tapping a keyboard. He popped into one of Mike's detailing classes I attended and he really is as friendly and enthusiastic as on TV.

He'll be the first to tell anyone he didn't create the company. He's a third generation car polish guy. His granddad, Frank Meguiar Jr., started the company over a hundred years ago.

PC.

(Awesome ride, by the way. Bet you don't have any trouble spotting that in a parking lot down there.)

Comment

As far as I know, Barry doesn't really have the time to hang-out on this forum as he stays pretty busy with all of his other duties. I know he reads it from time to time...

As for the name on the label, check out this thread...

http://meguiarsonline.com/forums/sho...&threadid=2579

Meguair's started out as a Furniture Polish company, I have no idea who did their artwork but it was a family owned and operated business so I imagine back in the early 1900's if a person could do the job, they did do the job, otherwise it would be farmed out to whoever could do the job.

I've seen pictures of family members filling bottles by hand, so it could be that they also made the label or at least the artwork for the label and then after having the label printed, hand applied them.

Here are some early Furniture products, my guess is from pre World War II

I've never seen any furniture specific products by Meguiar's earlier than these, but their must exist some examples somewhere on the face of the earth.

Here are some of the oldest automotive products I've ever seen, I've been told as near as anyone can remember Meguiar's started creating their first automotive polishes in the early 1920's, perhaps 1924? These would be products for use on the assembly line at car manufacturing plants, not Joe Consumer with a Model T in his driveway. Remember, plastic wasn't invented and put into everyday manufacturing use until the 1950's so everything before the 1950's was placed either into a can or a glass bottle.

I just got off the phone with Dick Koeth, one of the longest non-family member employees that's still working for Meguiar's over at Car Crazy and he told me sometime in the 1960's a gentleman by the name of Greg Freitag designed the Meguiar's logo used on the Furniture products of that time and then on the first Consumer Automotive products starting in 1973.

Look at the ornate detail in the logo used on this bottle of A1216 Cleaner/Wax from 1973

Hope this helps...
      Mike Phillips
      760-515-0444
      showcargarage@gmail.com

"Find something you like and use it often"

Comment

Working...
      X
      gtag('config', 'UA-161993-8');