• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Original 1967 Paint!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Original 1967 Paint!!

Im currently waiting for spring time, so it gives me time to think of spring projects. My dad has a 1967 Chevelle, black paint that is ALL ORIGINAL from 1967 and its really nice. So i need some suggestions about how to start detailing. Last year I did one coat of nxt on it and once i completed it i was pleased but not satisfied. When i was wiping it off the paint was extremly dry as in the rag wouldnt slide nicely over it. So im guessing clay?? But this is all original paint from 67 and i dont wanna do nethin but it needs some good wax on it. and help
    If it aint BLING! it aint CLEAN!

1974 Chevy Nova- Novadizzle

What condition is the paint in? Does it look thin in spots, cracked, oxidized, etc? Or still good shape, just dirty? Is there lots of swirls to fix, or again, just dirty?

I assume yo uare working by hand?

You will certainly be able to use mild products like Clay, DC#1, 2, and Nxt without any problem. ColorX is also very good for a little more cleaning and swirl removal than DC#1, and is easy to apply to a whole car. ScratchX can of course be used in spots, but ***** to do a whole car with.

Clay, then ColorX topped with Nxt/#21 is sweet for a quick touch up.

If it really needs work, you can use a PC, but would need to be carefull about raised areas, where paint might be getting thinner.
    2017 Subaru WRX Premium - WR Blue

Comment

Hi:

I would start with #7, probably 2 applications.

Work it in and remove; then evaluate the paint.

Maybe do a test spot to see if a second application is needed.

Regards,

KTruck
      Make it Shine

Comment

A very good point by KTruck...

If the paint seems dry, or if you just feel like it anyway, a thick coat or two of #7, left on overnight, can help start things off.

Apply it thick, then come back in the morning to buff off. Then move on with cleaning, polishing, and waxing.

I guess you could clay either before or after #7.

Comment

If that's the original paint, then it's 39 years old. Typically single stage black paint is one of the softest paints you'll ever work on because the pigment type is a soft substance as well as the resins or binders themselves.

So when you're working on it, be careful and mindful of any edges and high points. Take your time and focus on the task at hand.

Use the least aggressive product to get the job done. You might consider using Deep Crystal Paint Cleaner as your paint cleaner and apply it using one of our microfiber Even Coat Applicators or a foam applicator and take your time to work the product in and over the finish well.

How well you do the cleaning step will determine your end results, so spend your time upfront investing in the paint cleaning step.

The applications of #7 Show Car Glaze is to try to revitalize the paint before you work on it, typically older paints like this are much more porous or permeable than clear coated finishes and they tend to dry out and oxidize, even if they don't oxidize they can dry out and applying a pure polish like the #7 Show Car Glaze because it's very rich in Meguiar's trade secret polishing oils will be doing everything you can do in your power to give yourself and this paint the best chance of producing the best results possible.

Good luck and how about a photo of the finished results?
          Mike Phillips
          760-515-0444
          showcargarage@gmail.com

"Find something you like and use it often"

Comment

yes, please send before and after photos!

Comment

The skills you learn from reading the below post and the included links will help you to add pictures to your messages on any forum.

How to put pictures into your posts
              Mike Phillips
              760-515-0444
              showcargarage@gmail.com

Comment

Well thanks and ill take the advice

Ill have to take some pics before i start, wont be until may probably!

That show car glaze is what? and polish?? or wax??

Should I clay first tho?

Comment

Hi:

The #7 is a pure polish, no abrasive. It is not a LSP (wax) so it will not provide any protection.

The #7 should "feed" the paint by adding oils back to it and help revitalize it.

If it was me I would apply the #7 and then clay. That way you will be able to save as much of the existing paint as possible.

After you apply the #7, I would then determine what the next step should be.

Regards,

KTruck
                  Make it Shine

Comment

ok so ill do two coats of the #7 then ill follow up with the 5 step detail?? or just go right to wax??

Comment

A full detail would look like this:

1. Wash

2. 1 or 2 thick coats of #7 worked in gently, and left over night. Then remove.

3. Clay

4. Clean - DC#1, etc.

5. Polish - #7 applied and wiped off as normal.

6. Wax - 2 thin coats of your favorite wax

Comment

Originally posted by Murr1525
                        A full detail would look like this:

1. Wash

2. 1 or 2 thick coats of #7 worked in gently, and left over night. Then remove.

3. Clay

4. Clean - DC#1, etc.

5. Polish - #7 applied and wiped off as normal.

6. Wax - 2 thin coats of your favorite wax
                        This is a technique I've used on a lot of antique single stage paints over the years with very good success. Just to note, it's not an official Meguiar's recommended procedure, it's something I learned on my own by working on a lot of old and antique cars and car finishes.

It's a plan for people that have something that is old, original as well as important to them, and want to do everything they can to save the paint that's still on the car and also to take it to its maximum potential.
                        Mike Phillips
                        760-515-0444
                        showcargarage@gmail.com

Comment

The #7 gets worked in and wiped off correct? and once both coats have been wiped off, you leave it overnight to cure right?

This system would prolly work for my nova too but that paint isnt real dry so the regular 5 step would work fine right? or could i substitute #7 for dc polish??

Comment

Originally posted by jumpmanmb87
                            The #7 gets worked in and wiped off correct? and once both coats have been wiped off, you leave it overnight to cure right?
                            Yes, actually, you really only need to apply one application and work it in really well and don't be concerned with getting it all off, the idea is to gorge the paint with the oils found in the #7 Show Car Glaze. When you're ready to start working on the paint, then give the finish a good wipe-down and then start the cleaning step.

Also, #7 doesn't really cure, in fact it will dry, but very slowly as it's very oily. The idea behind working in a coat of #7 to old, antique single stage paints is to revitalize the paint, to kind of condition it, (as much as can be done), before you start working on it.

This system would prolly work for my nova too but that paint isn't real dry so the regular 5 step would work fine right? or could i substitute #7 for dc polish??
                            If the goal is to try to revitalize old paint, then you want to use the product richest in polishing oils and this would be the #7 Show Car Glaze.
                            Mike Phillips
                            760-515-0444
                            showcargarage@gmail.com

Comment

#7 and DC#2 are both pure polishes, and for regular use in the 5-step process, either one can be used. Or #5, #81 as well.

It is just Mike's #7 trick for old paint that needs the #7.

If it were me, I would just buy one polish, #7, and use it for both steps. I have enough Meguiar's bottles laying around already

Comment

Working...
                              X
                              gtag('config', 'UA-161993-8');