• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Cutting Pad V Wool Pad

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cutting Pad V Wool Pad

Need suggestions,

Under what condition should I use wool pad or cutting pad ie heavy swirls ? Someone told me that wool pad left very fine marks and therefore easier to get rid of. In contrary, cutting pad leaves deeper marks and harder to eliminate. (using rotary)

thanks.

Re: Cutting Pad V Wool Pad

Originally posted by Tanat198
    Need suggestions,

Under what condition should I use wool pad or cutting pad ie heavy swirls ? Someone told me that wool pad left very fine marks and therefore easier to get rid of. In contrary, cutting pad leaves deeper marks and harder to eliminate. (using rotary)

thanks.
    Hi Tanat198,

When you say cutting pad, do you mean a foam cutting pad?

Or are you talking about wool finishing pads and wool cutting pads?

There are two types of pads, foam or fiber, inside of these two groups there are different options. Besides your choice of pad, your choice of chemical can also affect swirls.

For example, if you use an aggressive cutting compound with a soft foam finishing pad, (a wrong combination by the way), but if you were to do this the finish would have swirls in it and it wouldn't be the fault of the pad it would be the abrasives in the compound.

As far as which type of pad will instill the most swirls, all things being equal, fiber type pads will instill more swirls than foam type pads because the individual fibers that make-up a fiber pad will cut into the paint all by themselves without any abrasive products added to them.

This is why Meguiar's introduced the foam pad back in 1965, it was to help professionals produce a more swirl free finish by getting them away from wool and into foam.

Mike Phillips
    760-515-0444
    showcargarage@gmail.com

"Find something you like and use it often"

Comment

Mike
      Appreciate your suggestions.

Comment

Working...
      X
      gtag('config', 'UA-161993-8');