• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

NXT won't bond to #26?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• NXT won't bond to #26?

On another board I was reading that it was not recommended to use NXT over #26 as NXT won't bond to the #26.... is that right? Can it be used the other way, NXT then #26. My plan was to use both next time I wax my truck but not sure what way would be best.
    Brandon

2007 Black Chevy Avalanche

My Albums: Avalanche
    Meguiars Online Acronyms - Meguiars Product List....

Yes, if you want to use them together, I think NXT then #26 would be the most reasonable way to do this. I'd give the NXT at least 24 hours before you put #26 on top of it.
    1990 Corvette ZR-1 Bright Red with Red interior Hear it!
    2002 Aurora 4.0 Cherry Metallic with Neutral interior Hear it!
    1997.5 Regal GS Jasper Green Pearl with Medium Gray interior

Comment

I think that is probably some Zaino thinking being applied to NXT. Meguiars designs their products with compatibility in mind. With that being said I would probably apply #26 over NXT only because I would want the most durable product as my base layer.
      Bob
      2001 Laser Red Mustang GT Coupe
      Click Here for pics of my Mustang

Comment

would probably apply #26 over NXT only because I would want the most durable product as my base layer.
        Never thought of it that way....
        Brandon

Comment

The whole bonding issue is way over blown. Just apply the was any way you like and then you be the judge.

I have an upcoming post about bonding that I hope will enlighten a few people on the subject. Here's a hint... mold release wax.

Mike
          Mike Phillips
          760-515-0444
          showcargarage@gmail.com

"Find something you like and use it often"

Comment

Think about this: No matter what you put on or over or whatever, can you imagine ever seeing it flake off?

Nope, neither can I. As long as it's shiny and the water beads, I'm going to figure everything worked out OK.

Tom
            As the light changed from red to green to yellow and back to red again, I sat there thinking about life. Was it nothing more than a bunch of honking and yelling? Sometimes it seemed that way.

Comment

Originally posted by Mosca
              Think about this: No matter what you put on or over or whatever, can you imagine ever seeing it flake off?

Nope, neither can I. As long as it's shiny and the water beads, I'm going to figure everything worked out OK.

Tom
              You know Tom, when plain sense makes common sense, there's no more need to make any other sense.

Mike
              Mike Phillips
              760-515-0444
              showcargarage@gmail.com

Comment

again its me. what product is #26
                TNX
                CONMD

Comment

FROM Meguiars web site:

Hi-Tech Yellow Wax #26
                  Enhances the depth of your car's color. This unique professional-grade formulation blends premium yellow Carnauba wax with silicones, polymers and other specialty waxes It provides maximum high gloss protection while it actually deepens your paint color. No wonder Hi-Tech Yellow Wax is the professional's choice! Made For Professionals

Got to www.meguiars.com and search for Hi-Tech Yellow Wax

I think this is a very easy was to apply and remove, it will leave a great finish.
                  Brandon

Comment

Tom
                    My thoughts exactly!...I've always thought that bonding issues were overblown anyway...Just my .02 on the matter.
                    r. b.

Comment

Tom
                      no hearing what everyone has to say I see your point.
                      Brandon

Comment

I gave the NXT/#26 combo a testdrive with my first application of NXT recently. I only applied it to two test areas however...

My observations:

After applying the NXT, I was blown away by the gloss and general reflectivity but hoped for just a bit more depth as I think depth is key on a dark vehicle.

I allowed the NXT to 'cure' for 24-36 hours and brought it back out into the daylight and noted that the depth seemed to have improved (along with the natural light that I was utilizing to see the vehicle's finish).

From here, I wanted to give the #26 a try. The NXT was AWESOME but, I wanted to see if I could raise the bar a quarter inch.

I applied #26 with the PC and polishing pad over half of the hood and half of my tailgate. I removed with a DF Concours MF towel and sat back and examined.

At first, I didn't see a big difference but, as time went on, I started to note that the test areas seemed to have a little more depth and more of that classic carnauba look. Indeed, there was a noteable difference... I say this because even my wife (who is not very savvy when it comes to vehicle appearance) said that she could tell a difference.

To date, the jury is still out on if there were any problems with the NXT / #26 combo but, I suspect that they layered well. Further, I'm sure that the carnauba will enhance not only the luster/depth but also the level of protection.

So far, it's a DEFINITE two thumbs up from me!!!

-The Final Detail-
                        Lagrange, Kentucky
                        thefinaldetail@insightbb.com
                        CLICK HERE TO VISIT MY GALLERY

Comment

Re: NXT won't bond to #26?

Originally posted by gb387
                          On another board I was reading that it was not recommended to use NXT over #26 as NXT won't bond to the #26.... is that right? Can it be used the other way, NXT then #26. My plan was to use both next time I wax my truck but not sure what way would be best.
                          gb387,

Mike's recent thread about bonding pointed out some interesting theories on the bonding issue. Still, if it were me, and I were "trying" to layer, I would be appying the #26 over a couple light coats of NXT. If for no other reason, I've found the #26 to have almost no cleaning ability, and shouldn't remove the NXT. On the other hand, the NXT has a "tiny" amount of cleaning ability that might remove some of the #26.

Then again, Mike's point about contamination that is not always cleaned off the paint with washing and/or QD'ing is a good point. Doesn't make a lot of sense to layer over contamination.

Just my 2 cents.

Having said all that, one would think that the better one maintains their paint, the more apt they are to get away with layering. For someone who simply washes once a week or so, and then applies a coat of wax every 4 to 6 weeks........... layering may not be such a good idea........... without some "cleaning" of the paint surface before, or during the waxing process.
                          Boss_429

Comment

I just posted this to this thread,

Originally posted by Mike Phillips
                            It used to be that applying a wax to often was considered a bad thing because you could get a wax build-up on your paint.

Now days, a wax build-up is a good thing, only it’s called, Layering.

Go figure...

(The times they are a changing.... "Bob Dylan")

Mike
                            Mike
                            Mike Phillips
                            760-515-0444
                            showcargarage@gmail.com

Comment

i just want to share my experience on 'layering' since i often do this at least once a week, everytime i got my car washed.

i prefer applying #26 first after applying a coat of #7. this way the color of the car deepens further as compared to applying a polymer sealant (#20) or the medallion paint protection directly after #7.

i really do love to experiment on what products to layer that will give the best shine and protection, and #26 topped with any meguiar polymer products gives the best shine and protection so far. i havent tried the NXT tech wax since it is still in-transit.

attached is a sample reflection picture. please focus on the reflection of the plant on the rear door... i am not good in taking pictures and the picture was taken using a camera fone! next time i'll use a videocam in taking pictures...

Comment

Working...
                              X
                              gtag('config', 'UA-161993-8');