• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

fill in by polishing oil: more important for touch up paint than for original paint?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Mike Phillips
    If you want to polish and protect in one step and don't really need any cleaning action, then Gold Class wax is a polish/wax.

I do not think the Meguiars trade secret polish oils penetrate through "pore imbedding stains" and many other stains.
    (Note the term "pore imbedding stain" is from Meguiars.)

We may get "wet look" on some stains though.

Yes. Actually, any quality wax or polish fills if it leaves something behind on the surface and in the microscopic pores and swirls and scratches. Does that make sense? If you apply a product and after removing the excess the product is leaving a part of itself behind, then it is coating over and filling. This would apply to any product, not just Meguiar's.
    OK, any polish fills. But do they merely fill tiny crevices such as swirls - swirls are NOT "pores" (empty air pockets created because some original resin was gone), or do they also fill "pores"?
    If they fill pores too, then Meguiars trade secret polish oil has no advantage over other makers' products in extending service life of paint?
    The only difference is in visual effect?

Comment

I guess I'm not really sure what your goal is?

What are you working on?
      Mike Phillips
      760-515-0444
      showcargarage@gmail.com

"Find something you like and use it often"

Comment

Here are some pictures that show dirt in paint, or pore-imbedding stains, note the car has been washed and the dirt is not on top of the paint, but -->in<-- the paint.

If you look closely, you can see we have cleaned the driver's side of the hood on this Corvette, but the rest of the paint has a uniform blackness to it, this would be dirt in the paint.

We removed the dirt in the paint by using ScratchX and in some other places, M80 Speed Glaze.

Here's before,

Here's after,

Mike Phillips
        760-515-0444
        showcargarage@gmail.com

Comment

I posted two questions.
          After you posted replies, I wrote some more questions.
          If some of my sentences are unclear, let me know. I used terms I learned at Meguiars web, so I guess many people here have no problem understanding them.

Thank you posting the pictures, but my questions are about "maintaining" effect (or making "service life" longer as written in other text on Meguiars web) of pore-penetrating Meguiar polish oil, not the "beautifying" effect. Before and after pictures does not help.

Comment

Originally posted by ktlimq

but my questions are about "maintaining" effect (or making "service life" longer as written in other text on Meguiar's web) of pore-penetrating Meguiar polish oil, not the "beautifying" effect. Before and after pictures does not help.
            What are your questions about the maintaining effect?

What are you working on? Do your questions have anything to do with what you're working on or are these just questions for the sake of questions?

What is your goal for all of this?
            Mike Phillips
            760-515-0444
            showcargarage@gmail.com

Comment

Look at the difference between the before and after sides of the black paint, after applying M07

After washing the dirt and dust off the top I took a photo to show the dull, dry looking oxidized paint and also applied some painters tape to isolate the two sides for a good before and after shot.

Next I applied some #7 Show Car Glaze to one side and then vigorously wiped the surface off using Meguiar's Supreme Microfiber Shine. As most people know, microfiber polishing cloths are very effective and efficient at removing polishes and waxes off the surface of paint.

To make sure there is no confusion, this is the side I applied and removed the #7 polish onto.

This is the before side with no polish...

As you can see, the polishing oils have penetrated into the paint. In so doing, they have restored clarity, richness of color, gloss and beauty.

As for ---> Maintaining effect<---, which side do you think will now hold up longer, exposed to the elements, the side just polished, or the paint that is dried out?

If the above paint was on your car, and you didn't have any access to wax, do you believe your car's paint would last longer if you polished it often or would it last longer, (or just as long), with no polish and you just let it go?
              Mike Phillips
              760-515-0444
              showcargarage@gmail.com

Comment

What are your questions about the maintaining effect?

Do your questions have anything to do with what you're working on or are these just questions for the sake of questions?

My questions speak by themselves. Of course, they are related to maintaining my car - that is what I am working on -. This fact is manifest in the questions, and many other sentences supplementing the questions.

I do not understand why you think that my questions have nothing to do with maintaining car's paint?

added by editing:

If the above paint was on your car, and you didn't have any access to wax, do you believe your car's paint would last longer if you polished it often or would it last longer, (or just as long), with no polish and you just let it go?
                This has nothing to do with my two initial questions and some questiona there after. I did not say Meguiars' claim about extending life by polish oil is wrong.

Comment

Sorry, I've read all your words and for whatever reason, I couldn't figure out what it is your after.

If you want to take the best care of your car's finish, then a multi-step approach is usually best, that would be,

Wash
                  Clay - If needed
                  Paint Cleaner - If needed
                  Pure Polish - If you desire
                  Wax - Two thin coats in any one detailing session

If you don't want to do that many steps, then use one of our cleaner/waxes, they will clean, polish and protect in one step.

Does that help?
                  Mike Phillips
                  760-515-0444
                  showcargarage@gmail.com

Comment

Working...
                  X
                  gtag('config', 'UA-161993-8');